Top 5 Favourite Doris Day Film Directors

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Johnny
Honorary Member

Top 5 Favourite Doris Day Film Directors

Unread post by Johnny » 13 Oct 2018, 15:18

Looking at the film directors who have worked with Doris Day and their influence on the films whether they are comedies, musicals or dramas, each one has made a major contribution to her film legacy.

These are my five favourite directors of Doris Day films.

1. Michael Curtiz directed Doris Day in her first film Romance On The High Seas. Curtiz recognized Doris as a gifted talent and most importantly recommended Doris not take acting lessons so her authenticity would shine.

2. Alfred Hitchcock directed Doris in The Man Who Knew Too Much and brought out a stunning performance by her in a riveting film.

3. Charles Vidor directed Doris in Love Me or Leave Me and helped bring out a outstanding dramatic performance that gave credibility to Doris as a serious dramatic actress. Love Me or Leave Me is a major milestone film in Doris' career.

4. Charles Walters directed Doris in two of her best films, Please Don't Eat The Daisies and Billy Rose's Jumbo. Doris shone in both these films.

5. Michael Gordon directed Doris Day and Rock Hudson in Pillow Talk which made Doris and Rock an iconic romantic comedy team. This film also made Doris a fashion icon. Michael Gordon also directed Doris and James Garner in the very successful romantic comedy, Move Over Darling.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Re: Top 5 Favourite Doris Day Film Directors

Unread post by jmichael » 14 Oct 2018, 10:27

Definitely agree with four of Johnny's picks: Alfred Hitchcock, Charles Vidor, Michael Curtiz and Charile Walters.

However, I place Delbert Mann (Lover Come Back and That Touch Of Mink) and Norman Jewison (The Thrill Of It All and Send Me No Flowers) ahead of Michael Gordon (Pillow Talk and Move Over, Darling). They are all talented but I think Mann and Jewison are better directors based on their entire resumes: Mann's Separate Tables and Marty and Jewison's Moonstruck and In The Heat Of The Night, for example. Gordon did a great job on Pillow Talk but I attribute that film's success more to Doris, Rock, Thelma and Tony, the clever script, and Ross Hunter's oversight as the producer.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Re: Top 5 Favourite Doris Day Film Directors

Unread post by Jas1 » 22 Oct 2018, 05:21

Agree Michael.