Doris Day Forum Banners 2018

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2018

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi webmaster,

Thanks for another great banner, I love the Bob Willoughby photo's, and the one of Doris in Midnight Lace are amazing. I also love the colours and film. The clothes Irene designed for Doris are some of the best she ever used on film. A few of the outfits still work today, 58 years later.

And thanks all for your backside information. It's always a pleasure to read something new here.

P

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I love the theme music for "Midnight Lace." It's a haunting melody and really sets the tone of the film.
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

From IMDB:

"In her autobiography, Doris Day wrote that to prepare herself for one of the terror scenes, she recalled a time when her first husband, trombonist Al Jorden, dragged her out of bed when she was ill and pregnant and hurled her against a wall. Day related that in the scene she wasn't acting hysterical, she WAS hysterical, and at the end of the take she collapsed in a real faint. She was carried to her dressing room, and producer Ross Hunter shut down production for a few days while she recovered."

"Doris Day vowed to never make another thriller after 'Midnight Lace', claiming it emotionally drained her. She stayed true to her word; until her retirement eight years later, the only movies she made were comedies."

"Dictating his memoirs near the end of his life, Rex Harrison barely mentioned 'Midnight Lace', except to say that he wasn't fond of the script. He also reported that Doris Day was under so much pressure to make the picture work that she collapsed. Day was indeed under strain, though it was due to her personal form of method acting that caused her breakdown, not from the script or the production."

Thanks, Peter! And Howard,
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Another nice banner, Bryan. I think we'd better raise your pay!!

So many aspects of this film, such as those Michael noted, are underrated. One of them is Frank Skinner's orchestration which, as Johnny mentioned, adds a great deal. (Skinner earned 5 Oscar nominations, 4 of them in consecutive years in the 1940s, but never won the statuette.) There is one melody in this movie that he didn't write, however, and that is the music for "What Does a Woman Do?", which Doris recorded in late 1959. Credit for that song goes to Allie Wrubel and multi-talented lyricist Maxwell Anderson.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Another amazing banner is simply delightful! 💛💛💛

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

This is a really interesting Midnight Lace banner with a film-noir look. The light in the doorway and on Doris' face is contrasted with the graduated darkness on Rex Harrison's face that leads to pitch black on the remainder of the banner.

It is interesting the bright white phone is a source of terror for Doris' character but serves as her salvation.

Thank you Bryan for all the creative Doris banners that inspire thoughtful discussions.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Stunning banner. Very dramatic with the light coming from the open doorway in the background, the bright spotlight on her face, and the black encasing both of them. There’s a feeling of danger and suspense in the visual presentation. Love the font choice too. Well done, Mr. James!!!

I wanted to expand a bit on what Judy shared about Frank Skinner and his musical talents. Someone else who deserves mention is Joseph Gershenson, who began his show-business career in 1920 as a conductor of orchestras in movie theaters. He was hired by Universal Pictures for its music department and was made the department head in 1940. Gershenson's name appeared on virtually every Universal film made as “music supervisor” from 1949 until his retirement in 1969. My understanding is that he contributed a lot to Skinner’s orchestrations and conducted some of the recording sessions for the soundtracks. I’m not positive but I suspect he never got the full credit he deserved.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Hi Bryan,

What an amazing banner. WoW!!!

P

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Love the banner, Bryan, and also the Movie “Midnight Lace” finally I can watch the forum again, been in hospital for a couple of days, after I did make a nasty fall at home, did loss of feeling in my leg, because of hernia, now I have a a crack in the pelvis point, and it will take time to heal, but glad I’m home again, no revalidatie center, home is so much better, but can’t walk without support, hope I can be able to walk upstairs soon, it just takes time.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Hi Puck,

Hope your getting better soon. Nothing more important in live than someone's health. Glad to see you back!

P

webmaster

Really sorry to hear that, Puck. Please take it easy and get better soon. Bryan x

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Hi Puck,

Wishing you a speedy recovery filled with many sweet Doris moments. Take good care.

I watched Midnight Lace on TCM yesterday afternoon and was struck by the scene where Rex Harrison reveals himself as the villain when he takes the phone from Doris and says the police are not coming.

The camera spotlights Doris' disbelieving face as she says to Rex Harrison, "Why?". He simply says, "The money". Red Harrison is photographed in the shadows.

I wonder what Doris' real- life husband Marty Melcher was thinking as he watched this scene. He was mismanaging her millions of hard -earned money during this period. Who would have thought that in eight years Doris would find herself broke after Marty's death?
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Dear Puck,

I hope you feel better soon. Always enjoy your art work and hope to see more of it in the future.

Johnny, interesting observation about the Rex Harrison / Marty Melcher parallel. I suspect Marty was either in denial about Rosenthal or he believed he was making them a fortune at that time. It appeared that Melcher enjoyed power and that Doris was his meal ticket. As long as she was on top, making big money, and he got a producer credit on her films, he was happy. I don't think he comprehended just how bad things were until a few years before he died.

The acting in that scene was quite effective. Rex was evil to the core, and Doris was properly bewildered and dismayed. While the mystery wasn't all that difficult to figure out, the acting in ML was topnotch and the supporting cast was stellar.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Michael!

Do you think Marty would have stayed with Doris if her work had not been so successful?
Johnny

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Just curious....Any Doris sighting in Carmel yet? Know this is the weekend people are gathering in Carmel and anxious to hear any news. Happy and Healthy Birthday dear Doris....enjoy your new year.
God bless and keep you.
Much love,
Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

jmichael
Honorary Member

Johnny wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 11:21
Thanks Michael!

Do you think Marty would have stayed with Doris if her work had not been so successful?
Hard to say. I believe Marty was always looking for the next big ticket to ride. When he left Patti Andrews for Doris, I feel sure he was smitten with Doris, but he also knew she was going to be a huge star and that he could help her get there. He strikes me as someone who wasn't smart or talented, just shrewd enough to spot a good thing when he saw it. Had Doris' career stalled or taken a permanent downward spiral, he might have been tempted to leave, but where would he have gone? At that point, why would an upcoming actress bet on Melcher to make her a superstar? I think most people in the industry pegged him as someone who road Doris' coattails and who was rather shifty. He did stay with Doris when a couple of her films bombed (Tunnel Of Love and That Jane From Maine), but those were temporary setbacks and he probably deserves some credit for advising Doris to do Pillow Talk. However, I think the true hero there was Ross Hunter who was brilliant about casting thirty-something actresses in lead roles that brought out their best qualities.

Doris and Marty announced their separation at some point during the early 1960s. That story ran in all of the Hollywood trades. It turned out to be temporary because Rosenthal told Melcher they would be financially ruined, if they divorced. I've always wondered why that wasn't enough for Doris to take the hint and get out. She must have realized that her fortune was at risk with that kind of dire forecast. Why didn't she leave then and cut her losses?

We'll never know, will we?

Michael
Michael H

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Take it easy, Puck ... and feel better pronto!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Bryan- great banner.

Puck- get well soon.

Ania- love your avatar.

webmaster

Thanks, all.

A few more from Bob Willoughby:

webmaster

Rotten Tomatoes Audience Reviews

"Like The Man Who Knew Too Much, I love this movie for reasons I don't really understand - probably nostalgia."

"Doris as scream queen! Ultra luxurious equally overwrought melodrama with Doris in one high fashion outfit after another being terrorized by phone. Barely believable but highly entertaining film has good co-stars in Rex Harrison and Myrna Loy, who while for the most part is also dressed very well, is forced to wear one of the ugliest hats every seen in film! It looks like an upside down flower basket was dumped on her head. Otherwise the settings are incredibly plush and poor Doris, who has rarely looked better onscreen, spends the entire movie in a state of just below the surface hysteria. Silly but a whole lot of fun."

"Changing pace at the height of her popularity, Doris Day made this smash hit suspenseful thriller about a woman who gets threatening phone calls from a mysterious stranger."

"Implausible but somewhat satisfying Hitchcock-like thriller."

"Around the time that the world discovered Alfred Hitchcock, Hollywood was a buzz with suspense thrillers in the same vein. Some were rather original, others could be seen as straight out-and-out copycats. I'd like to think that Midnight Lace falls somewhere in between. Released the same year as Hitchcock's original Psycho, this intriguing mystery thriller explored some of Hitchcock's past themes and plot-devices, making comparisons very strongly to Rear Window and Vertigo.

Although it does seem a lot like a copycat, it makes little difference because this film stands very much on its own feet. Doris Day stars, surprisingly, as the troubled lead who is just on the edge of a nervous breakdown due to all of the threats being made by an unseen antagonist. Rex Harrison and Myrna Loy make up part of the supporting cast and give the lead the strength that she needs. Although at times she can be accused of over-acting in this film, I thought her performance was quite strong and overlooked..."

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/midnight_lace/

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Bryan for the beautiful Midnight Lace photos. They look even more compelling in black and white.

Thank you also for the Rotton Tomatoes reviews. It has a 76% audience rating. I found it interesting that the film has an R rating. I wonder if was a 1960's rating system.

I saw Midnight Lace last Saturday on TCM. It has such a great tension -filled opening scene with Doris running in fear through the London fog. It takes the audience on an engaging, mysterious ride. Doris carries the film with genuine, ever -growing, consuming fear. Midnight Lace parallels Wait Until Dark as it's blind heroine Audrey Hepburn struggles with ongoing fear and numerous villains. The films rely on the vulnerability and likability of the main character.
Both Doris Day and Audrey Hepburn are two of the best loved actresses in Hollywood history.

It is always a pleasure to read fresh perspective on Doris Day films we love.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

ML is what I call a movie / movie.

It's entertaining, escapist fare with a starry cast of excellent actors. Doris gave it her all. I know some feel she overacted, but I don't agree. Her character was justifiably terrified. I think Doris was brave to go as far as she diid in her emotional breakdown on the staircase. What makes her performance seem over the top is the weak script. She gave more than the script deserves. Compare that scene with her breakdown in TMWKTM. That was a much better script and the situation felt real. Her hysteria as the mother of a kidnapped child was something every parent could relate to. Not so much with the glam, make believe world that Kit Preston inhabited.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Thanks, Johnny and Michael - both of you are right on the button as always.

Midnight Lace was made almost 60 years ago (released in 1960 but obviously made before then). it had the Hollywood touch - filmed in the studio and not in London - but probably scary at the time. Rotten Tomatoes readers seemed to still find it entertaining despite its age and I think it has that element of old Hollywood glamour mixed with suspense. And Doris was the main attraction. She carried the picture, everyone else were essentially guest stars - so maybe Rex Harrison had a point?

webmaster

Easter and Dodo's birthday coming up. :)

webmaster

Trying to move to a new page here...... :lol: