Forum Banners 2019

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Forum Banners 2019

Unread post by webmaster » 25 Apr 2019, 14:09

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 25 Apr 2019, 15:28

Thanks Bryan for these feel- good Calamity Jane posters. Doris radiates confidence and joy. In the second poster, Doris is in complete command of her male audience. The expressions on their faces are really interesting.
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 25 Apr 2019, 16:29

Thanks, Johnny. It's getting lonely on the bridge, :( thanks for your feedback.

Did you see the post with a new pic of Doris from the recording sessions?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4928&start=250#p66146

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 27 Apr 2019, 08:01

Doris Day & Allyn McLerie, A Woman's Touch, "Calamity Jane".

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 27 Apr 2019, 16:27

Great banner, simply fantastic! 💗

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 28 Apr 2019, 16:19

Great banner.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 28 Apr 2019, 16:59

Thanks Bryan for another wonderful Calamity Jane banner. I really like that Doris was able to work in a film with a female co-star in a significant role. They had great chemistry. It gave Calamity Jane, "A Woman's Touch".
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 30 Apr 2019, 03:14

Thanks all. :) New Film of the Month:

IMDB: THE PAJAMA GAME (1957)

"The original Broadway production of "The Pajama Game" opened at the St. James Theater in New York on May 13, 1954, ran for 1,063 performances and won the 1955 Tony Award for the Best Musical. Shirley MacLaine was in the ensemble and was an understudy to Carol Haney. Miss MacLaine did go on for Miss Haney at least once during the Broadway run, which led to a movie contract and Hollywood stardom. John Raitt, Carol Haney, Eddie Foy Jr., Reta Shaw, Thelma Pelish, Ralph Dunn, Ralph W. Chambers, Mary Stanton and Buzz Miller were in the original cast and recreated their roles in the movie version."

"Jack Warner optioned the film rights to both The Pajama Game (1957) and Damn Yankees (1958) with the idea of teaming stage director George Abbott and film director Stanley Donen to ensure both a faithful transfer and a cinematic rendition of the original shows. In each case, Warner was willing to import the entire original cast for the film version as long as one of the leading roles was played by a bankable movie star. For The Pajama Game (1957), the initial plan was to cast Frank Sinatra as Sid, pairing him with Janis Paige, who played Babe on Broadway. When Sinatra turned down the role, Warners decided to retain John Raitt from the stage version, playing opposite the studio's resident nightingale, Doris Day. This move cost Paige the movie, but she bounced back quickly, securing a showy role in MGM's film version of Silk Stockings (1957), which she effectively stole out from under Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse."

"In her autobiography, Doris Day recounted how, as one of only four cast members who hadn't appeared in the Broadway production, it was challenging to fall into the groove of a company that had been playing the show for more than one thousand performances together. She described the experience as trying to find her place in a well-oiled machine."

"Patti Page was considered for the lead role played by Doris Day.
George Abbott wanted Marlon Brando to star in the John Raitt role."

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 30 Apr 2019, 03:33

Hi Bryan,

WOW amazing banner, very enjoyable film. Babe Williams is the best!!!
Thank you for creating and uploading this piece of art!
P

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 30 Apr 2019, 08:37

Thank you Bryan for selecting The Pajama Game for the new film of the month.

It is a superior classic musical film that is rarely seen on television. The Pajama Game is underappreciated and truly deserves to be put in the spotlight. It will generate interesting DD Forum discussions. Doris excels in her role as Babe Williams.

The new banner is terrific. The photo is new to me and brings to mind the brilliant and upbeat song Hernando's Hideaway.

The background information on The Pajama Game is fascinating. Frank Sinatra being considered as the lead is new to me. I am happy that the John Raitt was cast. John had great chemistry with Doris and his voice worked perfectly with Doris'.
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 30 Apr 2019, 14:28

Thanks, Peter & Johnny!

No, I hadn't seen that image before either, this is the original, which you can see is an LP or something.

Yes, I'm glad John Raitt got the part rather than Frank Sinatra. There was a very unfair comment about Raitt on IMDB, which said: "John Raitt's only leading film role. While he cut an undeniably dashing and muscular figure on-screen and possessed a high baritone unlike any other, Raitt's wooden acting and utter lack of screen presence dashed any hopes of further movie roles." I don't agree with that at all. He and Doris had great chemistry, didn't they?

The Pajama Game is one of my favourite musicals, full of great songs, such as "Small Talk":

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 30 Apr 2019, 15:42

Bryan,

I like how you spruced up that old album cover and made it sparkle. Well done.

This is a wonderful musical that holds up well and it’s one of Doris’ most winning performances. Her Babe Williams is earthy, sexy and nobody’s fool. I love how vital she is. Her radiance bursts off the screen. PG should have garnered more Oscar love too with Doris nabbing a Best Actress nomination. Raitt was perfectly cast and not at all wooden in my opinion. I’ve always taken pleasure in knowing that Doris and Janis Paige remained friends after Doris got this role and Georgia Garrett in ROTHS. Speaks volumes about both ladies.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 30 Apr 2019, 16:44

I love The Pajama Game - it's one of DD's best performances, as well as one of her best films. Pity it isn't shown on television - it would and should get more love if more people had a chance to see this fabulous recreation of a Broadway musical.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 01 May 2019, 01:52

Great banner- love PG too. 8)

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 02 May 2019, 16:53

Thanks, guys, glad we're all signed up to how great The Pajama Game is! :) I've been doing some research into it, including into the original Broadway show and have found some great pics - but more of that later.

Meanwhile, this post focuses on one of the great numbers from the film, Once A Year Day, which always gives me a lift! (We have the rest of the month to cover some of the other great songs!)

(This is our) Once a Year Day!

And a few scenes from the film:

Who's that joyous woman and that good-looking man? :D

Gladys steals the show.

While the show goes on,

Finishing with you-know-who. :)

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 02 May 2019, 18:42

I wonder if people understand the caliber of talent on this film. Stage director George Abbott was a celebrated writer / director of several Broadway critical and box office hits; his co-director, noted film director Stanley Donen directed several classic film musicals, comedies and dramas including Funny Face, Singing In The Rain and Charade; associate producer Harold Prince who became a major force on Broadway nabbing twenty Tony awards over the years; legendary choreographer Bob Fosse, who went on to become a top film director; and one of Hollywood’s most gifted cinematographers Harry Stradling, who would become Streisand’s favorite cameraman on films like Funny Girl and Hello Dolly.

This was one of those rare occasions when Doris was surrounded by the best in business and, as we all know, she absolutely soared in the lead female role.

Michael
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 02 May 2019, 22:08

Well said, Michael. I think Ray Heindorf (musical director) was very talented, too -- 18 Oscar nominations in 26 years. Have often wondered why Warner Bros. didn't give him greater acknowledgement in its film credits.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 03 May 2019, 06:59

Musiclover wrote:
02 May 2019, 22:08
Well said, Michael. I think Ray Heindorf (musical director) was very talented, too -- 18 Oscar nominations in 26 years. Have often wondered why Warner Bros. didn't give him greater acknowledgement in its film credits.
Thank you, Judy. I should have mentioned Heindorf because he was a major force in her recordings at WB. He was someone who never achieved much in the way of name recognition, but he was tremendously talented. It's a mystery why didn't WB put more of the spotlight on him. I've noticed that many of the big studio films gave the film's composer major credit, but the music director's name often appear further down the list of credits. According to IMDB, Heindorf didn't receive a screen credit on this film.

I should have also included choreographer and stage director Jerome Robbins who won five Tony awards. He co-directed West Side Story with Robert Wise and shared a Best Director Oscar win with him. Robbins was known to be an absolute terror to work with. He hired and fired dancers without blinking an eye and he was very demanding. At one point in his career, he was Co-Ballet Master at the New York City Ballet.

PG had an amazing artistic pedigree.

Michael
Michael H

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 05 May 2019, 13:58

Agree Michael re- the talent in PG -a wonderful film and a great banner.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 09 May 2019, 04:42

Hello, honey, I'm home! Did you miss me? :)

I've been down to the coast for the past week - great to get out of London, pollution seems to be getting worse, it's so crowded.

Anyway, more from The Pajama Game - Doris and John Raitt sing 'There Once Was A Man'.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 09 May 2019, 10:34

My favorite number!
Like Irene Dunne done.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 10 May 2019, 07:44

According to the Tab Hunter Confidential documentary, co-director George Abbott was very unhappy that Jack Warner cast Hunter as the lead in Damn Yankees. Warner acquired film rights to adapt Pajama Game and Damn Yankees and he insisted that one of the two leads be a major movie star. So Hunter got the lead in Damn Yankees, much to the chagrin of Abbott who had no respect for him. Hunter said he felt Abbott's hostility from the very first read through when Abbott gave him line readings. As with Pajama Game, most of the cast came from the original Broadway show and Hunter was up against similar odds that Doris faced when she got the female lead in PG. But Doris was an accomplished musical comedy star, whereas Hunter (a marginal singer at best) had only one pop hit (*"Young Love") under his belt. I give Hunter a lot of credit for standing up to Abbott and not letting him get the upper hand. According to one member of the cast, co-director Stanley Donen did not like Gwen Verdon and called her "ugly" in front of the entire cast.

These stories underscore how much of a challenge PG was for Doris. Abbott was an accomplished Broadway producer / director with high expectations (and perhaps some New York stage snobbery) and Donen was a demanding film director who didn't mince words.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 10 May 2019, 17:15

That's really interesting, Michael. Perhaps he was homophobic? I remember reading Debbie Reynolds biography in which she said that Tab wanted to date her but she knew he was gay instinctively and said no, (Debbie knew her way around Hollywood, even though Doris said she didn't know Rock was gay, although it was an open secret in Tinsel Land, so I'm not sure I believe her! :lol: )

Did you know that George Abbott had a long romance with actress Maureen Stapleton from 1968 to 1978. She was 43 and he was 81 when they began their affair, then ten years later Abbott left her for a younger woman!

And: "Abbott was a vigorous man who remained active past his 100th birthday by golfing and dancing. He died of a stroke on January 31, 1995, in Miami Beach, Florida, at age 107. The New York Times obituary read, "Mrs. Abbott said that a week and a half before his death he was dictating revisions to the second act of Pajama Game with a revival in mind, in addition to working on a revival of Damn Yankees. At the age of 106, he walked down the aisle on the opening night of the Damn Yankees revival and received a standing ovation. He was heard saying to his companion, 'There must be somebody important here.'"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Abbott

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 11 May 2019, 07:58

Bryan, thanks for the interesting biographical info on Abbott. I did not know any of that.

Jack Warner may not have had the best taste in movies or any deep artistic sensibility, but his decision to buy two of the hottest properties from the Broadway stage and hire two co-directors, one to retain the brilliance of what made them successful on stage and the other to insure the adaptations were cinematic, was sheer brilliance. The fact that it actually worked is even more astounding. Not every seasoned stage director could partner with a top tier film director and conjure magic the way Abbott and Donen did.

Tab Hunter says Warner bought Damn Yankees specifically for him and there was no deal without Hunter in the lead role. So Abbott had to take it or leave it. Hunter may not have been the most talented actor in Hollywood or the best singer, but he was a hard worker with a humble attitude who tried his very best. After watching the documentary, I was very impressed with him as a person and performer.

Michael
Michael H

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 12 May 2019, 11:35

Wonderful banner Bryan, a great movie! I absolutely love it!

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube