Forum Banners 2019

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Re: Forum Banners 2019

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 12 Jul 2019, 15:50

Hi Johnny,

Found it on EBAY, but only did see it in black. And in the t-shirt there's no reference to Doris or the Animal league. But it's a nice tent...

P

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 13 Jul 2019, 10:03

webmaster wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 18:44
I guess this image is back to basics, Calamity Jane. as you all know. I'm still in the same mood as I was when I said I was unsure about continuing the forum - a bit stronger than that, but you know what I mean. For me, it's different that Doris is no longer here but if you can all keep it going without too much input from me I'm happy to let it continue. And maybe I'll feel different in the future. How has her not being here affected you?
Bryan,

The grieving process is ongoing for me, but I think you're on the right path at the moment.

One potential mistake we could all make is to underestimate the impact that new books, undiscovered photos, archival footage, rare recordings, etc. may have on her legacy. Although she is no longer "with us" so to speak, don't we all care about preserving and protecting her legacy? If you can figure out how to reduce the workload on you, then I feel it is best to keep the forum going for now. I may not post as frequently as before, but the sight of a new banner when I open the forum always brightens my day.

I really appreciate the careful way you've handled this difficult situation.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Musiclover » 13 Jul 2019, 11:06

Michael, your comment about preserving and protecting Doris's legacy reflects my feelings exactly. I, too, enjoy seeing a new banner now and then (although I think the current one is just terrific and would vote for it to be permanent if a choice were to be made about that).

Bryan, I echo Michael's appreciation for the way you've handled this most challenging situation. Keep on keeping on!

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 13 Jul 2019, 12:36

Michael and Musiclover, it is good to hear from you. I hope this DD Forum will give you, Bryan and others grieving, a sense of comfort and support.

Bryan's long leadership and creativity has celebrated and honoured Doris. During this difficult period, I hope we as members can support him.

I hope in time members will rally to a commitment to give Doris' legacy a continued voice through this forum. Michael and Musiclover, I share your concerns.

Take good care.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 13 Jul 2019, 14:16

Thank you, Johnny. Your positivity always lifts my spirits.

Michael
Michael H

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 14 Jul 2019, 16:30

I may not post as frequently as before, but the sight of a new banner when I open the forum always brightens my day.
Michael

I have exactly the same as you Michael.

Although it still does not reach me, Doris is dead, she is gone. She is in our hearts, in songs, in movies and in all that she left behind. However, still so sad ... Such people are eternal because they leave a permanent mark. We can listen to Doris songs, watch movies with her and smile. Always Doris brings so much joy into my life. The banner is always wonderful, just like the movie and song Secret Love!. And Doris looks like an angel here, and angels never die!
I hope you understand what I wrote?
viewtopic.php?f=11&p=66703#p66703
Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 15 Jul 2019, 00:50

Ania, you've expressed your thoughts very well. I agree that people who are joyous leave a permanent mark on us, and Doris certainly did exactly that.

jbeane
Forum Friend

Unread post by jbeane » 15 Jul 2019, 14:11

I appreciate the input from all of you and agree absolutely. Bryan, if we can keep it open without it being too much of a burden on you, I think everyone would be grateful and willing to help however needed. There are so many new pictures, stories, and recordings surfacing now that it would be a shame not to collect them here. I also look forward to hearing how you all feel about the new findings. There is a wealth of information here that we don't find on most of the social media. So much history and knowledge here. I would love to see it continue. Let me know if I can help Bryan.
Best,
Jill
"Someone drops a sigh and down you tumble"

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 18 Jul 2019, 16:38

Thank you all for your kind and helpful comments - will get back to you very shortly.

Meanwhile, I just realised it's the 60th Anniversary of Pillow Talk:

"Pillow Talk is an urbane time capsule that retains an idealized innocence as well as a chic sophistication. The film depicts an age where everybody smoked, men still wore suits and "stoned" meant "drunk." Rock Hudson is Brad Allen, a carefree bachelor and songwriter in the big city who shares a party line (one telephone line used by numerous customers) with Day's successful interior decorator Jan Morrow. The somewhat uptight Morrow, increasingly frustrated with Allen's tying up her telephone line to conduct his various liaisons, wants nothing to do with Allen... that is, until she meets him. He takes on the persona of Rex Stetson, a Texan transplanted, all alone, to the gleaming metropolis. Needless to say, the sparks soon fly.

Day brings to Pillow Talk her singular blend of sex appeal and wholesome virtuousness (not to mention innate class). Looking trendy in Jean Louis' haute couture, she's the rare actress who could impart warm sincerity and an icy veneer at the very same time. Pillow Talk also redefined Day as a strong, independent woman as the sixties began. The clean-cut, impeccably-tailored Hudson matches her with a relaxed, easy comic flair. Hudson, reportedly nervous during the shoot about starring in his first comedy, shines, whether performing shtick in a too-small automobile, or adopting the voices of both "Rex" and Brad on one telephone call with an agitated Jan. A playful tone permeates the screenplay by Stanley Shapiro and Maurice Richlin, which Gordon plays up with his clever visuals. The film shows just how far innuendo could go when delivered with wit, style and flair. There's very little that's actually risqué, but the hint is there. Gordon makes delicious use of split screens, including one memorable moment in which Jan and Brad, both bathing, appear to press their feet up to each other! In another device which sets Pillow Talk apart, voiceovers are used to reveal Jan and Brad's hidden thoughts. Naturally, there were opportunities in the film for song, including a turn from singer/pianist Perry Blackwell in a bar scene, and Doris Day's own performance of "Possess Me" as an inner monologue. She sings the infectious title song over the opening credit sequence.

Day and Hudson are surrounded by a "who's who" of character actors including William Schallert, Mary McCarty and Hayden Rorke, as well as Thelma Ritter and Tony Randall in prominent roles as Jan's tipsy housekeeper and her potential suitor, respectively. Randall, playing much-married, eight-million dollar man Jonathan Forbes, pursues Jan with the impeccably-timed comic fussiness he would perfect in later roles such as Felix Unger in television's The Odd Couple. (So important was Randall to the Day/Hudson "formula" that he would appear in both of the duo's future onscreen pairings.) Thelma Ritter as Alma steals each of her scenes with her deadpan (if sometimes sloshed!) delivery of the movie's best zingers. New York City itself is a supporting character, with one memorable montage including shots of the old Madison Square Garden, Roseland Ballroom, the Horn and Hardart automat, and the remarkably unchanged stretch of 45th Street with the Music Box and Imperial Theatres."
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/pill ... 00th-anniv
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 20 Jul 2019, 06:25

Beautiful PT banner.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 20 Jul 2019, 08:07

Thank you Bryan for this joyous Pillow Talk banner. The caption, "The Perfect Pair" is the definitive statement on the screen chemistry of Doris Day and Rock Hudson in Pillow Talk.

I really appreciate all the insightful information in the review by Joe Marches .The special 60th anniversary Blue-ray release of Pillow Talk sounds fascinating and I plan to add it to my collection.

It was mentioned that there is a section discussing Doris Day in comparison with her screen contemporaries Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn. I look forward to hearing about these legends.

The news of this 60th anniversary Pillow Talk Blu-ray Edition is exciting news. If any forum members see it, I would love to hear what your views are.

Thanks again Bryan.
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 24 Jul 2019, 09:27

Thanks Johnny!

Looking for an image I don't have to keep changing:

Image by Christie sietos. What do you all think?

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 24 Jul 2019, 10:29

Hi Bryan,

You have outdone yourself with this Doris Day banner.

I really love this bright, warm and fascinating banner. I have not seen this image before.

I find it so interesting and wonderful seeing Doris centered in a movie theater photo, looking great in a tuxedo surrounded by many of her male co-stars in suits. This image captures an incredible, historical film legacy of all these classic and timeless entertainers that have given us so much enjoyment.

It definitely is a feel-good banner that welcomes all members to this Doris Day Forum. I love the lighting giving shades of deep rich burgundy graduating into shades warm pinks. The movie theater seats evoke memories of countless hours spending time being transported to worlds of enchantment on the big silver screen. I love the elegant red velvet curtains.

There are still old neighbourhood theaters that have the red plush seats and red velvet curtains that give us endearing memories of a time when movie theaters were seen as temples of luxury and status available for everyone.

Thank you so much Bryan.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 25 Jul 2019, 01:10

I agree with Johnny - what a superb banner.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 24 Aug 2019, 05:58

wonderful banner!!!! 💕

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 27 Aug 2019, 16:01

Thanks all!

I'm on holiday this week but just grabbed some time to post this image by Puck:

Original: Doris Day and Kitty Kallen, Central Park, New York, April 1947.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 27 Aug 2019, 17:52

This is the original image:

Portrait of Doris Day and Kitty Kallen, Central Park, New York, N.Y., ca. Apr. 1947
Photographer. Gottlieb, William P.
Well done to Puck for her creativity here! :)

Who is Kitty Kallen?
Kitty Kallen (born Katie Kallen; May 25, 1921 – January 7, 2016) was an American popular singer whose career spanned from the 1930s to the 1960s, to include the Swing era of the Big Band years, the post-WWII pop scene and the early years of rock 'n roll. Kallen performed with popular big band leaders of the 1940s, including Jimmy Dorsey and Harry James before establishing a solo career.

She is widely known for her 1954 solo recording '"Little Things Mean a Lot", a song that stayed at the U.S. number one spot for nine consecutive weeks, charted in the U.S. for almost seven months, hit #1 on the UK singles chart, and sold more than two million copies. Voted "most popular female singer" in 1954 in both Billboard and Variety polls,[3] Kallen lost her voice at the London Palladium in 1955 at the top of her career and stopped singing before an audience for four years. After testing her voice under a pseudonym in small-town venues, she ultimately returned and went on to achieve 13 top-ten career hits.

Kitty Kallen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Kallen

JMoore

Unread post by JMoore » 27 Aug 2019, 20:51

webmaster wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 09:27
Thanks Johnny!

Looking for an image I don't have to keep changing:

Image by Christie sietos. What do you all think?
My friend Christie created this image without the stuff Bryan added. For Christie I printed and framed it. Doris loved it! She sent each of us handwritten thank you notes which we will both cherish forever.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 27 Aug 2019, 21:23

Thank you to Puck and Bryan for this beautiful and colourful banner of Doris and Kitty Kallen in Central Park. The original black and white photo has always been one of my favourites.

I love the bright blue sky with what looks like the sun or a spotlight shining on the youthful singers sitting on a bright gold trombone. So creative!

It is a radiant uplifting banner.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 28 Aug 2019, 03:58

A strikingly colorful banner from the talented Puck. I love the sight of them perched on that horn.

Thank you Puck and Bryan.

Michael
Michael H

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 28 Aug 2019, 11:08

Love this banner. Sitting on the horn = great idea!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 28 Aug 2019, 17:57

Great banner.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 29 Aug 2019, 14:07

If there are any forum Susan Hayward fans; tomorrow Friday August 30th on TCM there are 12 of Susan's films being featured. Starting at 6 am there is I Thank A Fool, then the delightful The Honey Pot at 8 am followed by A Stolen Life at 10 a.m.
At 6 p.m. the rarely seen My Foolish Heart is showing.
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 01 Sep 2019, 16:31

Methodically, deliberately, and compellingly…

The Master of Suspense, Alfred Hitchcock, hits another bullseye with his 1956 production of The Man Who Knew Too Much. Purists have been known to complain that they prefer Hitchcock’s original 1934 version of the story to the lavish, widescreen, color version starring James Stewart and Doris Day, but if viewed side by side, both films stand on their own as classic Hitchcock.

The 1956 version of The Man Who Knew Too Much unfolds like a beautiful book, methodically, deliberately, and compellingly. Stewart plays an American doctor and Day is his wife, a retired singer. They are vacationing with their young son, Hank, in Morocco, when they become embroiled in an international incident involving a planned assassination. Their son is kidnapped and taken to London. Day and Stewart follow and attempt to get some answers and to locate their son, on their own, without the help offered by Scotland Yard. The film reaches its exciting climax during a concert at Albert Hall in which Day suddenly realizes what is about to occur. Without giving away some of the intricate plot twists and turns, The Man Who Knew Too Much is like a breathtaking ride on a state-of-the=art roller coaster. You cannot help but get caught up in the plight of Stewart and Day.
https://www.dorisday.net/man-who-knew-too-much/

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 01 Sep 2019, 17:50

This The Man Who Knew Too Much banner is truly impressive. Just looking at Doris' eyes conveys anxiety and fear.
The expression on the musician with the symbols in front of the audience is foreboding.

Thank you to Bryan and Puck for another compelling and intricate Doris banner.
Johnny