Doris Day Forum Banners 2018

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2018

Unread post by webmaster »

Thank you all! Here are some final pics on Lover Come Back / Doris and Rock:

Credits: Leo Fuchs, Bob Willoughby (photographers) and Dayniac.

Leo Fuchs

Bob Willoughby / Dayniac

Bob Willoughby

Leo Fuchs / Dayniac

Every picture tells a story. :)

Watch online: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ze0yu
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Bryan, as always, a wonderful banner, fantastic photos lovely
I would like to have such a perfect figure as Doris...

Greetins from Poland :D Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you for the fascinating and classic photos of Doris and Rock by Bob Willoughby, and Leo Fuchs. Their chemistry illuminates the photos.

This banner of Doris and Rock radiates a genuine loving friendship. If their situations would have been different for them both, their genuine good natures and kindness may have bloomed into marriage.

Has anyone ever seen a photo of Doris with her husband Marty that compares in affection with the photo of Doris and Rock in the banner?

Thanks again Bryan for a classic banner.
Johnny

webmaster

Thanks, Ania - I think Doris got her figure through cycling? She said she had a big appetite. :)

And thanks, Johnny, your comments made me think that with Rock she had an equal relationship, two big stars joined by mutual admiration and affection and not needing anything material from one another. With Marty it was a completely different story, he depended on Doris for a living.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Great banner of a great team - love the ice blues.

I think Doris' figure was a mixture of , luck, genes and exercise- in that order- she obviously did not have her mother's genes in this regard - she was indeed lucky as she had an amazing appetite - including sweets/ candy - yet the figure was to die for!

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Well said, Bryan.

webmaster

Thanks, Judy. 8)

Time to have another look at Love me or Leave Me - with a vintage poster from the time:

Ruth Etting expressed sadness that "the real highlight of my life", her marriage to Alderman, was omitted from the film. Shortly before her death, Etting said she thought the screen portrayal of her (by Doris Day) was too tough and that Jane Powell would have been a better choice for the lead.

"A fascinating side note to Love Me or Leave Me is Doris Day's marital situation at the time. Married to entrepreneur Marty Melcher, she had a long and ultimately catastrophic marriage. In her autobiography, she cites 'the parallel, in some respects, between Marty [the Gimp] Snyder and Marty Melcher... I hadn't realized at the time how much Ruth Etting and I had in common.' James Cagney said, 'It was as if the picture was a prediction of Doris' own life. Snyder lived vicariously through Etting, as Melcher did through Doris.'"
- From the biography ''Cagney' by John McCabe

webmaster

Part of a section discussing Love Me or Leave Me: ('Jim' refers to 'James' Cagney.)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786705809/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Bryan for this extraordinary vintage Love Me or Leave Me Doris banner.

Doris is characterized in the painting in colours of green and red with golden hair while Cagney's character is in formal black and white. The backdrop of the large shadows behind them creates a film noir quality.
The grip of Marty on Ruth perfectly captures the theme of Love Me or Love Me. (This illustration could also be Martin Melcher and Doris Day).

Thank you for the fascinating information from James Cagney's book. He perfectly described Doris acting and personality as"without guile" and disarmingly honest. I have not read his biography but it is now at the top of my to do list.

Thank you again Bryan for always bringing amazing Doris banners and background information that stimulate interesting discussions.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree Bryan, thanks for the Cagney exert - and for the fabulous wonderful beautiful striking stylised banner.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi all,

Great "Love Me Or Leave Me" banner, love these water paint colours, those photo's with her buddy Rock and the James Cagney part. Thanks all for your contributions!!!

P

webmaster

Yes, thank you all. I've found some more great images from Love Me or Leave Me so this topic could last awhile and I hope you'll all join in. (Michael, Judy, Texas, etc, where are you? :) )

One thing stood out from the book on James Cagney, the sentence:

"Incredibly Doris Day was not nominated."

(For an Oscar.) I wonder if she'd won it if there hadn't been songs and music?

This image is similar to the banner illustration:

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

I'm here, Bryan . . . just dealing with a computer that has a mind of its own lately!

There's so much to say about "Love Me or Leave Me." For starters, I think this is the best performance of Doris's career. She absolutely inhabited her character, and producer Joe Pasternak commented that he was "stunned" that she wasn't nominated for an Oscar. (Not often -- fewer than 30 times, I've read -- have there been Oscar nominations for best performance or supporting performance by an actress in a musical. Compared to others, why performances in that genre have consistently been accorded so little recognition by the Academy is a mystery to me.)

Sorry. Got off the track a bit. Probably I've seen LMOLM more times than I've watched any of DD's other films, and each time I'm impressed all over again by the entire production. Sets, costumes, songs -- they really transport the viewer to that era. I recall an interview with Chilton Price, who wrote both the music and lyrics for "Never Look Back" especially for the film. She highly praised Doris's delivery of the song.

I think I've just talked myself into watching this movie again!

webmaster

Thanks for that, Judy, your comments are spot on and even Doris thinks it was probably her best work. Some of that, no doubt, was due to James Cagney's willingness to share the screen with her in a way that made them both believable.

Odd that she received condemnation from fans for her performance - it shows that fans aren't always right! I would have been tempted to have ignored them but Doris being Doris she decided to respond to each one personally.

I saw it on a big screen in 2000 and I was amazed by the details you could see in full cinemascope. But even at TV size it still has a huge impact. Maybe we could set a date and time to watch it all 'together' in a few weeks time?

I've been getting a bit mesmerized by the image below: :)

Another version:

The original:

webmaster

Am I the only one who likes this image? Surely not. :)

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Hi Bryan,

I mistakenly posted my comments on the banner in the 2018 photo topics.

It is a fantastic banner. Thanks!
Johnny

webmaster

Thanks, Johnny, again! Sometimes it all goes a bit quiet and you wonder if you're just talking to yourself.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi Bryan,

Great film, wished Doris won some prizes there. Thank you for making this place a welcome home to all of us.

P

webmaster

Thanks, Peter, you help a lot yourself! :)

Below the scene where Snyder rapes Etting, which was cut from the film as the studio thought it wouldn't get past the censors.

Doris wrote: “He attacks me savagely; and the way Cagney played it, believe me, it was savage. He slammed me against the wall, ripped off my dress, my beads flying, and after a tempestuous struggle, in which I tried to fight him off with every realistic ounce of strength I had, he threw me on the bed and raped me. It was a scene that took a lot out of me but it was one of the most fully realized physical scenes I have ever played. I don’t look at rushes, so it wasn’t until I saw the movie in its release that I became aware that most of that scene had been cut. I was told that it couldn’t get by ‘the code’. It was my only disappointment in the picture.”

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

An amazing banner from a great movie💕

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo »

"Love Me Or Leave Me" was the film that captured me as a long life Doris Day fan. It was shown as a "sneak preview" to a packed audience. When the credits appeared, there some groans in the audience. I thought perhaps they expected a Warner Brothers type Doris Day musical without much of a storyline. Were they and I surprised at Miss Day's exceptional performance, both in the acting and singing department. Overall the film deserved more Academy Award nominations and actual wins. I observed two scenes that might have caused Miss Day not receiving a best actress nomination. The rape scene that was cut from the film, I believe, was the primary reason for the non nomination. The story changes abruptly when Doris flees from Cagney to the newspaper story headine the two were married. There was a hard to explain audience negative reaction at that moment. MGM's hands were tied, so it was not their fault for deleting the rape scene. The other scene, which should have been reshot, involved that in which Doris confronts Cagney in the lawyer's office and states that the reason she wanted a divorce was because of the abuse and exclaims it was "you, you,.you" before backing to the office desk, jumping backwards,sitting on the desk, before starting to cry into her hands. The audience reaction was not too complimentary to her acting. To this day I remember that scene and omitted rape as the two reasons for Miss Day not receving an Academy Award. As to her singing, that in itself should have earned her the award. Not to many stars who sing in a dramatic role ever earn an Academy Award. Mind you I am talking about stars as Doris who can act and sing. I can only think of one actress in that category who won an award. Just my opinions, and wishing you a Happy Day, Texas Gonzalo

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Texas for your insightful and thoughtful observations on Love Me or Leave Me.

Doris Day's talent in films has been underappreciated and undervalued by the Hollywood establishment all throughout her career.

I do wonder if the general dislike of Doris' husband Martin Melcher influenced a lack of recognition for Doris' work.

Doris preferred baseball games to Hollywood parties that often were political.

Love Me or Leave Me is one of the best musical biographies ever made for the silver screen. It is a lasting tribute to Doris' talent.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Bryan, this Love Me or Leave Me banner is so rich in detail. Cagney watching Doris sing is at the edge of the photo (the outside looking in) and she is surrounded by others makes the photo fascinating. The black and white enhances the vintage look.

Thank you!
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I've often hoped that the "cut" scene Doris talks about [above in her book] could have been found and restored.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Here are my thoughts on the LMOLM discussion.

The banners are all beautiful but I like the water colored drawings best. They are very expressive and capture the rich, dramatic look and feel of the film.

I'm at a loss to explain why Doris was overlooked in the Best Actress category. I'd have easily voted for her over Jennifer Jones impersonating a Eurasian doctor in the overwrought Love Is A Many Splendored Thing. That sort of stunt casting would be unthinkable in today's culture. I haven't seen Eleanor Parker in Interrupted Melody but the other nominated performances were very strong. It's hard to argue with the memorable work of Anna Magnani in The Rose Tatoo, Susan Hayward in I'll Cry Tomorrow or Katharine Hepburn in Summertime. In the case of Jennifer Jones, however, I think the Academy made a mistake and Doris should have been nominated instead.

There's no way for me to decide whether the rape scene would have made a difference in the minds of Academy voters. It might have been so shocking that voters would have tipped their hat to Doris. Historically, actors love to reward against-type casting and seeing their peers excel in roles that went beyond their comfort zones. Obviously, the role of Ruth Etting was considered a major breakthrough for Doris after leaving WB and saying goodbye to the frothy girl next door roles that she was famous for. I don't necessarily agree with what Texas mentioned about reshooting her crying scene in the lawyer's office. Yet I wonder if it was her decision to cover her face when her crying became hysterical. It would be interesting to know if this was in the script or if the director asked her to cover her face. Doris may have naturally done that when the intensity escalated because it's clear that she was emotionally devastated. It could also have been pure instinct on her part to avoid "the ugly cry." Regardless, I consider this a very raw and gut wrenching scene and I think her acting rings true on every level.

Putting the Oscar snub aside, it's comforting to know that the film and lead performances are personal favorites of Martin Scorsese, Woody Allen, Sarah Jessica Parker and other contemporary filmmakers. Also remember that Ava Gardner and George Cukor expressed regret over not doing the film. At one point, Gardner was slated to star and Cukor was going to direct, but it fell through because Gardner did not want to be dubbed as she was in Showboat a few years before. One account said they went to see the film together and Ava leaned over at one point to say "Wow, George, how did we let this one get away from us?' To which Cukor replied, "We wouldn't have been this good."

Another important thing to note is the rousing success of the LMOM soundtrack which remained at the top of the Billboard charts for several weeks and the single hit, I'll Never Stop Loving You, which landed in the Top Twenty. Without Doris in the lead role, I doubt the soundtrack or single would have become major hits.

It all evens out in the long run, don't you think?

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."