New Video: Doris Day: Long Ago & Far Way - The Early Years

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
jmichael
Honorary Member

New Video: Doris Day: Long Ago & Far Way - The Early Years

Unread post by jmichael »

Hello Everyone,

Below is a link to a new video that I created to honor Doris this year on her birthday. The video is titled "Doris Day: Long Ago & Far Away - The Early Years" and it is a tribute to the beginning phases of her professional career. I hope you enjoy it. As you will see, this was a highly collaborative project with several forum members, including Howard, Judy, Bryan, Lauren and Peter making tremendous contributions. I hope you enjoy it.

Michael

Happy Birthday, Doris!

Watch or download:

https://tinyurl.com/long-ago-and-far-away
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

overhere
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: New Video: Doris Day: Long Ago & Far Way - The Early Years

Unread post by overhere »

WOW! What a great job.
Thanks for sharing.

Joan

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi jmichael,

A big WOW from me too. When will it be on television... It's so well done. Great respect for putting this video together, a great tibute!!!

Thank you so much for making and sharing. Hope a lot people will watch this great tribute and leave a complement to it's maker!!!

Great Day for Day fans...

P

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Excellent and original "in her own words" video. I found lots of new stuff I didn't know about.

Great work, Michael and a real (free!) treat for fans.

I really enjoyed it - thank you! 8)

Hope Doris gets to see-hear it.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Michael thank you, did really enjoy it, great work, thank you again !!

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo »

This makes it three big WOW's!! What a great and wonderful video. Where in the world did you find the second baby photo of Doris? First time I have seen this photo. This is a wonderful tribute to Miss Doris Day, and also a wonderful birthday present to her. You made my day much happier. Texas Gonzalo

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Really look forward to this - later.

edie

Unread post by edie »

That was wonderful. Thanks for all your work.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Thank you all for the nice comments. This was an eye opening experience because I wasn't familiar with many of her early recordings, nor did I realize what an accomplished vocalist she was at a very early age. I want to personally thank all of the fans and forum members who participated in this project. Your photos and memorabilia made this video a joy to work on. How fortunate we all are to still have dear Doris with us.

Michael
Michael H

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Michael - this is a superb job, just fabulous, I thoroughly enjoyed.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Michael, it was an honor to be a part of this project. Thanks for including me in what turned out to be absolutely fabulous (no surprise!). Great work, maestro!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Michael wonderful video, just fantastic!

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

jmichael
Honorary Member

My sincere thanks to Jas, Howard and Ania for your wonderful feedback.

Thank you all!

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

I meant to say that I also love the title - and the great illustration.

Thanks again, Michael.

PS I guess you've just about covered Dois now? :) There are probably a lot of people who haven't see your other videos about her. We can do something about that at a future date. 8)
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

jmichael
Honorary Member

Bryan,

A few words about the artist who created the cover illustration. His name is Luke Pearson and he is from the Dallas, TX area. He one of Doris' youngest fans and I met him and his father three years ago in Carmel, when I first discovered how talented he is. When I asked him to create a new drawing for this video, he graciously agreed and he did a wonderful job.

You are right in that I have covered the major decades of output from Doris. There may be enough to do one on the 1970's, but I am uncertain about that at the present time.

Thanks for all your support and interest.

Michael
Michael H

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Michael one on her 70s and beyond would be beautiful - . :wink:

patriciag500

Unread post by patriciag500 »

WOW Michael, your video is so wonderful. I LOVE it. Thank you for all of your hard work. You did a fantastic job. Miss Day would love to see this.

jmichael
Honorary Member

patriciag500 -Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I am so glad you enjoyed the video.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Michael,

Thank you!, Thank You! Thank You, and to everyone involved in this project. It is a true joy to watch Doris Day: Long Ago And Far Way -The Early Years.

There are countless moments of insightful commentary, radiant photographs and deeply felt songs that emotionally connected me with the talents and the gift to us all that is Doris Day.

Starting with Terry words expressing that Doris and Ella Fitzgerald all by themselves brought magic to the lyrics to the revelations about Doris being an established singer with the Duke Schumann Band and The Jimmy James Orchestra give more understanding to how Doris 'career evolved.

I loved hearing how Doris really liked the song Sentimental Journey contrary to what has been written. It was illuminating to hear Les Brown speak about how Sentimental Journey came to be recorded in January 1945.

It is the first time I have heard an in depth analysis about Doris' outstanding skills as a great singer both technically and artistically. Rosemary Clooney and Margaret Whiting gave unreserved praise. I loved seeing the photograph of Doris with Peggy Lee and Ben Blue.

The commentary on Doris' time traveling with Bob Hope and being on his radio show gave interesting insights into her comedy timing and sense of humour. I loved hearing Bob and Doris doing their comedy routines. Bob Hope's comment, "Listening To Doris sing a ballad can break your heart" is still true today. Listening To Doris sing While The Music Plays On gave me a new appreciation for the song. It is now one of my favourites.

The comments on her truth and honesty in all her work are true today in her work with animals. The wonderful Robert Osborne interview echoed this same sentiment. Doris' response to his kind words is humility and appreciation. It is truly moving.

I hope all of you who have done such beautiful work on this tribute to Doris know, it is a lasting gift to us all who love her. It is a gift that gives true happiness. Thank you again.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Hi Johnny,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed and thoughtful commentary.

You mentioned the truth and honesty in all her work. I think that is the is key to what makes Doris stand out. It is the reason why she was able to give rich, nuanced vocal shadings at the tender age of 17 to material that was far beyond her years. She instinctively understood what the words meant and rendered them in the most honest way possible. I have no proof of this but I believe she is a keen observer of human behavior and she draws from that to make her vocals and acting performances resonate so deeply.

As you also mentioned - everyone who participated in this project delivered their very best. It was a joy to put it all together and let the magic lead the way.

Thanks so much.
Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Michael,

I forgot to mention how much I like the charming and sweet illustration of Doris by Luke Pearson.

Yes, it is the honesty and truth in Doris' artistic interruption in all her work that creates brilliance. It is called emotional intelligence.

There is an exceptional book by Daniel Goleman called Working With Emotional Intelligence (1998). The booked describes the characteristics that comprise emotional intelligence as self-awareness. self-confidence, and self control; commitment and integrity; the ability to communicate and influence, to initiate and accept change.

Doris excels in all these competencies. It is clear Doris worked tirelessly to do her exceptional best. Doris was born with the heavenly gifts of talent, emotional intelligence and intuition. This is evident in her visionary work for animals.

She has made our world a better place.
Johnny