Doris Day Forum Banners 2018

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
jmichael
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2018

Unread post by jmichael »

Duet showcased Doris' gift for intimacy in song. She is singing to or about one person in these love songs. Although I love her big band sound, the stripped down acoustics along with Previn's exquisite piano playing and the subtle bass and drum accompaniment make this one of her very best recordings. Aspiring cabaret performers would be wise to pay close attention to this album.

Judy, what an interesting tidbit about Previn working on Young At Heart. Amazing!

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Intimacy is the quality in Doris' voice that captures my heart and soul. When Doris sings, there is a connection that feels like a sensitive and comforting embrace.

I really appreciate your comments Michael that Duet album showcased the intimacy in Doris' voice with Previn's arrangements. It is a subject that can be discussed at length. There are not many singers, female or male that compare with Doris' ability to connect.

Two other albums, I Have Dreamed and You'll Never Walk Alone Doris' vocal intimacy is a hallmark on the albums.

When I listen to Doris sing How Insensitive and Summer Has Gone from Latin For Loves, the intimacy is so powerful, it leaves a haunting feeling that stays.

Thanks again Michael for your insightful comments.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

So true - her gift for connecting with a lyric and finding the essence of truth behind the words without doing too much or calling attention to what she can do are rare qualities. Simplicity can be perceived as a limitation but to me it is the core of what makes her singing so captivating. Doris was there to serve the music and the listener. Her ego never got in the way. No showboating or floating notes just because she could. I think she understood that when the material is good, less is more. Less allows the listener to feel something that over singing and unnecessary embellishment negate.

Great comments Johnny. I love hearing what other fans take from her music and the songs they love most.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Thanks for that interesting discussion.

Doris Day: Lady in Red

Original:

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi Bryan,

Thank you for sharing one of the great photo's from 1956 by Peter Basch, found around 30 now through the years online, posted most of them here on your amazing site. They are probably all taken at the same day at Doris' house. Doris looks very relaxed in these pictures. And it's a thrill to watch them all. If you google Peter Basch Doris Day, you'll find some of them too.

P

webmaster

Thanks, Peter, I usually like to credit the photographer but I forgot where I found this particular shot so I appreciate the info.

I did a search for Peter Basch Doris Day and saw many that you've posted already - thanks again! :)

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Bryan for this fascinating and distinctive Doris banner. It prompted me to think of Doris as a redhead. I never imagined her as anything but as a beautiful blond.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

What a nice banner! Doris as a redhead might not be too improbable, Johnny. The few photos I've seen of her as a teenager show that her hair was much darker than blond. In her memoirs, she describes her father as having auburn hair. Maybe she inherited that color from him; the combination of auburn hair and freckles is not uncommon.

jmichael
Honorary Member

An interesting banner with the red filter. Not my favorite hairstyle for Doris but it proves that she could get away with just about anything and still look great.

Thanks Bryan.

Michael
Michael H

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I like the banner very much.

webmaster

Thanks all. Lover Come Back: your opinion?

"The funniest picture of the year. If you thought Pillow Talk was a sleeper when it popped up in 1959 as a comedy hit uniting Rock Hudson and Doris Day, wait until you see their latest, Lover Come Back.
Mr. Hudson and Miss Day are delicious, he in his big, sprawling way and she in her wide-eyed, pert, pugnacious and eventually melting vein. Altogether, the picture is one you had better not miss.” – New York Times

Rock Hudson, Doris Day, Lover Come Back.

Rock Hudson said: “Two people have to truly like each other, as Doris and I did, for that to shine through – the sparkle, the twinkle in the eye as they look at one other. And they both have to be strong personalities – that’s very important for comedy. And God knows that Doris is a strong personality!”

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Another fine banner, from a very funny movie. Thanks, Bryan.

jmichael
Honorary Member

I love this closeup from LCB too. I can’t think of another film in which Doris wore such an array of hats.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

This Doris Lover Come Back banner evokes such happy and sweet memories. Doris and Rock radiate extraordinary charming chemistry that made audiences fall in love with them.

Thank you Bryan!
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Oh my...I LOVE that LCB banner- and that outfit in particular - the opening one - is one of Doris' most fabulous [in my opinion]. Knowing what Doris stated re- her TV Show- [that Connie Edney would bring her an array of outfits the week before, for the next weeks show, and they'd put together with boots, hats, belts etc, then Doris would say "oh i love this dress, but let''s try it back to front" -Connie would flip - but it would work] - so I wonder if the white bolero jacket was meant to open from the front and Doris said "lets do it the other way" - whatever, it is a beautiful stylish outfit in a beautiful stylish film.

webmaster

Thanks all! I have a few more- we haven't talked about this film for a long time.

Another hat image coming for Jas and Michael next:

Would people be interested in having a monthly Doris Day film that we could all watch together online and comment during the film? I was thinking we could do it on a Sunday - afternoon in the USA, evening in Europe.

This is the software (free) we could use: https://www.watch2gether.com/

The first one could be Lover Come Back.

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo »

What a great idea on the monthly get together watching the same film at the same time world wide. A YES vote for me. Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

jmichael
Honorary Member

Sure, I'm up for that if we can work through the time differences and everyone's busy schedules.

The colors in this banner really pop. I love how saturated they are next to the darker skin tones you've added. This could be the poster child for what star power used to mean.

I love this smart, funny film. Doris, Rock and Tony were at the top of their game and the script is razor sharp in its depiction of the ruthless world of advertising. Delbert Mann's pacing is superb and the dialog crackles with one clever barb after another. Doris excelled as the sophisticated yet earnest account executive who maintained her dignity in a cutthroat business full of Don Draper types and gullible clients. Could anyone have predicted her playing a part like this when they first saw her in films like On Moonlight Bay or Starlift?

Pillow Talk will always have an edge with me because it was my first Doris Day film, but LCB was a worthy follow-up. You simply can't manufacture or buy the kind of chemistry that Doris, Rock and Tony had.

Michael
Michael H

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi all,

Great banner, great duo and great film. Always a joy to watch. From the start of the titel credits till the mariage scene at the end a big ball of fun. Think the most "hattie" film in Doris career too… Some very weird ones, but she could carry them all. Love Tony Randell by the way too, but miss his interactions with Doris here. There's only phone contact between them as I recall. But very, very funny.

P

webmaster

Thanks, Peter, I agree with your comments.

Will say a bit more about film show when I get back - on the east coast this weekend. :)

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Love the vibrant blues and lilacs in this Doris and Rock banner.

What is interesting in this banner is the thoughtfulness and reflection in Doris and Rock's eyes. The skills of actors become evident in the silences between the dialogue. Both Rock and Doris are brilliant in these moments in Lover Come Back.

Thanks Bryan for another great banner.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Amazing and stunning banner - also, agree with Michael's comments re LCB and PT.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Wonderful banner Bryan

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

webmaster

Thanks all - sorry, have had a very busy week but here's another scene from Lover Come Back:

I just realised I put the wrong title on the image!!!! :oops:

webmaster