Doris Day Forum Banners 2018

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Johnny
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2018

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Bryan and Puck for the bright and cheerful With Six You Get Eggroll banner. It really showcases the sweet and funny spirit of the film.
The chemistry between Doris, Brian Keith and the kids really works. With Six You Get Eggroll also captures the spirit of the late 1960's.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Yes, great banner.

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Thanks, guys, Summer fun :lol:

I like this user review on IMDB:

Doris Day and Clark Gable. Together.

"This sole teaming between jolly blonde Doris Day and charismatic Clark Gable works so well you wish that there had been more opportunities for them to appear on film together. Still, we have to content ourselves with this tale where newspaper hack Gable goes to night class to learn journalism from Day, the daughter of a leading entrepreneur in the field of 'real news'.

About five minutes in you know where this story is leading, but it sure is fun seeing it get there. Of great value in the cast is smarmy Gig Young as the perfect writer and the perfect intellectual (and the perfect foil to get on Gable's nerves). You'll also spot Mamie Van Doren, that low-rent version of Marilyn Monroe, as Gable's showgirl cutie in a few scenes.

'Teacher's Pet' is one of the unsung successes of Doris Day's run of romantic comedies. Go on, treat yourself to an exceptional example of the genre."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052278/?ref_=ttloc_loc_tt
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Great banner- DD in classic Edith Head - the little black [mambo] dress from this film is just simplicity and chic over-drive [for me] - no wonder DD kept it - the start of her ensuring the contracts allowed her to keep these wonderful fashions. Love the hat too. Doris would go ultra chic within a year or so with Pillow Talk.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Very clever banner, Bryan. Love it! Out of all of the hundreds of films Edith Head designed for in her long career, she once said that Doris was the easiest actress she'd ever worked with.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I recall Edith Head said that while she was making The Man Who Knew Too Much costumes for Doris Day she said, trying to make Doris look drab was not an easy job.

Edith Head was also the costume designer for Doris' film Teacher's Pet.

I would describe Doris' personal style as understated elegance. This style seemed to characterize Doris' costumes in her films from 1956.

Great banner!
Johnny

webmaster

Thanks, Jas (I know your real name is James, like my surname, which I always get called as my ''Christian' name when I encounter the medical profession, but I've got used to calling you Jas, as in Jazz! This one is for you as your comments inspired it. Thanks also, Judy, always love to read your comments. And Johnny, who always has something interesting to say.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Bryan for a fascinating Teacher's Pet banner. What a wonderful scene watching Doris Day and Clark Gable dancing together. It amusing to see Doris who is a professional dancer looking down at her feet. I love the black and white banners.

Thanks for the background information on Teacher's Pet.

Jas' description of Doris' dress is classic perfection. Thanks Jas.

I could not think of a another Doris Day film or Clark Gable that would have worked for them to co-star. It may seem like a stretch but I think the 1954 film A Star Is Born may have worked for Doris and Clark. Judy Garland did the role justice but it would have been interesting to see Doris in the role.
Johnny

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

A wonderful banner from a wonderful movie, I absolutely adore!❤️

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

James, quick, get a patent on this brilliant description and start a new clothing line.

"DD in classic Edith Head - the little black [mambo] dress from this film is just simplicity and chic over-drive [for me]"

Cheers,
Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Oh Bryan - you made my "Day" ! In every sense! Wonderful banner. Thank you. 8) 8) 8)

webmaster

A pleasure, Jas! :)

webmaster

Here's another one from Puck. Doris as she looked in "Please Don't Eat the Daisies". One of her best films, I think, and perhaps one we don't talk about enough.

IMDB TRIVIA

"The musical number Kate rehearses for the amateur show, "Anyway The Wind Blows," had been written for the previous year's Doris Day movie, Pillow Talk (1959). The song title was, for a while, even the working title of that film.

Beginning her feature-film career portraying Katharine Hepburn's mother in Little Women (1933), Spring Byington closed her movie years playing Doris Day's mother in this film. She would go on to work in television, most notably as Aunt Daisy Cooper on Laramie (1959).

During an argument with her husband, Kate, played by Doris Day, facetiously claims that she had a "rendezvous with Rock Hudson." Day's previous film had been the very successful Pillow Talk (1959) which starred Hudson as her romantic interest. Day and Hudson would eventually become a famous, on-screen, romantic pairing and would appear in a total of three romantic comedies together.

Charles Herbert, playing one of the children, claimed that Doris Day only spoke three words to him throughout the filming.

After Doris Day and Janis Paige first had worked together in Romance on the High Seas (1948), Miss Paige had triumphed on Broadway as the feisty union official, Babe Williams, in the Tony Award-winning musical of 1954, "The Pajama Game." When Warner Bros., the former home lot of Janis and Doris, recast Babe Williams for the delightful 1957 film version, Babe then turned into - Doris Day!

When the MacKays are in the taxi going to his first play as a critic, they pass the Winter Garden Theatre at 1634 Broadway where the musical "As the Girls Go" is playing. That show ran from November 1948 to July 1949 - meaning the rear-projection film being used in that scene was over ten years old.

Stanley Livingston, cast here as the blond middle son of Doris Day and David Niven, would later play the pivotal role of "Chip," one of Fed McMurray's children, in 380 episodes of the long-running sitcom My Three Sons.

Charles Herbert, who plays the nose-picking oldest son of Doris Day and David Novena in this film, was one of the busiest child actors of the late 50s and early 60s, and had featured roles in such high profile movies as The Five Pennies, The Fly, Houseboat and William Castle's 13 Ghosts.

This was one of several projects in which a character played by Doris Day performs Day's "signature song," the 1956 Oscar winning tune from The Man Who Knew Too Much. Here she sings a verse from "Que Sera Sera" to David Niven in an Italian restaurant. In The Glass Bottom Boat, she sings it to her dad, played by Arthur Godfrey. It would later also serve as the theme music to her CBS sitcom, The Doris Day Show.

This film was a hit at the box office, earning MGM a profit of $1,842,000 ($15.7M in 2018) according to studio records."

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Puck, you did a masterful job on this great photo. Bryan, I agree about PDETD; it's certainly in my Top 10 of DD films. Having previously earned a Writers' Guild of America award and an Oscar nomination for the "Love Me or Leave Me" screenplay, Isobel Lennart was nominated by the WGA for her screenplay of "Daisies." (She later won another WGA best screenplay award for "Funny Girl.")

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Bryan and Puck for your wonderful choice of the Please Don't Eat The Daisies banner. It is amongst the very best of Doris' films. It is a timeless classic.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Beautiful banner from a beautiful film - I think after Teacher's Pet- this is my fav Doris comedic performance, just perfection. Also, the clothes in this film do not get the attention they deserve - just fabulous.

webmaster

Thanks, Judy, Johnny, and Jas. Here's the original:

But I always have to play around with images: :)

webmaster

webmaster

Doris Day and Hobo in Please Don't Eat the Daisies (1960)

IMDB

Hobo Biography
Hobo is an actor, known for Please Don't Eat the Daisies (1960) and Sergeant Preston of the Yukon (1955).

Trivia
Is a dog.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2069250/?ref_=nmbio_bio_nm

Guilty Pleasures: Please Don't Eat the Daisies - BY BILL GIBRON

"Doris Day is an actress of rhythms. She has differing modes of performance operation, and depending on the starring (or occasionally, supporting role) vehicle, she can crank it up or tone it way, way down. She uses her inherent wholesomeness as a shield, a way of hiding her substantial sensuality and beaming inner light. She's often mislabeled as the world's oldest virgin, mainly because her movie roles had her equal, not underneath, the leading men. In many ways, she is the role model for future actresses, trading femininity for friendliness while never losing the intelligence and spark that made her a star. She herself gave up her celebrity at the start of the 1970s, concentrating her efforts instead on charity work—especially animal rights and advocacy. As a result, she remains a part of a certain time, a relic reminding us of a period when paternalism still dictated the way in which married people performed their roles.

So when one thinks about it, Please Don't Eat the Daisies is the perfect Doris Day picture. It's light and airy, like a sitcom made spectacular by the setting and the circumstances (it's no surprise the film—derived from a best-selling book by Jean Kern—eventually became a short-lived TV series). It employs formula elements like uncontrollable bratling children; decrepit, money pit style country homes; and eccentric cab drivers/playwrights who want to derive entertainment out of the most bizarre subject matter (a musical version of The Bible, for one) to pad its pleasantries. It lets Day take the lead, but only in service to her spouse David Niven, and never allows the possible unpleasantness of the real world (adultery, antagonism, sex) to step into the picture. From the beginning, this is a movie about rediscovering your center, about remembering what is important in life. And like all good old-fashioned Hollywood films from the time period, home and hearth are where your true loyalties should lie."

READ MORE:
https://www.popmatters.com/short-cuts-g ... 46835.html

webmaster

This image caught my eye - hope I'm not going too fast, you can always still reply to previous posts.

Here, Doris has turned into a beautiful woman from the loveable pretty tomboy and girl/woman next door. Not every actress managed that. Debbie Reynolds comes to mind, She always seemed to play her younger self, as fun as that was. Except when she did her nightclub act, where it came down to rye humor about Eddie Fisher and (expletive-deleted) Elizabeth Taylor, etc. But you never saw that Debbie in her films, She knew Doris and mentioned her in her autobiography and compared Doris and Marty to her own 'bad choices' in the matronal game. Debbie's second husband, Harry Karl, had $7 million when he married her and not only gambled it all away but hers too. The next one also stole everything he could and left her broke and having to continue working.

But I digress (listening to too many audiobooks). It's impossible to see Calamity Jane in that face above from Pillow Talk. It's a complete transformation. There is a hint of the new Doris in a few scenes near the end of The Tunnel of Love, but not much I can spot in It Happened To Jane. Maybe you can? The interesting thing is the face has character and she's not just 'made up'. She's suddenly a woman - a liberated one - and a force to be reckoned with. Of course, that was her on-screen, acting. We can't say if it was mirrored in her personal life but we all know that when you get to forty-something you're not the same person you were at twenty or thirty-something! And Doris was a fast learner!

What do you think?

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Bryan for your thoughtful observations and insights on Doris' transformation through her films.

From the first moment when we saw Doris in the travel shop in Romance On The High Seas to her maturing role as the mother in a blended family, Doris demonstrated a consistent level of confidence, dignity, and honesty. These inspiring character traits are in full bloom in Pillow Talk.

I love the thoughtful expression on Doris' face in this beautiful banner. Blue is such a great colour on Doris that compliments her eyes. The black hat makes a sophisticated statement.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Beautiful Jan Morrow- and beautiful banner.

Agree Bryan about your observations- from PT -Doris was high chic/fashion - and stayed right on top of the trends pulling it back to more natural [yet still very fashionable] screen wardrobe by the mid 60s.

webmaster

Nice one, Johnny & Jas. 8)

"$Pillow... "Pillow Tall, Grr... "Pillow Talk" - Fun and Fabri... Grr... Pillow Talk" - Fun and Frolicks... Grr..."

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Try as she might, Debbie Reynolds always placed second to Doris Day. She was never the singer or actress Doris was, and while I give her props for her dancing, I don't think she did anything in Singing In The Rain that Doris could have done as well or even better. I am not knocking Debbie when I say these things. I have always liked her and enjoyed her films. She did excellent dramatic work in The Catered Affair, The Rat Race. Divorce, American Style and What's The Matter With Helen? to name a few. Yet she was never Doris' equal in my estimation because you could see the work, the effort behind her performances. Take Goodbye, Charlie for example. Debbie was game but she forced it all the way and her attempts at crude humor and knockabout farce were anything but subtle. I have a similar problem with her portrayal of Molly Brown in the opening scenes when she pushed the rambunctious tomboy persona too far. Doris managed this seamlessly in Calamity Jane, but Debbie didn't possess the nimble sleight of hand that Doris did.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Well said, Michael.