Forum Banners 2019-2020

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Johnny
Honorary Member

Re: Forum Banners 2019

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you so much Michael for sharing this beautiful and heartfelt Doris Day birthday tribute to all her movie kids.

I am deeply moved seeing Doris' in a mother role to these kids, especially in the movie Please Don't Eat The Daisies. Growing up as the youngest with all brothers made it easy to identify with the boys.

I am struck by the genuine rapport between Doris and the kids. It is a testament to all their natural talents. They were perfectly cast.

Twinkle Twinkle Lullaby is a warm and beautiful welcome in the opening scene.

Doris singing I'll See You In My Dreams moved me to tears.

It is an extraordinary work.
Johnny

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Glad you're all enjoying Michael's video. Just a reminder that Doris would have been 98 years young today!

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Do enjoy Micheal’s tribune very much, sweet memories of one of the best actress singer ever, she will always be in our hearts, she was a wonderful, amazing lady. Seeing the video puts me in tears, do miss her so much.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

And thank you Bryan for that amazing banner, sorry that I been not so often on the forum, because of family and computer problems. I just want to say to you all, keep safe and stay safe, and stay home.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Happy heavenly first birthday to our darling DD.

Thank you Puck and Bryan for the beautiful banner.

Michael - your tribute is just wonderful and very touching.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Happy Birthday dear Doris. Love the banner Puck & Bryan. Just wanted to share this article which just came out today about my sentimental journey with Doris...enjoy!

https://manchesterinklink.com/the-days- ... l-journey/

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you to Bryan and Puck for the classic and beautiful Doris Day birthday banner. One of my favourite Doris looks is from Please Don't Eat The Daisies.

The elegant red and blue font on a simple and classic white background keeps the focus on Doris.
Johnny

webmaster

Thank you all and I hope you've all had a Happy Doris Day Birthday! It would have been better if she was still here - but she is in, our hearts. 3 April is kind of fixed in my mind, as I'm sure it is in yours.

I had this message from a friend at lunchtime, "I took a look at Twitter just now and it's a sea of Doris - and I think that is down to you. How are you coping this week?"

Actually, it was a sea of Doris, so I retweeted many of the outpourings of love to her on my Twitter timeline. Have a look, what do you think?

https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Bryan, Did you see the beautiful birthday Doris Day Retrospective posted by the Doris Day Animal Foundation?

I tried to upload it to the forum but was unsuccessful.
Johnny

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Do love your twitter line Bryan, love the tribune you create on our Doris, thank you.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Bryan, that's just great re Twitter.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Johnny wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 17:23
Bryan, Did you see the beautiful birthday Doris Day Retrospective posted by the Doris Day Animal Foundation?

I tried to upload it to the forum but was unsuccessful.
https://www.dorisday.com/multimedia/vid ... is-tribute

You can access the DDAF video by clicking on the link above. Lots of outtakes from The Doris Day Show and Rose Marie's daughter, Noopy, provided a lot of the onset footage. Jim Pierson did a great job on this video. So much laughter on that set. You can really feel the mutual adoration between Doris and Rose Marie. They were a terrific comedy team.

Johnny, thank you for your warm comments about the Doris Day "kids" video. I really appreciate it.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Michael for posting Doris Day Animal Foundation birthday celebration video. I hope it will bring much joy to everyone who watches it. I loved all the outakes on the Doris Day Show. They really show how much everyone themselves making the series.

There are many interesting moments. When watching the opening header scenes of the third season where Doris is getting off the streetcar, the shots of office buildings, Doris running holding on to her hat in the wind; these events look similar to the opening header scenes of the Mary Tyler Moore Show in starting 1970.

The closing scene of Doris standing under a spotlight, wearing white, singing Sentimental Journey made me well up with tears and happiness. We need this happiness in our world now more than ever.

Be well everyone. 🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼
The DDAF did a brilliant job producing this tribute.
Johnny

webmaster

Here you go:

Isn't that a fantastic photo? 8)

jmichael
Honorary Member

It’s an amazing shot but I’m not positive it was taken in Spain. Some think the backdrop is Lake Tahoe.

Michael
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

I'm pretty sure it was not taken in Spain. That outcropping on the left looks quite a bit like Morro Rock, which is about 100 miles south of Monterey. Morro Bay is about 20 miles north of Pismo Beach. There are photos of the Melchers in Monterey in the early 1950s, and they also went to Pismo Beach a number of times in the 1950s . . . so my bet for the locale would be Morro Bay.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Musiclover wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 00:18
I'm pretty sure it was not taken in Spain. That outcropping on the left looks quite a bit like Morro Rock, which is about 100 miles south of Monterey. Morro Bay is about 20 miles north of Pismo Beach. There are photos of the Melchers in Monterey in the early 1950s, and they also went to Pismo Beach a number of times in the 1950s . . . so my bet for the locale would be Morro Bay.
Judy,

Great detective work. Sounds likely to me.

The Lake Tahoe opinion came from a fan who is from there but it was an educated guess. I was thinking it might be Lake Arrowhead but I can't find anything to back that up. To my knowledge, Doris never visited Spain when she was in Europe filming TMWKTM and her hair was shorter then too.

Michael
Michael H

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi all,

I think you are right. The first trip to Europe was in 1956 when Doris was working on The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Still a great photo.

Peter

jmichael
Honorary Member

Below is the second video that we created for the fan event last week. It is a tribute to The Doris Day Show, its star (naturally) and the talented supporting cast. This video wouldn't have happened without the wonderful Scott Dreier who guided me through it.

Michael

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you so much Michael for posting the Doris Day Show Tribute. What a delight! It sparkles from beginning to end.

The Doris/ Billy De Wolfe scene where he complains, “Mr. Foley in 308 just put on The Doris Day Show, can’t stand that woman, sarcastically saying Que Sera Sera” made me laugh out loud.

Doris singing Make Someone Happy touches me deeply and certainly characterized how I am feeling after watching this artful tribute. My sincere appreciation goes to Scott Drier as well.

I watched theDoris Day/ Vicki Lawrence interview as well. It is another treasure. They are so many wonderful moments to savour.

In this interview Doris responded to Vicki’s question,”How do you stay so positive”. Doris said, “You are what you think”. It is an excellent, insightful interview.

Thank you again Michael for your outstanding work. It is filled with love and caring which will make many people very happy.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Dear Johnny,

Thank you for your comments. I'm so glad you liked the video. Doris makes it so easy. Her radiance and warmth inspire me and I was thrilled to honor her this way.

Stay safe and healthy. We need your positivity on this forum now more than ever.

Michael
Michael H

RobertOClare

Unread post by RobertOClare »

Hi Michael,

I've been saving your second tribute to Doris until I had time to relax and sit down to watch it. That I have just done (twice actually) and I have to agree with Johnny - it is indeed a delight. The loving way she talks to the children is so genuine, you could really believe they were her own and not just playing a part.

'Make Someone Happy' is an inspired choice and adds an extra depth to the final section. The last photo of Doris in blue (my favourite colour) is really breathtaking and I love the way you have the picture disappear precisely in time with the last note of the song. Congratulations to you and Scott on another stunning tribute to Doris.

Johnny said he watched the Doris Day/Vicki Lawrence interview afterwards. I don't know if it's already on the Forum, but one of my favourite interviews is one that David Hartman did in 1983. There is a part where Doris and Rock are sitting together on a sofa, and their body language speaks volumes. They are so relaxed and the conversation is so open. It leaves me in no doubt of the feelings that existed between them. David asks an unusually deep question for this type of interview - "What is a friend?" Rock jumps in with an answer which must rate as one of the best definitions ever. I am lucky to have a friend like that, so I could immediately relate to it.

If you've got time on your hands it's worth checking it out, especially watch for Doris' expressions. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIm5MpQQBm8

Stay safe,

Robert
"If you haven't fallen in love with Doris Day, there's something wrong with your heart"

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you so much Robert for posting the Doris Day\David Hartman interview Part 3 featuring Doris and Rock Hudson.

As you pointed out Robert, the genuine friendship and emotional connection between them is really clear in how they exchange looks, the warmth in their voices, the closeness in sitting together on the sofa, and in how they complete each other sentences. I loved Rock's quiet, warm thoughtful manner.

After Rock said Doris is so good at everything, David commented to Doris "You know how good you are." Doris repeated the statement and said, " "No I don't have that feeling about myself".

I loved David Hartman'' s closing comment in thanking Doris and Rock for, " Letting us share what you share".

I went on to watch the other three parts of David Hartman'' s thoughtful interview with Doris. In part 4, Doris talks about her love for animals. She described them as "pure, loving, joyful, loyal, honest, and everything I hope to be".

I think forum members would agree the loving adjectives she uses in describing animals are the very ones that could describe Doris.

I really enjoyed the depth of David Hartman's interview and Doris' openess. Watching these interviews with Doris really brightened my day.

Robert, the Doris Day/Vicki Lawrence interview is on You Tube. I would have posted it but I am technically challenged. Thank you again Robert.

Be well everyone.
Johnny

RobertOClare

Unread post by RobertOClare »

Hi Johnny,

I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed the David Hartman interviews and share my thoughts about the emotional connection between Doris and Rock.

I have seen the Vicki Lawrence interview in the past, and I'm sure it will already be somewhere on the Forum. However, I'll post the link here to save others from searching for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiFM1zlqrUQ

Enjoy and stay safe.

Robert
"If you haven't fallen in love with Doris Day, there's something wrong with your heart"

sihmonSELV

Unread post by sihmonSELV »

Hi Robert,

Thanks for pointing out the David Hartman interview! I hadn't seen it before, but now I've watched all four parts. Very fascinating to hear their conversation, and I think Mr. Hartman asks questions, the answers of which are very interesting to hear, but not everyone would be comfortable asking them. Fortunately, Doris seems perfectly happy answering them, and so we get a bit of insight into her thinking. I also appreciated Terry's comments, while not lengthy. It just goes to show that human relationships frequently are rather complicated.

While reading a little about Mr. Hartman himself, I learned that he made his own film début with Doris herself, in "The Ballad of Josie", playing Sheriff Fonse Pruitt. I wouldn't have known, but this means that he and Doris knew each other at least 16 years at the time of the interview, which may explain the openness between them.

However, I can't get over the fact that the parts available on YouTube seems incomplete. Does anyone know of how the parts were originally presented? It looks like they were parts of some other program.

Simon