Doris Day Forum Banners 2017

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
jmichael
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2017

Unread post by jmichael »

Johnny wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 11:16
The West Point Story could have benefited from being filmed in colour. Although it is a simple story, seeing James Cagney, Doris Day, Virginia Mayo, Gordon MacRae and Gene Nelson sing and dance makes it an enjoyable experience. The songs, By The Kissing Rock, Long Before I knew You, You Love Me are a pleasure to hear and see.

I don't think the 1950 TWPS audience was disappointed or exhilarated. People went to the movies to see performers they love and have a good night out. Doris looked like she was having a great time in The West Point Story and I think the audience shared that feeling.
I think you are right when you say audiences went to the movies out of habit then. Television hadn't taken off yet and a night at the movies was probably the most popular and affordable form of entertainment.

Well said, Johnny.

Mihcael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

We've reached the end of our journey - I've combined the final two films, Starlift, which I haven't seen, and The Tunnel of Love:

I've asked Michael to lead a discussion on the films that didn't make the grade, nine in total, but first your thoughts on these two?

Starlift, 1951: http://www.dorisday.net/starlift/

The Tunnel of Love, 1958: http://www.dorisday.net/tunnel-of-love/
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Michael.

My father taught my brothers and I that going to the movies as a family is like going on a vacation or an adventure without having to pack. (I am sure I said this before) We get to see new places, meet new people and share their story for two hours.
After the movie we would talk excitedly about the movie on the walk home. There was never a Doris Day movie that we would miss. Dad as a huge Doris Day fan said this that has stayed with me :" Doris Day never disappoints, she just makes movies enjoyable". She can do anything and is so genuine.

About Doris Day's singing, he said her voice is a heavenly experience.

Doris Day movies may be criticized but it is difficult to criticize Doris Day. There are few actors that are as skilled to act in dramas, comedies, and musicals, sing and dance like Doris Day. In addition, Doris was the number one box office star in the world for five consecutive years.

What actor today comes close to this accomplishment by Doris Day.

This love of movies has stayed with me and my family to this day. It is only in retrospect that I can appreciate what a valuable lesson and gift that was given to us. I am so thankful.

My only wish today is to see a feature film on a Doris Day biography that honours her talent and humanity.
Johnny

webmaster

You're an excellent ambassador for her, Johnny. 8)

jmichael
Honorary Member

webmaster wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 09:12
You're an excellent ambassador for her, Johnny. 8)

^ So true!

I am a complete bust on these two because I've never seen either one all the way through :oops:.

The premise of TOL was off putting - it seemed disrespectful to the Doris Day character and I cannot buy Richard Widmark as a romantic comedy lead. Wasn't Glenn Ford the original choice? I once watched about twenty minutes and bailed.

As for Starlift, I have only seen a few of Doris' scenes :shock: .

Heading to the corner of shame now.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

I'm surprised to see both of these films (and others) making the list ahead of, say Lucky Me or Caprice, which despite the criticism, were full-on Doris giving it her all - in glorious colour! :?

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

I agree, Bryan.

As to Starlift, the American entertainment industry at that time was very supportive of U.S. military troops.
Starlift was Warner Bros.' attempt to showcase its stars who were among the most visible in their public support of troops. (At the time of filming, U.S. combat troops had been in Korea for almost a year.) The film was much less of a story than a talent display. I'd give it high marks for intent and low marks for plot.

As much as I liked Glenn Ford, I don't think even he could've helped Tunnel of Love -- although his chemistry with Doris likely would have been far better than Widmark's. It's one of two DD films I wouldn't choose to watch again. I like her recording of the snappy title song, though.

webmaster

I quite enjoyed The Tunnel of Love when I first saw it on TV (Starlift has never been on TV in the UK to my knowledge). I even liked Richard Widmark with Doris - and Gia Scala & Elisabeth Fraser. I don't remember Gig Young very much! I don't think I really understood the plot, I just liked the fact that Doris was in it. :)
Doris Day wrote that her manager/husband Martin Melcher was terribly concerned over the box-office failure of this film and It Happened to Jane (1959). Their failures caused Day to drop out of the Top Ten Box Office Stars. Day and Melcher had words about him hustling her into almost any film for the money instead of waiting to find good scripts that would have produced better results." - IMDB

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

As always fantastic banner Bryan, thanks♥[/color ]Doris looks beautiful here˜❤️˜

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

jmichael
Honorary Member

Thanks Bryan for posting the IMBD comment about Tunnel Of Love. I guess it was a wake-up call for Marty and Doris. She was apparently able to convince him to hold out for better scripts, as in Pillow Talk, instead of making deals purely for financial reasons.

Tunnel of Love is a classic example of what happens when you put the business before the show.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Pity he didn't stick to putting content before cash, Michael, as evidenced by some of her final films. :evil:

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Looking at the last two banners of Doris Day favourite films, Starlift and Tunnel of Love, it prompted me to check out Storm Warning ratings.

The Doris Day Films Topic rated the films:

Starlift. Tunnel Of Love. Storm Warning

Poor -1. 11. 0

Average 14 19. 8

Good 5. 14. 27

Excellent 3. 6. 15

Not Seen 6. 0. 0

Total Votes 29. 50. 50

It is puzzling how a really good film noir such as
Storm Warning did not receive votes to be among favouite Doris Day films. I would rate Storm Warning amongst the top 10. Doris in a supporting dramatic role did a good job as the naive, sweet wife of a Ku Klux clan husband. It is a shocking film for the period.

Bryan, the favouite Doris Day film banners is a great catalyst for really enjoyable and thoughtful discussions. Thank you for all your great work.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Johnny wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 10:55
It is puzzling how a really good film noir such as
Storm Warning did not receive votes to be among favouite Doris Day films. I would rate Storm Warning amongst the top 10. Doris in a supporting dramatic role did a good job as the naive, sweet wife of a Ku Klux clan husband. It is a shocking film for the period.

Bryan, the favouite Doris Day film banners is a great catalyst for really enjoyable and thoughtful discussions. Thank you for all your great work.

Because it's the only film in which Doris' character dies. Some fans find that too painful, which makes it difficult for them to appreciate the film on its own merits. Just my theory.

Agree with Johnny's comment about the film banners prompting thoughtful discussion. Great idea, Bryan.

Michael
Michael H

jmichael
Honorary Member

It's A Great Feeling - 1949

"It's A Great Feeling" was lighter than air and immediately forgettable, but it was also breezy escapist fare that left no unpleasant aftertaste. Dennis Morgan and Jack Carson gave solid performances. Doris was perhaps a bit hyper at times, but her genuine sincerity and warmth were irresistible. I enjoyed the many star cameos, awarding top honors to Joan Crawford for the clever send-up of her Mildred Pierce character. While the plot was as old as vaudeville, the film coasted by on the charm and energy of the performances along with the dazzling array of WB stars who popped-up from time to time. As The New York Times critic noted: "the feeling it leaves may not be great precisely, but it is pleasant."

One additional observation: Doris played a variation of the same character in her first three films. Georgia Garrett, Martha Gibson and Judy Adams were all fledgling performers who were trying to catch their big break into show business.

What do you think - should it have been included on the list?

Michael

Top honors to Joan Crawford for the clever send-up of her Mildred Pierce character.
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I would have liked It's A Great Feeling to receive some votes. It is a more enjoyable film than Starlift which is similar in having a parade of Warner Bros. stars make cameo appearances. There are great moments of fun. There is also the song Blame My Absent-Minded Heart which is a pleasure to hear.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Taking a look at the ratings of the 39 Doris Day films and the total number of individuals that rated each film, I thought it would be interesting to examine the totals. The films are ranked from the highest to lowest total numbers.

Calamity Jane -88
Pillow Talk - 86
The Pajama Game -82
The Man Who Knew Too Much -78
The Thrill Of It All - 77
Young At Heart -76
The Glass Bottom Boat - 75
Midnight Lace - 75
Love Me Or Leave Me - 74
Teacher's Pet - 74
That Touch Of Mink - 74
Move Over Darling -71
Lover Come Back - 70
Caprice -69
Send Me No Flowers - 69
It Happened To Jane - 65
Romance On The High Seas - 63
Billy Rose's Jumbo - 61
By The Light Of The Silvery Moon - 60
Julie - 58
Lullaby Of Broadway - 56
Do Not Disturb - 55
Lucky Me - 55
Please Don't Eat The Daisies - 55
With Six You Get Eggroll - 54
Tea For Two - 53
April In Paris - 50
Storm Warning - 50
Tunnel Of Love - 50
Where Were You When The Lights Went Out - 50
My Dream Is Yours - 47
I'll See You In My Dreams - 46
On Moonlight Bay - 45
The Ballad Of Josie - 44
Young Man With A Horn - 42
The Winning Team -40
West Point Story - 38
It's A Great Feeling - 36
Starlift - 29

The two surprises on the lower ratings totals on the list are Please Don't Eat The Daisies at 55 and On Moonlight Bay at 45.
Johnny

webmaster

Yes, me too, Johnny. Fun is the right word! And thanks for the stats.

Doris Day did not consider this film as much of a picture, but she was enjoying the role of movie actress and it came naturally to her. She also liked the regular hours of the studio, compared to the late night hours she had spent on the bandstand for several years."
One of the film’s guest stars, Joan Crawford was asked by studio boss Jack Warner to play Doris’ sister in the film Storm Warning; Joan declined saying “Come on, Jack. No one would ever believe that I would have Doris Day for a sister!” – Derald Henry
http://www.dorisday.net/its-a-great-feeling/

Excellent summing up of the film, Michael! And thanks to Puck for the image. 8)

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Bryan and Puck for the warm and charming It's A Great Feeling banner.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Yes, thank you Puck and Bryan for the lovely banner.

A huge thank you to Johnny for tallying the votes and ranking the films in order of popularity.

I was surprised to see that Love Me Or Leave Me ranked as low as it did. I would never have predicted Young At Heart to rate above it or popular films like Glass Bottom Boat, Midnight Lace and Teacher's Pet. There were a few other surprises too. I never thought Where Were You When The Lights Went Out? would rank that high or that Romance On The High Seas would be so far down the list. Very interesting results!

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Michael and Bryan.

The totals indicate the number of individuals who rated each of the films. It may not indicate the popularity of Doris Day films accurately.

When there is time I will start listing the comparison of numbers on the rating of excellence for each film.

Numbers often can be misleading but do tell a story.
Johnny

webmaster

I followed the number of votes each film got and these are the figures I came up with:

Love Me or Leave Me 27
Pillow Talk 22
Calamity Jane 20
Romance on the High Seas 15
The Thrill of It All 15
The Man Who Knew Too Much 14
The Pajama Game 13
The Glass Bottom Boat 11
With Six You Get Eggroll 9
Lover Come Back 8
Move Over Darling 8
Lullaby of Broadway 7
Teacher's Pet 6
Midnight Lace 6
I'll See You in my Dreams 4
Please Don't Eat the Daisies 4
Send Me No Flowers 4
On Moonlight Bay 3
Young at Heart 3
Julie 3
It Happened to Jane 3
Jumbo 3
By the Light of the Silvery Moon 2
That Touch of Mink 2
The Ballad of Josie 2
My Dream is Yours 1
Young Man With A Horn 1
The West Point Story 1
Starlift 1
Tunnel of Love 1

Total votes: 219

jmichael
Honorary Member

This looks more realistic and I suppose the difference was in the methodology.

Either way, this was a lot of work, so kudos to both of you for putting the figures together.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Bryan, it appears the numbers you listed were from the recent voting on Doris Day Films. They give an interesting 2017 perspective. Thank you.

The numbers I listed were older and came from the topic, the Films Of Doris Day that used a rating system (Excellent - Good -Average - Poor- Haven't Seen It). I like this range of information.

I have compiled the numbers on the Excellent Rating and will post them soon. There is so much to discuss about the rich topic of Doris Day Films and hopefully the numbers listed will prompt further interest and discussion.
Johnny

webmaster

Oh, thanks, Johnny, I was wondering why they were so different. I think most fans would agree that Love Me or Leave Me, Pillow Talk and Calamity Jane are their three favorite films. :)

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Bryan to quote DD when Les Brown asked her during his stint on her 1985 Television show [Best Friends] to re-join the band for a one off with proceeds going to the animals - DD [looking fabulous in the moonlight replied

"I'll think about that..."

You are probably correct though re- the top 3 - Pillow Talk is always my number one and LMOLM would def be in my top 3. Calamity has enduring appeal to the young...