Doris Day Forum Banners 2018

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
jmichael
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2018

Unread post by jmichael »

Musiclover wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 23:04
Well said, Michael. Just shows we shouldn't believe everything we read!

Thanks Judy. This is one area (among others) where Paul Brogan excels. I wish he would pop-in occasionally and share his detailed knowledge about her career. He could tell you exactly how much the production budgets were on all of her films and breakout the gross profits from the theatrical rentals. But the bottom line is: Doris Day's films made money with very few exceptions.

I failed to say how much I love the colorful banner by Puck. Puck, you continue to dazzle us with your talent. Thank you!

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

These are the box office returns for the USA:

The Glass Bottom Boat (1966)
Box Office Gross USA: $9,985,000

Caprice (1967)
Box Office Gross USA: $4,075,000

The Ballad of Josie (1967)
Box Office Gross USA: $1,320,000

Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? (1968)
Box Office Gross USA: $7,988,000

With Six You Get Eggroll (1968)
Box Office Gross USA: $10,095,200

Presumably, they don't include overseas takings? Or DVD sales.
The Ballad of Josie looks like her lowest earner but the others would seem to be in profit?

It occurred to me that her last films didn't have the major male costars of her heyday. I wonder if this was another attempt by Marty so save money?
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

It's interesting to see box-office results for a certain picture, relative to the average gross of all films released in the same year. For instance, the U.S. gross for "Glass Bottom Boat" was nearly 5 times greater than the average in 1966. And even the results for WWYWTLWO were far greater than the average for its release year, which was $2.3 million.

webmaster

Thank you all. Continuing with Doris' final films:

"Dignity, dignity - always dignity." - Gene Kelly, "Singing in the Rain".

The Ballad of Josie (1967) Trivia

"Doris Day wrote in her 1975 autobiography that this was one of the films that she did not want to do, but was forced to do because her husband and manager Martin Melcher had power of attorney, and signed her for it without her knowledge or consent. She called this a "second-rate television western" that required her to get up at 4:30 every morning. However, she did enjoy the camaraderie of the cast members.

The film's theme song was sung by Ron Dante (billed as Ronnie Dante), who became the lead singer of The Archies, conceived by The Archie Show (1968). The group had several Top 40 hits in the late 1960s, including their biggest hit: "Sugar, Sugar".

The sheepherders reference an actual sheep and cattle feud called "The Pleasant Valley War" between the cattle-raising Graham family and the sheep-raising Tewksbury family. The feud lasted for nearly ten years, and was immortalized by Zane Grey in his book, "To The Last Man: A Story of the Pleasant Valley War".

In her autobiography, Doris Day wrote that this movie was one of her least favorite films, also citing Caprice (1967), Do Not Disturb (1965), and Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? (1968), all films, for which her husband and manager, Martin Melcher, signed her, without her consent."
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061380/

"Where's that husband of mine!"

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Maybe it's because my grandfather was a cattle and sheep rancher, but there are elements of this film I like: the sweet relationship between Josie and her son, the pretty period costumes designed by Jean Louis, some really funny scenes, and especially the spunk that Josie shows in what (even now, though vanishing) is mostly a man's world. This is not intended as a knock against Peter Graves; however, I think that, if Marty Melcher, as the movie's executive producer, had agreed with its director to hire John Wayne as Doris's co-star, the picture would've had far more success at the box office.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Musiclover wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 11:23
It's interesting to see box-office results for a certain picture, relative to the average gross of all films released in the same year. For instance, the U.S. gross for "Glass Bottom Boat" was nearly 5 times greater than the average in 1966. And even the results for WWYWTLWO were far greater than the average for its release year, which was $2.3 million.

Judy, I agree. I bet many of Doris’ films finished in the Top Ten films in the year of their release. Bryan, thanks for compiling all of those box-office numbers. Really impressive when you consider her long string of hits over many years.

Michael
Michael H

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I don't like Ballad of Josie- though love Doris in her jeans!

Love the story too that Doris drank real brandy in a scene and really got a little sloshed!

Michael - you are right, Paul Brogan's post in the past have been superb, don't think anyone know more about DD - hope he is well = I keep meaning to check for his book, can anyone remember the title again - I had it written down for ages and have lost it now "is that a ...that I wrote.." does that ring a bell? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Jas, I believe the name of the book by Paul Brogan was called, Was That A Name I Dropped?
I think it is still available on Amazon.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

James,

Paul is doing well. We still correspond from time to time.

Michael
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Michael, as to box-office rankings of Doris's films, I have a list that shows which were in the Top 10 in the U.S. and which were in the Top 5 at the studio that produced them. Twenty-four of her movies were in the latter category, and 5 of those were at #1 ("Tea for Two," "I'll See You in My Dreams," "April in Paris," "Lover, Come Back," and "That Touch of Mink.") Nineteen DD films were in the Top 10 in the U.S., 13 of them in the 1950s and six in the 1960s.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

His upcoming book, at this time, is called "More Than Just Freckles."
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

Doris Day's penultimate film in Holywood, Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? (1968)

Puck's original:

IMDB Trivia

"Doris Day's character in this film, Maggie Garrison, is an actress constantly being typecast as a virginal heroine (the title of her current Broadway show is The Constant Virgin), and was meant to be a parody of Day's own squeaky-clean screen image.

Doris Day wrote in her autobiography that this was one of the films she did not want to do but was forced into it because husband and manager Martin Melcher had power of attorney and signed her up without her knowledge. She called it 'an alleged comedy', of which she didn't remember very much because she was in severe pain, on medication, and spent all of her time off-camera in traction.

Although the New York City blackout occurred two and a half years before this movie was released, it was based on a play that opened in Paris, France, nine years before the blackout.

Morgan Freeman makes an uncredited appearance as a Grand Central Terminal commuter.

There appears to be a rights issue tied up with the issuing of this film. While it was a television staple for many years and was released on videocassette several decades ago, it has not been televised or released in digital format since that time. As of 2018, the film has been out of circulation for nearly 25 years.

Though the film ultimately devolves into a coy sex farce, the 'blackout sequence' charting the infamous 1965 New York City power failure is stupendously executed, encompassing the mass shutdown in nearly every aspect of city life, from the tallest elevators to the deepest subways.

Doris Day wrote that this was one of her least favorite films, also citing The Ballad of Josie (1967), Caprice (1967), and Do Not Disturb (1965) - all films, to which her husband, Martin Melcher, signed her, without her consent."
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063801/

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Bryan for showcasing both The Ballad of Josie, and Where Were You When The Lights Went Out? banners (and thanks to Puck).

It gives everyone a chance to share their observations, memories, and information about these films that are rarely seen.

With the passage of time, we often look at films through a different lens and context.

The major blackout occurred in November of 1965 and impacted most of New York state and a large part of Ontario, Canada. I recall arriving home from school and searching for flashlights. It lasted around ten hours. It was an important story for days.
Johnny

webmaster

Thanks, Johnny. Personally, I don't connect with Doris' final films as much as I do with many of her films up to around Send Me No Flowers. :(

I found this article quite interesting:

The breakdown scene in The Man Who Knew Too Much.

"Doris Day knew which of her movies were good and which stunk (The West Point Story was “a real idiot picture”), just as we do. Watch The Man Who Knew Too Much, especially for the scene in which Jimmy Stewart has to break it to her that their son has been kidnapped. Watch Please Don’t Eat the Daisies, in which she flails with unmistakable joy alongside a tornado of children presumably like the one the actress said she always wanted. Watch It Happened to Jane for her rat-a-tat exchanges with the lovesick Jack Lemmon, but especially for her masterful double take fifty-nine minutes into the movie, when she realizes that he is questioning – that’s right – her virtue. Watch the borderline unwatchable Caprice for Day’s no-nonsense spy shtick and state-of-the-art wardrobe. Watch her, and see how little you see Doris Day." — Nell Beram

Read More: http://brightlightsfilm.com/not-girl-ne ... xmf-0gvzIU

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Very nice banner, is wonderfully made. Thanks Just great!

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

webmaster

Thank you, Ania! :)

"I had no idea when I went to see With Six You Get Eggroll in New York that it would be the last film in which Doris Day would appear... Even Doris Day had no idea that this would be her final film. In real-life, Marty Melcher died, she discovered he had squandered her vast fortune and, without her knowledge, signed Miss Day to star in a television series at CBS. So went her film career."
- Ralph McKnight, The Films of Doris Day

"On Valentine’s Day 1968, before the film was finished, there was a CBS Films ‘Love-In Luncheon’ for Doris Day. it was the last public appearance for Doris and Martin Melcher as a couple. Melcher, suffering from an enlarged heart that he’d refused to have treated because of his Christian Science beliefs, went into hospital on April 13, 1968, and died on April 20 at the age of 52. With Six You Get Eggroll was released in August 1968. it was Doris’ last film.”
– Johnny, The Doris Day Forum

https://www.dorisday.net/with-six-you-get-eggroll

Brian Keith was the son of Robert Keith who played Doris’ father in Young At Heart and also appeared as Barney in Love Me or Leave Me.

"The final scenes of this film feature Doris Day teary-eyed, wearing a housecoat and slippers. When her husband of 17 years Martin Melcher died suddenly just after production was completed, gossip magazines at the time used stills of Day from this movie, looking distraught and out-of-sorts, to accompany their articles about Melcher's death." - IMDB

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

The With Six You Get Eggroll banner really captures a simple, warm, everyday moment that is so relatable for everyone. Doris looks so reflective while looking at Brian Keith's character. The light and bright comedic touch is George Carlin leaning in on the car window.

With Six You Get Eggroll is a sweet memory.

Thank you Bryan.
Johnny

webmaster

Thanks, Johnny, I like the way you are always so positive. For me, the hippy sequence took it into the realm of farce and was somehow at odds with the family drama that was unfolding.

But I really liked Doris looking more natural and you could see her playing roles that could have been above criticism - apart from the glowing kind! :D

PS. I was doing a bit of research about 'Doris and Marty'. What struck me was a comment Doris made (in court, I think) about how she lost all her money. And she said, "My husband trusted Rosenthal and I trusted my husband." It sounded like she didn't blame him and maybe she was right? He couldn't have been the one-dimensional character we think of him as being sometimes, otherwise, she wouldn't have stayed with him until the end.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Another great banner, thanks Bryan❤

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Bryan, I agree about the hippie sequence -- at least the prolonged chase part of it -- and think that this role was a perfect fit for Doris. As far as her comment about Marty Melcher, she has never been inclined (publicly anyway) to badmouth others, which was demonstrated in hundreds of interviews throughout her career. One could probably surmise that, while she still liked many things about him, she was no longer in love with him by about the mid-point of their marriage. I think it's sad (but not unusual) that many people stay together in spite of that circumstance.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I too agree about the hippie sequence. It went on far too long, and was a jarring change from the simple charms of the film. However, DD's last film was sweet, funny at times, and the pairing of Doris with Brian Keith was a good one. Not a bad ending to DD's brilliant career.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Great banner

Thanks Johnny for the book info.

webmaster

Musiclover said; "One could probably surmise that, while she still liked many things about him, she was no longer in love with him by about the mid-point of their marriage.
It seemed to start around the filming of Julie when he was jealous of Louis Jourdan and he and Doris weren't getting on at the time. But later photos show them apparently still very close. Don't you think?

On a lighter note:

Barbara Lampson, Doris' hairdresser on With Six You Get Eggroll, reported that Doris had more hairstyles in this film than in any of her others. It was Doris' Idea for these changes - she also had 37 costume changes in this film. (Can this be true?)

https://www.dorisday.net/with-six-you-get-eggroll/

webmaster

Last look from Puck:

webmaster