Day after Day

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Day after Day

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi all,

Came across Jimmy Stewarts website again and found a "Day After Day" song. Could this be the song that Doris is named after?

http://www.jimmystewartontheair.com/day ... ed-a-copy/

Hope the link works,

P

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Day after Day

Unread post by webmaster »

Great oldie website, Peter! But the song Doris got her surname from was Day By Day, wasn't it?:
While performing for a local radio station, Doris was approached by band leader Barney Rapp. Rapp felt that Doris's name, Kappelhoff, was too harsh and awkward and that she should change her name to something more pleasant. The name "Day" was suggested by Rapp from one of the songs in Doris' repertoire, "Day by Day". She didn't like the name at first feeling that it sounded too much like a burlesque performer." - IMDB
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Identifying "Day by Day" as the song Barney Rapp chose as Doris's stage name is a misstatement that's appeared frequently over the years, even by Hotchner in her memoirs. The correct title, as noted in the link Peter provided, is "Day After Day," which Jimmy Stewart sang when he was at Princeton in the glee club in the early 1930s (you can hear it on youtube). "Day by Day" was actually written several years (1945) after Doris began her vocal career. It was a popular recording, thanks to Axel Stordahl, Paul Weston, and lyricist Sammy Cahn, who collaborated to write it.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Oops. I stand corrected. That song was not misidentified in Doris's memoir, but in one of several biographies. Mea culpa.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Thanks for clearing that up, Judy - we always learn a lot from you! 8)

And apologies from me! :mrgreen:
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie »

Day After Day
Edit Report this post Quote
Post by Renie » Mon May 25, 2015 9:45 pm

I've been on a quest to find a recording of some kind of the song Doris' last name, Day, was taken from. I had read that Doris never recorded it which is no doubt true because she sang it so early on in Barney Rapp days I believe. I just wanted to hear what it sounded like. Well, I finally found it tonight on YouTube. Helen Forrest sings it with Artie Shaw's band and you can hear it (hopefully) at www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCVpqI7YEH8

Renie

You might want to give another listen to Day After Day as above.

Renie

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Thanks for this link, Renie. I can just imagine why audiences liked it when the young Doris sang it.