Doris Day Forum Banners 2018

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Ania
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2018

Unread post by Ania »

A bit of fun, I made a gif and put together a story like that :D

Story :wink:

As always, the wonderful Bryan banner═───ʚ ❤️ ɞ───═

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I just finished watching I’ll See You In My Dreams.

It was better than I thought it would be. Having the real Grace LeRoy as a consultant gave the film an authenticity that made their unconventional relationship believable. I suspect some of the darker aspects were omitted, but the devoted love that Grace felt for Kahn came through. Her steadfast belief in him was clearly the foundation of their long-lasting marriage and his success. Without her prodding and occasional interference, Kahn would not have become the great lyricist that he was.

Overall, the movie pales in comparison to other show business musical biographies like Love Me Or Leave Me or Walk The Line, but it is entertaining and both Doris and Danny Thomas gave good performances. I especially enjoyed Doris’ charming renditions of the title song and The One I Love (Belongs To Someone Else).

I agree with Johnny’s comment about the unfortunate blackface scene. It was painful to watch especially in light of this week’s Megyn Kelly fiasco.

Bryan, thanks for encouraging us to watch it.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Thank you, Ania, for that lovely Doris tribute - and for your continued devotion to her. I'm sure she's proud to have fans from all over the world and especially such a loyal one like you from Poland.

And thank you also, Michael, for changing your mind and watching the film. I read a comment recently which said that people who were able to change their mind showed that they've got a mind - and that's certainly true of you! And, like Ania and many people here, you've been a loyal and long-time supporter of Doris, who certainly deserves our continued admiration.

Looking forward to watching:

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Brian, thanks for highlighting this film. I have just enjoyed reading everyone's comments about it after being out of town for over a week. Berry Gordy, the founder of Motown Records, is a DD fan. Of her performance in ISYIMD, he said, "When a singer can make you cry, you know she's got the goods." I agree with him; no matter how many times I've seen this movie, I can't get through the last scene with dry eyes. I think this film accurately portrays the period and characters. The performances by Doris and her colleagues are really top notch -- and of course I love the music, too.

It's impossible to overestimate the contribution Gus Kahn made to American music history. He averaged over 6 hit songs annually over a 20-year period, which was really a tremendous accomplishment. Although it wasn't included in this movie, one of his that Doris later recorded is "You Stepped Out of a Dream." Kahn's son, Donald, gave an interview to National Association of Music Merchants some years ago, during which he mentioned that 2 of his father's very favorite songs were "It Had to Be You" and "Love Me or Leave Me."

Grace Kahn was a guest on Doris's radio program either during or after the filming, and in her memoir Doris mentioned that she and Danny Thomas became offscreen friends after working together. Beginning in the late 1950s, one thing they had in common was being fans of Dodgers baseball.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Danny Thomas was once quoted as saying that he would stay late at the studio just to hear Doris sing.
Like Irene Dunne done.

jmichael
Honorary Member

I'm grateful for the additional information Judy provided about Gus Kahn, It seems he was the invisible man behind many wonderful standards from the Great American Songbook. I wonder why his profile isn't at the same level as other famous lyricists like Johnny Mercer, Yip Harburg, Dorothy Fields or Cole Porter. Certainly, Kahn and Walter Donaldson composed some of the greatest songs written in the twentieth century.

It was fascinating to watch Patrice Wymore sing Love Me Or Leave Me to Doris over the phone. Pretty ironic considering that Doris would make it one of her signature tunes a few years later. I've always preferred the slower version of that song. The bouncier tempo has never appealed to me.

Another thing that stood out was how the Great Depression forced Kahn into writing parodies of his greatest songs. I didn't realize the genesis of that until I saw this film. I became aware of the alternate lyrics to "It Had To Be You" when Harry Nilsson recorded it for "A Little Touch Of Schmilsson In The Night" in the seventies (a great album), but I had no idea the words were born out of financial necessity. By the way, I have it on good authority that Nilsson's album was a personal favorite of Doris'. She was particularly fond of the lush orchestrations and vocal arrangements by the great Gordon Jenkins.

Howard, that's a great story about Danny Thomas. Thanks for that.

Michael
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Michael, I agree about the tempo of "Love Me or Leave Me"; the torchy lyric fits far better with a slow tempo. Walter Donaldson occasionally wrote lyrics in addition to music, including for 3 songs ("At Sundown," "Sam, the Old Accordian Man" and "You're Driving Me Crazy") Doris later recorded. Kahn's collaboration with Donaldson produced probably his biggest hits, but he was also very successful as a lyricist when collaborating with other composers, including Richard Whiting, Harry Warren, George Gershwin, Vincent Youmans, and Jerome Kern.

webmaster

I really enjoyed I'll See You in My Dreams, it seemed to stir up a few emotions - Doris looking so fresh and young and at the beginning of her career, her talent shining through so clearly. Danny Thomas was also excellent and they had a great rapport, I thought.

I loved the scene where she sang The One I Love Belongs To Somebody Else at the theatre and put Jim Bacus (Mr. Magoo) in his place - and when Gus sang It Had To Be You to her at the hospital after their daughter was born.

There were some 'that's supposed to be Grace Kahn, not Doris Day' moments' - why did Gus not show any interest in her for the first four years they were working together and call her Miss Kahn? Hard to believe with Doris playing the part. The underlying conflict between them about 'who was wearing the trousers' was evident throughout, obviously, Grace was. It occurred to me that it wouldn't have been seen as a problem if Gus was the control freak and it was more do with a woman being in control.

I can see why it was a big hit in 1951 and further established Doris' reputation as a great singer and actress. Thanks for suggesting it, Judy, I'm really glad I watched it.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Bryan for another beautiful I'll See You In My Dreams banner.

This scene where Gus smells Grace's hair is sweet and funny. It is clear early on that they are both interested in each other. Gus is socially awkward and lacking confidence while Grace is bound by social conventions of the time. It is ironic that Gus as a songwriter could not say the words I love you to Grace until years later. They made a charming couple.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Great banner.

Ania- fabulous gif.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Ania, thank you for your wonderful and creative GIF. Doris looks beautiful!
Johnny

webmaster

Thanks, Johnny, some good observations there.

Coming to the end of I'll See You in My Dreams now. I'll take a break for a few other images and start Tea for Two at the weekend.

Some final images:

Is this from I'll See You in My Dreams? Don't remember it but may have missed it.

Gus Kahn's son Donald recalls the moment he first realized he wanted to follow in his father’s footsteps and become a songwriter. It was as a five-year-old child playing under his father’s piano as he composed.
https://www.namm.org/library/oral-history/donald-kahn

webmaster

Hope you're all having a Doris Day! 8)

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Amazing banner, do love it very much.

jmichael
Honorary Member

I love the new carefree banner from Pillow Talk. Very upbeat and colorful.

Previously, I failed to mention how much I love Ania's GIF from the Golden Globes. So well done!

Michael
Michael H

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Love this joyous banner. A feel good banner if there ever was one!
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

Thanks all. That's strange, my avatar has changed to the current banner image without me doing anything!

Michael mentioned Harry Nilsson's A Little Touch Of Schmilsson In The Night. Out of curiosity, I found it on YouTube:

Harry Nilsson in Concert - A Little Touch Of Schmilsson In The Night

If you just want to listen to the album go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JguI1QRAYAg

Did you know you can download YouTube videos and music for free with 4K Download?

https://www.4kdownload.com/

Just copy the link and select video or mp3 depending on which format you want. It's fast, no adds, I find it really useful. It also works on Dailymotion, Vimto, etc.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Wow, thanks for the YT video. I will watch it over the weekend.

I recall loving the album back in the seventies and I have an even greater appreciation for it now because Doris liked it so much.

Michael
Michael H

jmichael
Honorary Member

I thoroughly enjoyed the Harry Nilsson concert performance.

A few random thoughts:

The orchestrations are simply gorgeous. Lush, exrtravagant and brimming with the kind of romantic sesnsibilty that made these love songs unforgettable. I believe Gordon Jenkins wrote the arrangements and his artistry here is amazing.

Nilsson didn’t really look or sound like a traditional balladeer but he fit the genre beautifully. I love how casual and relaxed he is, dragging on a cigarette in between takes and coming in early on another take. This struck me as the height of professional nonchalance and it was utterly charming.

His voice lacks the masculine swagger of Sinatra but his tenor range and heartfelt delivery were touching and disarmingly persuasive. I love how effortlessly he can glide into falsetto voice.

I’m told that Doris’ favorite cuts from this album are Lullaby In Ragtime and This Is All I Ask.

Bryan, thank you for sharing this gem with us.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Pleasure, Michael. I thought it was rather sweet myself. :)

A new film that was chosen by Johnny, Tea For Two. with a banner from Puck.

Tea For Two (1950)
"Wealthy, stagestruck Nan Carter (Doris Day) strikes a bet that she can say "no" to everything for 48 hours. If she wins, she gets the $25,000 to back a Broadway musical vehicle for herself. She's determined, even if it means saying "no" when the fella she loves pops the question. Nan doesn't know it yet, but her fortune has been wiped out in the Crash of '29.

Doris Day is a sunny sensation in this flapper-era musical romp, with costars Gordon MacRae and Gene Nelson on hand to help provide songs, dance, and romance. Skilled farceurs Eve Arden, Billy De Wolfe, and S.Z "Cuddles" Sakall deliver lots of laughs. And the Gershwins, Vincent Youmans, Harry Warren, and other Tin Pan Alley greats supply wonderful melodies, including the title tune, "Do, Do, Do," "I Only Have Eyes for You," "I Want to Be Happy" and lots more." (Warners)

Doris and Gene Nelson hoofing in up in I Know That You Know

Another great image from Puck from around the same time:

Your thoughts and feelings about Tea For Two, please.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Bryan for featuring the delightful and joyous Doris film Tea For Two. Also thanks for posting the clip with Gordon MacRae and Doris and Gene Nelson dancing so skillfully to I Know That You Know.

Tea For Two has an outstanding and enjoyable supporting cast which includes the lovable and very funny S.Z. Sakall, the witty and bright Eve Arden, the hilarious Billy DeWolfe and was directed competently by David Butler.

I have always thought that Gene Nelson was underappreciated as a leading man. Gordon MacRae has a magnificent singing voice and dark good looks but Gene seemed to have more charisma and a stronger personality. He was a dazzling dancer and looked great paired with Doris.

MGM produced so many high end musicals such as Meet Me In St. Louis, Babes on Broadway, For Me And My Gal, the brilliant Wizard of Oz, Cabin In The Sky, Singin' In The Rain, An American In Paris, Gigi, and of course the great Love Me or Leave Me. I wonder what MGM would have done with Doris Day musicals.

The classic standard songs, especially Here In My Arms sung by Doris and Oh Me! Oh My! sung by Doris Day and Gene Nelson are particularly pleasing. I Only Have Eyes For You sung by Gordon MacRae is beautiful.

Tea For Two is a happy experience and an entertaining film. Doris shines in the film.

The dancing in the film is often forgotten but it should have a better appreciation.

Thanks again Bryan for this Tea For Two tribute. Usually when Doris Day films are mentioned, it is Pillow Talk, Love Me or Leave Me or The Man Who Knew Too Much are mentioned first. Tea For Two deserves to be in the spotlight more often.
Johnny

webmaster

Thanks, Johnny, that's a good point you make at the end of your post.

But it's Doris and Gene Nelson dancing together - that's probably what you meant as you mention him later.

Here he is dancing UP the stairs in Tea For Two!

Director David Butler (seated) with Doris Day and Gene Nelson, on the set of Tea for Two.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Bryan! I definitely meant Gene Nelson not Gene Kelly. I think when people talk about dancers named Gene, Kelly comes to mind first.
I think Gene Nelson is a brilliant dancer and like Doris, deserved more recognition and appreciation for his outstanding talent.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

I agree about Gene Nelson, Johnny. He was very underrated as a dancer. To me, both his work and Astaire's was graceful and they made it seem effortless. I especially love the opening dance routine Nelson and Doris did in "Tea for Two." This is a fun film to watch (even curmudgeonly movie critic Bosley Crowther liked it).

An earlier remake of the play "No, No, Nanette" was made into a movie about a decade previous to "Tea for Two." Interestingly, Eve Arden was part of that cast -- but in a different role.

Although it's credited on imdb.com as one of the songs in the film, "Here in My Arms" is an unfortunate omission from my copy of the movie and so I'm not sure whether it ever made the final cut. Ray Heindorf did the orchestrations for the movie's songs, but Axel Stordahl did them for the record album from the film, which does include that song. It's a fine rendition.

webmaster

Always impressed by your musical knowledge, Judy! Does it come from personal experience, i.e. interest, or did you work in the industry? Either way, it's a great skill.