Doris Day Forum Banners 2017

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2017

Unread post by Musiclover »

Tybear, Bryan said exactly what I was thinking. Welcome back!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Ditto. :D

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Hello, I love you, won't you tell me your name? :D
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Bryan, thank you this cheerful, sunny Doris banner radiating a golden light. Just beautiful!
Johnny

webmaster

Thanks, Johnny! Doris: our ray of sunshine. :)

Commiserations on the Las Vegas shootings. I know we're all aware of the awful things going on that we don't want/need to discuss here - our escape from it all.

I'm sure you all recognise the photo below of Doris publicising her book 'Doris Day: Her Own Story' that I came across (and remembered how much I liked it). Has anyone not read the book? I must admit I haven't for many years. Has anyone read it recently? Does it stand the test of time?

I've sort of given up reading books and only listen to audiobooks these days. I've usually got too many things to do to sit and read and have gotten to love my 'book at bedtime', continued the next day if necessary, or traveling or sitting in the park. Does anyone here listen to audiobooks? Doris isn't really represented on audiobooks (Audible being the main one I use), only one short reference book while there are tons of books about Marilyn, Debbie, Grace, Joan & Betty, etc.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Bryan, the banner and the photo (January, 1976, I believe) above are really great.

It's been 4 or 5 years since I last read Doris's memoir, but I think it still accomplishes one thing she set out to do, which was to encourage others that adversities can be overcome. Seems to me that that's a timeless and important message. (I prefer to hold a book in my hands, and so I don't listen to audio books or read them electronically.)

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I think her book stands among the best show business autobiographies.

She was candid without dishing the dirt or revealing anything that might hurt someone else or compromise her integrity. There were no salacious tidbits thrown-in to appease the publisher or tweak sales. I'm sure she held back on some things that were sacred to her, but I still came away with a strong sense of who Doris Mary Anne Kappelhoff really is. When she revealed things that were personal in nature, that information felt necessary to provide insight into the woman behind the public persona. This was quite a change from the carefully orchestrated public image that Marty worked so hard to maintain when she became a big star. My impression is that Doris gradually became freer and less reticent as she got to know Hotchner, although it was clear that she was uncomfortable talking about the book after it was published. Speaking to Hotchner in private was one thing, but going on talk shows to publicize her life was another experience entirely. You have to contrast this other female stars who wrote autobiographies and basked in the talk show spotlight when they went on tour. You couldn't stop them from talking if you tried. Show business for Doris Day was a job that she enjoyed doing, not something that nourished her soul or defined her life.

I thought the interviews with her co-stars and people like Les Brown, Terry Melcher and Bob Hope added a lot to the book. They gave me a good impression of what she was like to work with and they filled in some of the gaps that Doris was perhaps unwilling to go into.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Amazing banner, just superThanks Bryan
Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Michael, I share your views summarized in the second paragraph of your observations about the book, especially the last 3 sentences. Most celebrities today could learn a lot from Doris's example.

webmaster

Thanks, Ania!

And thanks for your comments, Judy. I think that Doris was trying to show her 'other side' in that book - probably because she was aware that people thought that the person they saw on the screen was the real her. Not realising that she, like everyone else, had her problems. A putting-the-record-straight kind of book. Today or in the last decade I think she'd write a different book - probably a lot more upbeat.

Great analysis, Michael, the point that "Speaking to Hotchner in private was one thing, but going on talk shows to publicize her life was another experience entirely. You have to contrast this other female stars who wrote autobiographies and basked in the talk show spotlight when they went on tour." was particularly apt.

I just read, sorry, listened to, 'Shirey Jones', being interested in her roles in Oklahoma, Carousel, etc, which was nicely covered but much more time was devoted to her sex life with Jack Cassidy, a detailed threesome they had, etc. I didn't finish it as the last part was heading for the same sexual revelations with her next husband. I also came across a YouTube of her talking about the threesome. Far too much information!

Doris would never have done that! I'm not a prude by any means but certain things should remain private.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Bryan and Judy, thanks for your comments.

I still can’t watch the Barbara Walters interview or the Mike Douglas Show appearance without flinching. Walters was determined to get her to spill the beans on sensitive topics that were acknowledged as rumors in her book, but never confirmed. Doris seemed uncomfortable as she sidestepped every probing question that Walters fired at her, but she did not allow Walters to worm anything out of her or lose her composure.

Although Doris looked absolutely stunning, she was equally uneasy when Mike Douglas made several feeble attempts to get her to talk about Al Jordan and other unpleasant experiences. I was never a fan of Douglas’ effusive interviewing style, but he really miscalculated with Doris, who was having none of it. Steve Allen tried to save it, but there was one long, awkward silence after another. And then Douglas compounded his mistakes by goading her into singing without any advance notice. What was he thinking?

Michael
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Bryan, you're spot on that some things should remain private. It seems like discretion has gone out the window! I'm not a prude either, but I stopped reading Carly Simon's autobiography for the same reason that you stopped listening to "Shirley Jones."

Michael, I, too, thought that it was obvious in those interviews she did with Walters and Douglas that Doris wasn't comfortable -- but what I also recall about them is how gracious she was in spite of that. Somehow she's able to be frank without being rude -- yet another of her good traits for people to emulate.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Shirley Jones recently appeared here in an autobiographical stage play titled Have You Met Miss Jones? with her son Patrick, who wrote and directed the production. It was based on her book but mercifully omitted the salacious episodes that Bryan mentioned. She talked about Jack Cassidy's philerandering and his bisexuality but did not go into the details. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the show came off and I thought she was charming.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Yes, paradoxically, Shirley was a very moral person and remained a virgin until she got married. The threesome was something Jack manipulated her into and she never did it again. But, as I said, I didn't buy the audiobook to learn about her sex life. But I think she is a sweet person. She said she had a bit of a crush on Gordon MacRae, which is a totally acceptable comment and as much as you need to know!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Re - the banner- beautiful.

Re - "the" book - it stands up wonderfully- have always seen it more as a self-help book [for me] than a film star's auto-biography- Michael [as always] puts it perfectly. I loaned my copy to a friend going through cancer a few years ago and haven't got it back - must ask - as i could do with a re- read- I read this book every couple of years or so - i find something each time- it is not the usual biography - i read a lot of these- have just got Jane Fonda's and know after a few pages, her's too is going to be special for me, more than just an account of a life, more about how one evolves and deals with life and looks into oneself - and tries to improve.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

There is a line in Doris Day, Her Own Story when Doris describes her philosophy on clothes, that is so revealing. It is "Dressing up is often achieved by dressing down".

Like her clothing philosophy, Doris always is understated, graceful and shows good taste in her revelations about her life experiences.

It is interesting to note Doris speaks in her 1975 book in the appendix about exercise (riding a bike), makeup, wearing perfume. Again, the theme is a classic understatement.

It is no surprise that Doris would not share intrusive personal details about her relationships. A big part of the reason why we continue to admire and love Doris is her dignity and kindness and grace.

Doris Day. Her Own Story is a really well written book that is worth rereading. I often return to the book to check facts when I am posting on this forum.

On a personal note, it is ten years ago today since I first joined the Doris Day Forum. I wish to thank all the members for all your valuable, interesting and informative posts. It has been time well spent and so enjoyable.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Johnny, happy anniversary. 8) :) 8) :D

webmaster

Johnny, you've been a great forum member and your contribution has been outstanding.

Thank you for all you've given us. I really appreciate it. :)

Best regards,

Bryan

jmichael
Honorary Member

Johnny, I concur with Bryan. I always look forward to reading your informative posts. Happy 10th anniversary!

Michael
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Johnny, your posts are an integral part of the forum. Thanks for them, and Happy Anniversary!

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank to everyone for your kind words. Checking in with the Doris Day Forum community each day is a wonderful, uplifting experience.
Johnny

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi Johnny,

Had some trouble to log in... but happy 10th Anniversary! Love you contributions here!
Keep up the good work/information! Love reading it.

P

webmaster

Thank you all. And Johnny, as the 'birthday boy', I invite you to start a discussion about Romance on the High Seas, inspired by Puck's banner. :)

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Bryan!

Puck's beautiful Romance On The High Seas banner artfully captures the joy and happiness that is the film's signature.

How fitting the title of Doris' first film is Romance On The High Seas since audiences fell immediately in love with her and she became a major star.

Doris was fourth billed in the movie but was the central character. She had the opportunity to demonstrate her broad comedic skills, her natural charisma and most importantly, showcase her intimate, heavenly voice singing the classic ballad It's Magic.

Romance On The High Seas was shot in vibrant warm colours that matched Doris Day's personality. It seems that everything about this film served as the perfect introduction for Doris Day to 1948 movie audiences. She made an indelible impression on the film world that is evident to this day.

Looking back it is clear to see why Doris Day is so well loved and became the number one box -office star in the world.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

A delightful banner from a delightful film. Thank you Puck and Bryan.

Michael
Michael H