Forum Banners 2019

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Forum Banners 2019

Unread post by webmaster » 26 Mar 2019, 14:20

Thanks, Mary Anne - sorry I got all of that wrong - at least the photo came from you! It looks like the kind of photo anyone could take and yet she still manages to look like a star!

The attachment is clearly visible so no need to worry! Thanks.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 26 Mar 2019, 17:06

Thank you doris-day-fan for this extraordinary photo of Doris.

Doris has such a serene and graceful expression on her face. The daisy cake is beautiful.
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 27 Mar 2019, 13:44

From Puck:

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 27 Mar 2019, 14:30

Thank you so much to Bryan and Puck for this radiant Doris Day birthday banner. It really captures Doris' joyful spirit.

I hope this one is up for a while.
Johnny

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck » 27 Mar 2019, 17:31

Thank you Bryan, you made my day, love all the banners, especially the last one, thank you for putting it as banner. I wish I could create something special for her birthday, but no time... but I know you will create somethiing amazing, as always, you are the best.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 28 Mar 2019, 11:14

Lovely banner. Thank you, Puck and Bryan.

Only a day away from the official start of the 97th birthday celebration!

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan » 29 Mar 2019, 15:13

Thank you Puck and Bryan for another WONDERFUL banner...here is one from the birthday parties we had for Doris....waiting for DORIS DAY DAY!!!!! We had the cake made with eleven petals on the daisy and each one had the name of one of Doris's babies...We really surprised her and had a fabulous time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The BEST is yet to come."

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 29 Mar 2019, 17:38

Thank you all - and especially to Puck for creating such a beautiful image of Doris - and to Mary Anne for sharing those precious photos.

Here's another birthday tribute with lots of photos and film trailers on Fox News.

Doris is planning a quiet birthday at home with a few close friends

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/d ... ls-in-need

And

Doris gets candid on her friendship with Rock Hudson

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/d ... -interview

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 30 Mar 2019, 02:56

I was one of the ushers at tonight’s DDAF event held at the high school’s theatre in Carmel. The theatre’s capacity is 350, and only about a dozen seats were empty.

The program began with a short biographical film, including birthday greetings from director Norman Jewison and Nancy Sinatra, followed by a recorded thank-you from Doris to DDAF’s supporters. Dr. Bob Bashara was there and he, too, thanked donors, sponsors, and volunteers before introducing Peter Marshall – whose 93rd birthday is tomorrow and whose daughter’s little dog kept coming onstage every once in awhile. Very cute.

Ben Mankowitz asked each of the celebrity panel how they met Doris for the first time. Marshall told that he first met Doris in the late 1940s after she had left Les Brown’s band and was in the process of divorcing. Marshall’s mother and Doris’s mom both belonged to an organization called Motion Picture Mothers, and his mother suggested that he ask Doris for a date. He declined, saying that he didn’t want to go out with a band singer. He mentioned that Brown’s new lead vocalist, Lucy Ann Polk, was the sister of his best friend.

Jackie Joseph told about having acting lessons in junior high. She said that her mother couldn’t afford the lessons, but that she (her mother) worked in a liquor store and that every week she’d bring a pint of spirits home for Jackie to give to her acting coach!

Rich Little did short impersonations of Cagney and Jack Benny, and longer ones of Bogart, Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Stewart that were very funny. He said that he had not met Doris before working on one of her TV specials, and that she was “very warm and so nice to everyone.”

Scott Dreier, with help from Jackie Joseph, introduced 2 small dogs who were available for adoption. One was blind, and he was adopted by a young woman visiting from Texas. The other wasn’t adopted, but several people in the audience were taking photos of her to post on Facebook and so maybe she will find a home that way.

Dreier and Jackie Joseph also auctioned several items related to Pillow Talk. One was an autographed CD of the songs Doris sang in the film. Another was a reproduction of the script, including its front page autographed by Doris, Hudson, Randall, and Hayden Rorke – which also had an original of Doris’s autograph, signed a few years ago. I think the script brought close to $1,000. There was also a Doris Day-Rock Hudson collectible doll set, for which the winning bid was over $1,000. (She signed it with her initials, as she’s been having carpal tunnel syndrome and signing her entire name is difficult). The item that brought the highest bid was the movie’s poster, framed and bearing Doris’s full signature. Someone opened the bidding with $2,000 (!) and I think it went for $2400. Other items were being sold in the lobby at intermission, and so the evening’s fund-raising seemed to be successful.

Following intermission, Pillow Talk was shown. I didn’t stay to see it, but the audience had such a good time up to then that I’m sure the enthusiasm and enjoyment continued.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 30 Mar 2019, 06:44

Hi Judy,

Thank you so much for sharing your story about your visit. There's a small part of the DDAL dog part on facebook with Jackie and Scott.
https://www.facebook.com/scott.dreier.7 ... 452664237/

I enjoyed your story,

P

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 30 Mar 2019, 13:12

Thank you so much Musiclover for your detailed account of Doris' birthday celebration on Friday night. I know it must have been a great success. Doris must be very happy to know so many animals will be helped by the fundraising.

I would have loved to have been there to hear from Doris' friends and participate in the auction.

I am sure all Doris Day Forum members really appreciate your enjoyable description of the evening.

How fortunate you are to be there.

Thank you!
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 30 Mar 2019, 14:22

Great summary, Judy. Thank you.

Here's a photo that Ben Mankiewicz took from the wings of the stage.

Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 30 Mar 2019, 16:20

I wonder what the dog was thinking as it surveyed the audience.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 30 Mar 2019, 16:38

I hope they show the photos of the two dogs that were up for adoption.

I am so pleased to know the dog who could not see was adopted by that wonderful person from Texas. I hope the second dog finds a good home.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 31 Mar 2019, 06:47

A shot from last night with Jackie Joseph, headliner Michael Feinstein, comedian Rich Little, singer Karen Oberlin and Peter Marshall.

Michael

Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 31 Mar 2019, 12:28

Nice photo, Michael. I didn't attend last night's event, but hope somebody who did will share a summary of it that can be posted on the Forum.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 31 Mar 2019, 13:45

I haven't heard anything about last night or Michael Feinstein's concert either.

Michael
Michael H

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 31 Mar 2019, 15:38

I love this photo of Doris, a wonderful banner!

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 31 Mar 2019, 16:27

Thanks, Ania. :)

More news:

Celebrities, fans, help celebrate Doris Day’s birthday
By CARLY MAYBERRY | [email protected] | Monterey Herald | March 30 2019 at 12:21 pm

CARMEL — The pilgrimage that devoted Doris Day fans make to Carmel every spring in celebration of the beloved actress/singer’s birthday hasn’t waned since it began many years ago.

On Thursday, the Doris Day Animal Foundation kicked off the weekend of events leading up to Day’s birthday with a VIP reception at the Cypress Inn. Present was TV host and personality Peter Marshall (perhaps best known as the original host of The Hollywood Squares) along with impressionist Rich Little and Jackie Joseph, Day’s co-star in the 1960s-70s television show “The Doris Day Show.” Jazz vocalist Karen Oberlin performed for those in attendance, many of whom traveled from across the globe to honor the beloved actress/singer.

The celebration honoring Day’s birthday has grown over the years but really became a celebration for her fans and locals in 2014.

Day, who lives at Quail Ranch and rarely attends the events, (the last time she made an appearance was in 2014 for her 92nd birthday) turns 97 on Wednesday.

Singer/entertainer Scott Dreier, right, who has performed a Doris Day tribute show, chats with Laurie Marshall. (Carly Mayberry – Monterey Herald)

“Her movies have lasted the test of time,” said Lea Price, director of communications for the Doris Day Animal Foundation. “She exudes that positive energy that everybody loves to be associated with.”

Day has been a Carmel resident for over 40 years and is widely credited with making the town more dog-friendly and setting the same trend for other towns.

Price said this year’s three-day event was the biggest yet in terms of the number of entertainers who have come out to celebrate Day and support the Doris Day Animal Foundation.

On Friday, Turner Classic Movies primetime host Ben Mankiewicz introduced the 60th anniversary screening of one of Day’s most popular films “Pillow Talk” followed by a Q&A, which featured Day’s co-stars throughout the years including Jackie Joseph, Marshall, Little and Oberlin. A live auction followed. Saturday evening featured performances by Little and Ambassador of the American Songbook Michael Feinstein.

Marshall’s history with Day goes back as far as the early ‘40s when Day performed with band leader Les Brown. Marshall appeared in the 1951 film “Starlift” that starred Day.

While he and his wife have been coming to Carmel for years for the event and to visit relatives, he noted the sadness the two felt while strolling Carmel Beach this time around without their dog Teddy Bear who had passed away since their last visit.

Singer/entertainer Scott Dreier, who has performed at Day’s past birthday bashes and whose entire show “Doris and Me” pays tribute to the actress/singer’s career, was also perusing the packed crowd Thursday inside the Cypress Inn. He said that what makes Day so special is the quality of accessibility she always portrayed in her roles.

“Whether it was dancing with Gene Nelson, comedy with Rock Hudson or doing serious scenes with Jimmy Stewart, everything she did was so real,” said Dreier. “She always lets you in.”

Dreier grew up in an extremely conservative home where television viewing was restricted only to the weekend afternoon feature “The Family Film Festival” with Tom Hatten. The show often featured Day.

Comedian Rich Little, center, and former Celebrity Squares host Peter Marshall, right, chat during a reception at the Cypress Inn. (Carly Mayberry – Herald Correspondent)

But as in years past it was the lesser-known Doris Day fans who made up the events’ biggest presence. Thursday’s reception had 150 attendees while Friday’s screening and Q&A was sold out with 350 and Saturday with 300.

“I’ve loved Doris Day all my life,” said Heidi Addison, through her thick Scottish brogue, reminiscing how she and her sister would imitate Day’s singing when they played with Barbies as a little girls. Addison’s wife Jeanie Scott had given her the trip from Scotland to Carmel as a Christmas present.

“I’ve seen ‘Calamity Jane’ about a million times. Nobody has a bad thing to say about her. She’s just like an angel,” added Addison.

Jay Lewis had also bought his wife Karen the trip to the three-day event/fundraiser as a Christmas present. In his mind, the only person who could match Day’s love of animals was his “horse whisperer” wife.

Artist/journalist/producer Danny Proctor traveled all the way from Nashville for the festivities.

“I’ve always wanted to meet her,” said Proctor, who enjoyed chatting with Joseph about her time in show business and close relationship with Day.

Joseph, now in her 80s, comes to the event as often as she’s able.

“Time is going by – I’m 85 and Doris is in her 90s so it’s important to see her,” said Joseph.

For his part, Little recalled working with Day some 40 years back and said he hadn’t seen her since, noting his sadness about that and hopes he eventually would.

Still, Price said Day appreciates and cherishes every single fan and expression of appreciation.

“She reads every letter and every card, even if she can’t answer them all,” said Price. “The outpouring of love she receives from around the world is truly amazing.”

Said Joseph, “The local people should know they have gold dust living in the hills.”

“There is no one like Doris Day,” added Dreier. “She is more than you’d expect her to be and she brought animals to Carmel and made them fashionable.”

https://www.montereyherald.com/2019/03/ ... -birthday/

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 31 Mar 2019, 23:20

Thanks for posting this piece, Bryan. So many 4-leggers will be beneficiaries of the weekend's events!

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan » 31 Mar 2019, 23:47

Just saw this photo of Doris from her balcony. They said she was not feeling well and did not talk... God bless her. 💖♥️💖
"The BEST is yet to come."

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 01 Apr 2019, 05:29

Here's another photo from yesterday. My understanding is she did not feel well enough to speak but she waved to everyone. I think she looks amazing. Nothing can dim the spark that only Doris Mary Ann Kappelhoff radiates.

Feedback I'm getting is that Michael Feinstein put on a fantastic show. He is in awe of Doris and apparently he met with her at some point over the weekend. Special kudos to Scottie for hosting all those FB live interviews. They generated quite bit of cash for the DDAF.

Bravo to one and all!

Michael

Michael H

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 01 Apr 2019, 10:16

Hi all,

Thank you for these lovely photo's of our Doris, 97 what an amazing long time on this planet. Hope she will be well soon and has a happy time.

P

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 01 Apr 2019, 11:21

I would love to know the songs Feinstein sang during his concert.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 01 Apr 2019, 14:26

doris-day-fan wrote:
31 Mar 2019, 23:47
Just saw this photo of Doris from her balcony. They said she was not feeling well and did not talk... God bless her. 💖♥️💖
I saw on Facebook these pictures Doris. 💕 Still the same wonderful smile.💕

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube