Forum Banners 2019-2020

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Forum Banners 2019

Unread post by webmaster »

Thanks, Puck, nice to hear from you, I hope you liked the previous images of yours!

And Johnny, to answer your question, "I am wondering where the first photo of Doris was taken. It looks like it is from the early 1950s. I can't place it from one of her films", see the caption below.

September 1953. "Singer-actress Doris Day on the set of the film musical Calamity Jane."
Color transparency by Milton Greene for Look magazine.

I was just reading a few of the comments on another website with that image,
American Beauty: Doris Day: https://americandigest.org/american-beauty-doris-day

I came across a couple of quotes attributed to her that I've never seen before - interesting.
“I think grief is a very private matter, and that the public nature of a funeral is barbaric.” –dd

I have always thought that way, and have resisted participating in as many as possible, and will not have one myself.
What do people think of that?
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Bryan for the information.

Regarding Doris' statement on grieving and funerals, I think it speaks to her depth of feelings on loss and need for privacy. I respect her values on these subjects.

There are no right or wrong answers. Funerals are influenced by cultures and personal experiences.

I do think funerals are for the living to express grief and pay respect to the deceased with a sense of community. Funerals serve as a support system for the family and friends of the person who has died.

Funerals that left an indelible impression on me outside of my own family are those of much loved individuals President John Kennedy and Princess Diana. These funerals allowed people to grieve publically. Imagine how people would have felt if these individuals did not have public funerals. Can anyone forget Princess Diana"s
young sons William and Harry walking behind her funeral carriage?

Doris loved to make people happy
She loved to laugh. At the same time she dealt with many tragic circumstances in her life especially the loss of her son Terry in 2004. During these times she maintained her sense of privacy and dignity. Being a public figure, she never exploited her sorrow. Doris Day personified grace, good will and privacy all her life.

Doris chose not to have a funeral or a gravestone. This ichoice impacted members of the Doris Day Forum deeply. I believe the sense of community found on this forum helped us with our own sense of loss and grieving. I found many of the members' heartfelt posts consoling. I hope this was the case for other members as well.

The Doris Day Forum is a positive creative force acknowledging our continuing love and respect for Doris. I am truly thankful to be a member of this forum that is continually uplifting.
Johnny

webmaster

Thank you for those wise words, Johnny. I understand what Doris said but I tend to think that people need that ceremony to say goodbye and share it with other, otherwise, it might seem that your loved one was here one day and gone the next.

Our next banner and one of my favourite films, The Pajama Game:

Doris Day and John Raitt, The Pajama Game.

https://www.dorisday.net/the-pajama-game/

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Bryan for this glorious Doris banner featuring one of Doris' outstanding musicals, The Pajama Game.

I love the colours of soft cream, aqua, and gray blues that are so sophisticated.

I wish this film was shown more on television. It is one of the best and most underappreciated musicals in Hollywood history.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Bryan, your most recent post asked for thoughts about there not being a grave marker for Doris.

For several decades I lived not far from the cemetery where John Wayne is buried, and his grave remained unmarked for almost 20 years. This was a deliberate decision made by his family out of respect for the graves of “permanent residents” nearby. They felt that his would be such a heavily trafficked shrine that it would disturb other people who came to the cemetery to visit the graves of their loved ones. Doris was so thoughtful of others; I wouldn't be surprised if she had the same thing in mind when deciding against a grave marker for herself.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

In David Kaufman's book on Doris there are some insights on Doris' thoughts on death and funerals.

This a comment from Sheila Smith who worked as an assistant to Doris in the 1970's:"I think Doris' treats death differently from other people". Smith observed. "There's never a funeral. She mourns in a quiet way. It's as if she really doesn't want to know about it. But whenever one of the dogs died, it was a really big thing., with candles and photos and a kind of shrine. She always said dogs were more important than people".

I do recall another assistant, Sydney Wood, was responsible for burying Doris' deceased pets on the Carmel property. He remarked that Doris said she did not want to know where her beloved pets were buried.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Only Bryan would have thought of a monochromatic banner to celebrate Pajama Game. I love it.

I've always considered grief to be a very private and individual thing. Doris was a spiritual person who seemed in touch with her feelings about this subject, and I bet she gave it serious thought before she passed. That's enough for me and I choose not to dwell on it.

A number of You Tubers feature visits to stars' gravesites and I can only imagine the horror that would evoke in Doris, if she knew about it. Just think how many selfies fans would post on Instagram and Facebook, if she had a marked grave or crypt at a public cemetery. That does not seem consistent with the private person we knew and loved. Not to me, anyway.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster

Thanks, Johnny. I think there are some issues about the copyright or distribution rights of The Pajama Game. I did a search but couldn't find anything. I haven't seen it on TV for 20 years or more.

Some good points there about Doris being buried, Judy. I suppose if she were of a mind to, she could have gone to Forest Lawns where a lot of stars end up but she obviously wasn't. I was glad to read her comments in any case as it reassured me that those were her wishes.

I'm not sure I believe that Doris thought dogs were more 'important' than people, Johnny! I'm sure she didn't think that Biggest was more important than Terry, for example.

Thanks for the comment about the banner, Michael. And I completely agree with your saying, "Just think how many selfies fans would post on Instagram and Facebook if she had a marked grave or crypt at a public cemetery. That does not seem consistent with the private person we knew and loved." She was always down-to-earth and modest so she would have hated that.

webmaster

Doesn't Doris look fabulous here? :D Looks like 'Romance on the High Seas' period, 1948.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Bryan for this elegant and sophisticated Doris banner . The black and white really compliments this classic look.

I find these early photos facinating. It appears that the studio was trying to figure out how to promote Doris' image. In this photo we see the direct serious look in her eyes. It would be interesting to know what Doris is as thinking as this photo was taken. There is a
high probability she was happy to have it finished.
Johnny

webmaster

You can see that the forum has reverted to the default style. The person who updated it warned me this could happen with a new update (it needs to be updated regularly for security reasons).

Not sure what to do at the moment - but will have a think and keep you posted.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I noticed the change in format but it seems to be working just fine. Hope this won't cause a lot of work or expense on your part, Bryan.

This is a very regal pose - unlike the warmer, sunnier poses we associate with her. I can only surmise that WB wasn't sure what to do with her in the beginning. After ROTHS was released and audiences fell in love with Doris Day, the studio probably realized it was her sunny, upbeat persona that people responded to and she was marketed as the girl-next-door from then on. Still, this is a stunning shot and she looks every bit the glamorous movie star.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Bryan: A number of years ago I emailed Jim Pierson (MPI Video), an authority on everything Doris, and asked about "The Pajama Game" not being televised. Here was his reply verbatim:

"WB only have HOME VIDEO rights. Although they "own" the film, Warners made an unfortunate deal on Pajama Game and Damn Yankees where the underlying rights have to be renegotiated with the original owners of the stage musical source. The recent TV climate for old movies hasn't made it feasible to renew the films for that medium. At least they are on DVD..."

Hope that clears things up.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

There are many interesting conversations about The Pajama Game on the TCM message boards
that are informative and well worth reading.

I do recall seeing The Pajama Game on TCM.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

We haven't heard from Jas in some time.

I hope all is well with you. You are missed on this Doris Day Forum.

Cheers
Johnny

webmaster

Jas had some logging-in problem.

He's left a message here: viewtopic.php?p=67438#p67438

He'd probably appreciate it if more people responded. 8)

RobertOClare

Unread post by RobertOClare »

Hi,

At the beginning of January I said I would give you my impression of the pre-auction display of Doris Day costumes and collectables and its location, together with some photos (if possible) after I had visited. This is it......

Newbridge Silverware, Newbridge, Co. Kildare, Ireland is a small factory with a visitor center/sales showroom, located on the edge of a light industrial estate. Part of it is the MOSI (Museum of Style Icons). The main aim of the Museum is to attract more people who might be interested in buying their silverware products. You enter the visitor center from the street, but there are no visible signs directing you to the Museum. I found the entrance after walking around for a while, and there was some good publicity at the bottom of the stairs leading up to the museum. When you reach the first floor you are surrounded by glass display cases containing the clothes and memorabilia of many famous Hollywood stars, but nothing to indicate the location of the Doris Day Collection. Again I searched and found it. Without knowing the exact aims of Julien's Auction House in Los Angeles, and the reasoning behind their choice of location, it is hard make a fair judgement. In my opinion neither the location nor the display did justice to Doris. For the only display in the whole of Europe, there must surely have been a better and more fitting location.

There were 12 outfits in one place, other smaller displays of awards and jewelry, and a few of her favorite jumpers/sweaters (most with dogs on, of course!). In a separate location were four more items of clothing. There was a constant video playing, showing parts of the 'Doris Day Show' and excerpts from the 'Sentimental Journey' DVD. I stayed for about 40 minutes and during that time I was the only person there (on a Friday afternoon). For me this was great because I could look at each item for as long as I wanted without being disturbed. I think the best outfits were the one she wore for the 1989 Golden Globes ceremony (I always thought the ensemble was white, but it's actually ivory), the stunning chocolate brown outfit from the 1975 CBS TV Special that she wore when she sang 'Day by Day', and a brown leather jacket from 'With Six You Get Egg Roll'. Also on display was a green dress that Doris wore in 'On Moonlight Bay'. Apparently this was purchased by the Museum some years ago and will not be sold at the auction, which is nice. I was really surprised how small Doris was, and what an amazing figure she had to fit into some of the clothes!

It became quite a moving experience being there alone and so close to things that Doris had worn, and items that she treasured. I was also acutely aware that this was the last time all these items would ever be displayed together. Add to that the constant sound of her voice from the video and maybe you can imagine something of what it was like. I found it very hard to leave. I don't want to say that I felt Doris was there, because that would be an exaggeration, but there was certainly a very strong atmosphere in the room. I took a lot of photos, but with the glass and spotlights it was very difficult to get clear shots without reflections, so excuse the poor quality. I left feeling a bit like you do after a funeral, and the visit acted as a form of closure for me. I think this confirms what others have said about the human need for some focal point, be it a grave marker, a statue, or whatever, to remember someone by.

Here are some of the photos: - Well, I tried, but got a message "Board attachment quota has been reached" - can you help here Bryan? If not I'll put them on Flickr and paste the link here. Sorry about that.

Thanks,

Robert
"If you haven't fallen in love with Doris Day, there's something wrong with your heart"

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Robert for your detailed, thoughtful and insightful visit to the Kildare Museum of Style Icons featuring Doris Day memorbilia.

Once you reached the location, I am surprised you had to search for the exhibit. I am also surprised that you were the only one there. It must have been a thrill and emotional as well to experience seeing Doris' costumes and jewelry. I wonder if the jewelery was from films or personal collection. Doris' jewelry like her clothes always appeared classic and understated.

I do agree having something tangible and personal from a loved one who passed on is comforting. I have my father's gold wedding ring
which was originally my mother's. After she died dad had it resized and wore it for 20 years.

Doris' Golden Globe outfit looked spectacular on her.

It would be terrific to see a world tour of a Doris Day collection of clothing, photos , film and music memorbilia etc. to raise money for the Doris Day Animal Foundation.

Robert, I experienced the identical problem with "Board attachment quota has been filled". I found that my file hosting service and storage Dropbox service was full. I deleted a number of my photos and eventually I was able to post photos again.

I am sure Bryan will give you the best advice.

Thank you again Robert for sharing your experience. It was a pleasure to read.
Johnny

webmaster

Thanks a lot for that, Robert. If you want me to do anything specific, let me know. Otherwise. this is a link to the auction that contains many more links in the article: https://visitnewbridgesilverware.com/doris-day

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Beautiful banner, thanks Bryan! ❤️

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

RobertOClare

Unread post by RobertOClare »

Hi,

Further to my post of 3 February, this should be the link to the photos from the Exhibition

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/P9D467

Hope it works for you. I just tried it and it seems to be OK.

Robert
"If you haven't fallen in love with Doris Day, there's something wrong with your heart"

webmaster

That works fine, Robert, thanks. It felt kind of spooky just looking at it and thinking that Doris owned and wore many of the items. How did it feel walking around and seeing things? Maybe more personal? I wonder where she kept everything she collected over the years? Are you going to buy anything?

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Robert for sharing all the interesting photos of your visit to the Doris Day style exhibit.

I wish I had the opportunity to visit the museum. How fortunate you are.

The costumes appear to be generally solid light colours . The black dress appears to be from Doris' film, A Touch of Mink.

I wondered if some of the jewelry in the case was from Lullaby of Broadway or April in Paris films.I do recall Doris wearing a gold link chain necklace in one of those films.

The bracelet with the dog charm must be from Doris' personal collection which speaks to Doris' playful nature. I know Doris said she did not like flashy jewelry but preferred classic understated pieces.

I also looked at your Carmel photos. Doris looked so bright and well.

It is a real pleasure to see all these wonderful photos. Thank you again Robert.
Johnny

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

A great banner, Kirk Douglas is the last of the great world cinema, a great actor, an icon of the cinema!

Łódź, Kirk Douglas - documentary film shot in the third year of study.
Directed by: Marek Piwowski, Feridun Erol

First broadcast on Jan. 31, 1982 during martial law in Poland. Actor Kirk Douglas talks about the connection between artistic and political freedom, and shares memories from his visit to the National Film School in Łódź in 1966.

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

webmaster

Thanks, Ania,

Great videos - sad about Kirk, here's a link to more: https://upnewsinfo.com/2020/02/05/kirk- ... ge-of-103/

Also on my Twitter page: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

New banner a bit too large, have resized it but it's not showing yet (to me).