Doris Day Forum Banners 2017

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2017

Unread post by webmaster »

Thanks Renie for all your info - hopefully, you'll be Our Fan in Cincinnati and report back. And anyone else attending, of course - are you planning on going, Michael?

Apparently, Jackie Joseph contacted Doris and DDAF earlier on and they will be represented. Mary Anne has also been invited to speak at the event

This is an earlier email from Cincinnati Council to Bob and forwarded to me:
We have confirmed with Doris’ team that they will be available on Wednesday, September 27th, so the plan is to have this event at City Hall on Wednesday 9/27 at 2pm. (Latest news suggest other activities earlier.) Please mark your calendar! PG has asked for some help from you in wrangling those in the community you think would be interested and those who appreciate her contributions. The foundation will be sending someone to attend. I have reached out to the Esquire and the Film Commission and am going to do a few others next. I’m optimistic that we still have a month to come up with something in that regard, but all good ideas are appreciated!

I also like the idea of having her image and perhaps a clip available in council chambers – we will work on that too. We would also love for you to speak very briefly at that event about your involvement with all of this.

We would love a packed house so feel free to invite broadly!

Thanks!!!

Elida

Elida Kamine
Chief of Staff
Office of Councilmember P.G. Sittenfeld
801 Plum Street, Suite 354
Cincinnati, OH 45202
www.cincinnati-oh.gov
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I wonder if anyone from Cincinnati City Hall has reached out to major entertainment news programs such as Entertainment Tonight or talk shows like The View to promote this well deserved tribute to Doris Day.

The outreach could also make people aware of Doris' work for animals and in particular the work being done in helping animals that were affected by the hurricanes in Texas and Florida.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Great to get something official! Thanks Bryan.

I cannot make it - parenting duties, volunteer work, etc, will keep me at home.

Look forward to hearing all about it.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

jmichael
Honorary Member

Johnny wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 10:13
I wonder if anyone from Cincinnati City Hall has reached out to major entertainment news programs such as Entertainment Tonight or talk shows like The View to promote this well deserved tribute to Doris Day.

The outreach could also make people aware of Doris' work for animals and in particular the work being done in helping animals that were affected by the hurricanes in Texas and Florida.
Amen, Johnny, why hasn't this been publicized more widely so that fans have enough time to make travel arrangements? Sinatra, Fitzgerald and others have been publicly honored many times, but Doris has rarely been given this kind of honor. I want the media to pick up on this. it could even help DDAF raise more money now to aid displaced animals from the hurricanes, as you so correctly mentioned. Maybe we will hear something soon. Hope so.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Michael.

Do you think if members of the Doris Day Forum made a concentrated effort and emailed and/or tweeted Entertainment Tonight about the Doris Day tribute and other programs as well, it may help promote the event?

I also wonder about the mean age of Cincinnati council members and if they have seen Doris Day films and heard her recordings. There are many people under age forty who are unaware of Doris' talent. Hopefully the people of Cincinnati are well informed and appreciate Doris' immense talent.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Great idea, Johnny. If the Hollywood Reporter and Variety could be given the info, too, then I think the major news networks might pick up the story. If so, that would generate much wider interest. (I'm having e-mail problems or I'd try to notify them. Would someone else like to give it a go?)

jmichael
Honorary Member

I just sent a message to someone at DDAF, suggesting it would be beneficial to publicize the event in the media. Doris has - or used to have - a PR guy named Charley Walters, so maybe he is working on something official. Well connected publicists have the contacts and network in place to get the word out. That seems to be the best way for this to grab media attention. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks,
Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Liz Smith is on the case but, as with the rest of us, is finding that the details are emerging slowly:
THIS ‘N THAT:

... ON September 27th, the city of Cincinnati will honor home girl Doris Day — who has never won an Oscar!!!!! — on September 27th at City Hall. Details are a bit sketchy, but this is what we know — a street may be named in her honor, there will be a screening of “Pillow Talk” at the Esquire Theater, and a fundraiser for her Doris Day Animal Foundation on the 28th. Clips from DD’s films will also rotate on screens at a Cincinnati video store, which will also serve “Day-inspired drinks.” (Watch out for the “Love Me or Leave Me” margarita!)

Miss Day — who has never won an Oscar!!!! — deserves every honor she gets.
http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/guest ... -a-changin

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi all,

Great news, great event. Wish I could attend...
On Doris Day's website:
http://www.dorisday.com/news/cincinnati ... and-street

Enjoy, keep up the good work here!!!

P

jmichael
Honorary Member

Excellent, Peter, thanks for posting the link.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Peter, thank you for posting this information. It is wonderful to read about Doris' response to this special event. It is great to know that Pillow Talk will be screened. I am sure new viewers will be delighted.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

I posted the info on a number of Facebook Doris Day fan pages (and a Rock Hudson page too) this morning. Hoping some of these folks will be able to make the trip.

Michael
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Great idea, Michael.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Bryan, thanks for the updated and classy banner - love that picture of Doris with the WLW mike. The excitement is building and it is going to be an awesome day in many ways. So glad the media is starting to really pick up on this once in a lifetime event to honor Cincinnati's Finest - DORIS DAY!

Thanks to Dr, Bob Maltz, this event is happening - just saw him last Thursday when I was in Cincinatti sharing my memories of Doris to the Fairfield Womens Group - they had record attendance as they are all big DD fans. Had to laugh when one lady came up to me after my presentation and said, "Had to feel sorry for your parents with such a determined daughter." Yes, I had my eye on the prize since grade school and thank God, my parents went along with my dreams.

11 days until D-DAY in Cincinnati - Happy DAYS are here again!!!! Hope Doris will be able to rejoice in this awesome honor for such a Great Lady.

Hope many fans and friends will be able to make the trip for this very special recognition.

Thanks again Bryan for the timely, beautiful and informative banners - love them!!!!

Have a Great Day!!!
Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

webmaster

Thanks, Mary Anne and yes it is exciting and hats off to Bob Maltz, the unsung hero in this venture. It just shows the power of the individual with a passion (as describes most of us on here!)

I've redone the banner image to make it function as a sort of quick press release, with links to dorisday.com and cincinnati-oh.gov for more information.

If you don't see the above as the main banner, clear your browser history for the past day. There's nothing stopping any of us emailing the banner to any news outlet with an email containing a few more details. Would anyone like to compose a standard email that we could all use? Johnny, Judy, Jas, Michael, etc? :) You can use and adapt my text or write something completely new. We've only got 10 days before the event so I don't think we should wait on anyone else. I could send one to the BBC, for example, so I'm sure we all have ideas.

Thoughts?

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Bryan, yes, please do send this to all media outlets you know and hopefully others on the Forum will go the same..we want this to be BIG and it looks like it is going to be just that.

Another person to thank is JACKIE JOSEPH - she was the link we needed to get the info to Doris and her people - when I called Jackie she was more than willing to do so, so a great big shout of and THANK YOU to JACKIE JOESPH - without her, this would not be taking place.

Thanks to Jackie and Dr. Bob Maltz, D-DAY is going to happen in Cincinnati on Septembber 27th - everyone i invited to join in on the festivities...

Your banner is a great PR tool to share with media...Thanks again for ALL you are doing to promote a very special day for a very special DORIS DAY!!!! Onward and Upward!!!

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

JMoore

Unread post by JMoore »

I sure hope Mary Anne isn't speaking Doris doesn't want it! She has already told officials "no former employees represent her in any way or speak on her behalf."

webmaster

Mary Anne is not representing Doris.
As Doris' website says:
DDAF director and Doris’ long-time friend, Lea Price, will represent Ms. Day with a very special message. All of the festivities are open to the public, so tell your friends, and join the celebration if you are in the area! http://www.dorisday.com/news/cincinnati ... and-street
So can we concentrate on the positive, please?

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Right you are, Bryan.

By the way, videos of Cincinnati's weekly Council meetings are posted on the City's website. Looking forward to seeing the one from September 27.

webmaster

That's good news, Judy, we'll have to look out for that, thanks. :)

webmaster

Where'd everyone go? Have you all seen this:

UPTOWN PLUCK - Six decades after her greatest hit,
and a lifetime since Evanston’s own left home and made good,
we’re still over the moon about Doris Day

Doris Day
ILLUSTRATION BY AUTUMN WHITEHURST
Introduced in Alfred Hitchcock’s 1956 movie The Man Who Knew Too Much, it soon became a jukebox staple, and it’s one of the few non-rock songs of that era that even millennials can probably hum. But from its fake-Spanish title on down, it’s one of the odder American songs of any era to become universally beloved.

Not only is “Que Sera, Sera” a philosophy lesson, it’s the only one that turns fatalism—“What will be, will be”—into a sunnily upbeat view of life. That’s why it’s a uniquely American sort of national treasure. So is the Cincinnati gal who sang it, and who went from thinking it was a “kiddie song” and “not my kind of lyric” to recognizing it was the perfect expression of her life story.

Now 95 years old, the former Doris Kappelhoff has lived for decades in a town as unlike the Queen City as a place can be while remaining part of these United States. Just try finding a decent Schweinenknacken Kotellet mit Sauerkraut in Carmel, California. Good German-American cooking was what she claimed she’d missed most during a rare return to her native city to promote one of the 39 movies she starred in between 1948 and 1968.

The two-story brick house where she spent her girlhood idolizing silver-screen hoofer Ginger Rogers and studying Ella Fitzgerald’s phrasing on the radio still stands on Greenlawn Avenue in Evanston, looking disheveled but sturdy in a Pippi Longstocking way. It’s privately owned and not a museum, but enterprising tourists sometimes track down the address to make pilgrimages. You see, not long after Doris started singing on WLW—not an all-talk station then—and in area restaurants and nightclubs in 1940, a local bandleader named Barney Rapp convinced the 16-year-old chanteuse to start calling herself Doris Day.
READ MORE: http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/featu ... own-pluck/

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Thanks for this link, Bryan. I think it's a better-than-average story . . . but heartily disagree with the writer's view that Doris's performance in "Love Me or Leave Me" was merely "good." (Also, readers are left with the impression that she actually received the $22.8 million judgement in the Rosenthal case when, in fact, she accepted much less -- about $6 million -- to avoid further litigation after he appealed the verdict. Not that
$6 million is a pittance at all, but it's a far cry from nearly $23 million!)

webmaster

Yes, Judy, she was much more than good in Love Me or Leave Me - Oscar-worthy, most of us would say. And not only a fantastic performance but incredible singing (and great dancing!). She should have gotten a double Oscar!

And the $6 million was daylight robbery - luckily she has a faith and spirituality that allows her to be philosophical about such things - exemplified by her signature song, Que Sear, Sera, Whatever Will Be, Will Be.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Did miss a lot, but a wonderful banner, and yes " loveme or leave me" was a Oscar worth, just like "Calamity Jane",

webmaster

Thanks, Puck.

Five days to go until Doris Day Day in Cincinnati: