Questions For Forum Members on Doris Day

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Johnny
Honorary Member

Questions For Forum Members on Doris Day

Unread post by Johnny » 24 Apr 2018, 09:42

Do any forum members know if any educational institution has awarded Doris Day an honorary university degree for her work in music, film and television?

Doris may not care about awards but her extraordinary work in music deserves to be studied as a master class. An award would introduce Doris to a new, younger generation of talent.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Questions For Forum Members on Doris Day

Unread post by Musiclover » 24 Apr 2018, 11:29

Johnny, I'm not aware that any honorary degrees have been bestowed on Doris, but to do so sounds like a really great idea. Since he's such a fan of hers, maybe Prof. Drew Casper at USC could help to make that happen. If you feel so inclined, you could e-mail him at [email protected].

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 24 Apr 2018, 11:56

Thanks so much Music lover!

I will wait until I have more information. Doris Day really deserves to be recognized by educational institutions for her brilliant work in music and film. She is in a class by herself as is Ella Fitzgerald.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 09 Jun 2018, 07:56

Does anyone know if Doris Day performed in any Canadian cities? I don't recall reading anything about this?
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Musiclover » 09 Jun 2018, 11:18

Johnny, I believe it was in Doris's second stint with Les Brown's band -- sometime between spring 1944 and fall 1946 -- that their tours included dates in Toronto. In her memoir she remarked that the band had to travel to Canada in the winter because whoever handled their bookings didn't care how cold it would be.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 09 Jun 2018, 11:50

Thanks so much Musiclover. I am going to research more to see what the main entertainment centers were in Toronto in the 1940's.

An historic place is Massey Hall which opened in Toronto in 1894. It has recently been renovated. It has magnificent acoustics. I saw Joni Mitchell, k.d. lang and many others there over the years.

I will research Massy Hall history to see if Doris performed there. It would be perfection to have heard her sing there.

Thank you again.
Johnny