Forum Banners 2019

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Forum Banners 2019

Unread post by webmaster » 02 Feb 2019, 23:48

It's amazing that we still find so much to talk about regarding Doris and the fact that she's still here but so far away on another level. I wonder if she even knows we're here?

I sense so much love and interest in her on here. I think that if I had something like this devoted to me that I would have to respond in some way. But maybe I don't know what it's like to be a person of her age and how much energy she has. But I hope she knows that she's still loved by so many people

Late night thoughts reading some of the posts that people have made.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 03 Feb 2019, 02:14

Bryan, I believe Doris and her team who are dedicated to the Doris Day Animal Foundation are aware of this website.

They often email us about special events like Doris' birthday celebrations and fundraisers for animals.

I think the love we share for Doris' work that gives forum members so much joy and brings back sweet memories speaks for itself.

Doris Day is a lasting and treasured cultural icon of the 20th century.

Again Bryan, thank you for all your hard work and commitment to everything celebrating the work of Doris Day.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 03 Feb 2019, 09:27

MOD would have not happened without the tragic and untimely death of Marilyn Monroe. It was a rather bittersweet set of circumstances that led to Doris having another huge box-office hit and cementing her place at the top of the box-office charts. When Monroe was fired initially (later brought back only to be fired again), names like Lee Remick and Shirley MacLaine were mentioned as possible replacements, but Dean Martin nixed both of them because he was in Monroe's corner all the way.

At the time, Twentieth Century Fox was in serious financial trouble because of the massive overruns on Cleopatra. They needed a hit film that didn't cost them a boatload of money to produce and distribute. Fortunately, they were smart to realize they had a hit film with this remake of My Favorite Wife and they retooled it to suit the special talents of Doris Day. I often wondered if Doris had second thoughts or misgivings about replacing her polar opposite, Marilyn Monroe. My guess is she didn't give it much thought because they were so different and Doris knew she could bring something to the role that was all her own.

Garner was a much better romantic interest for Doris than Dean Martin. I cannot see anything about Dean Martin's ring-a-ding-ding swagger that would appeal to Doris. And I think Polly Bergen's neurotic, earthy Bianca was a much better foil for Doris than Cyd Charrisse's iciness.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 03 Feb 2019, 11:28

webmaster wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 23:48
It's amazing that we still find so much to talk about regarding Doris and the fact that she's still here but so far away on another level. I wonder if she even knows we're here?

I sense so much love and interest in her on here. I think that if I had something like this devoted to me that I would have to respond in some way. But maybe I don't know what it's like to be a person of her age and how much energy she has. But I hope she knows that she's still loved by so many people

Late night thoughts reading some of the posts that people have made.

Oh, I think Doris' team visits this site occasionally, if for no other reason than to obtain or verify facts about her film, television and music careers. This site is unique in the breadth and depth of Doris Day information. At this point, however, I think her team is mostly the volunteers and board of directors who oversee the DDAF. I don't think she has an agent or show business connection anymore. As for Doris, my impression is she is only mildly interested in revisiting her entertainment career. She has moved on and keeps her focus on helping the animals.

I think she is certainly gracious and appreciative of the love her fans feel towards her. Yet she is nothing at all like the faded movie star who clings to old press clippings of her glory days to get through the day. Norma Desmond, she aint'. Doris lives in the present and would probably find the love and admiration expressed here a bit embarrassing. She'd much rather talk about the work her animal organization is doing and the many wonderful homes they've found for displaced pets. Personally, I wouldn't want her to be anything other than what she is - the anti-movie star who couldn't care less about an honorary Oscar, SAG, or other Hollywood accolades.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 03 Feb 2019, 12:08

Beautifully expressed Michael.

During Doris' career she saw herself as a working woman with a job to do. She has had a really strong work ethic from an early age.

Doris always preferred baseball games and bicycle rides to Hollywood parties and premieres. She was an early to bed and early to rise girl who was always prepared for work. Doris' self-effacing character and authenticity really kept her out of Hollywood politics. I think this factor despite her stardom made her talent underappreciated and not acknowledged with awards. Doris has always cared about the work not the awards.

I think Doris left the politics and Hollywood networking to Marty so she could focus on the work. It is ironic that so many business decisions were controlled by Marty as Doris was playing professional, successful and independent business women on screen in Pillow Talk, Lover Come Back and It Happened To Jane.

Michael, I did find a publicist listed for Doris. Her name is Linda Dozoretz located on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles.

I believe Doris values her work for the joy it has given her fans and as a means to an end to raise money to help her beloved animals.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 03 Feb 2019, 13:26

I think Michael is correct about Doris not having a show business agent. Linda Dozeretz passed away in 2010. Seems logical that someone on the DDAF team would handle publicity for her, since DD's focus has been on animals for so many years and not on her previous career. It's kind of amazing to realize that her career as a promoter of animal welfare has lasted longer than did her career in the entertainment industry.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 03 Feb 2019, 13:30

Thank you Musiclover for the clarification.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 03 Feb 2019, 14:11

One more anecdote to share on this topic.

When Doris along with her friends and staff watched the 1950's tribute video I made, they were about half an hour into it when Doris asked them if they had had enough. LOL. She was tired of hearing someone go on and on about her and her work. To me, that speaks volumes about her attitude towards fan adulation and looking back. I'm sure she sincerely appreciated the thought and love that went into the video, but she did not like being fussed over.

Kids, they don't make 'em like Clara Bixby anymore. They just don't.

Can you imagine her take on social media and selfies? Run for the hills, Kim Kardashian.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 04 Feb 2019, 04:48

Thanks for your interesting comments, as always, Michael.

Re "When Doris along with her friends and staff watched the 1950's tribute video I made, they were about half an hour into it when Doris asked them if they had had enough. LOL. She was tired of hearing someone go on and on about her and her work".

I think that was just politeness, with a bit of natural modesty thrown in, Michael. I'm sure she was loving it but just checking that it was okay with everyone else! I find it hard to believe she has no interest in all of her past. Her life didn't begin with the DDAF and she must have such wonderful memories of her film and music career. I don't see how she could just think about animals all the time. I mean, they're cute but despite Rex Harrison's assertion, you can't really 'talk to the animals'!

I remember Paul telling me that when she discovered that none of her films were in the top best 100 American films, she said to him plaintively "I guess the work didn't stand up". She was wrong but I think that hurt her a bit because she made such a lot of celebrated and popular films and put everything into them, along with the top stars and co-stars of the time. Of course, many of her films will be in their top hundred best films for a great number of people all across the world and that's what really matters. :)

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 04 Feb 2019, 09:01

I'm telling you - Doris moved on, a long time ago.

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 04 Feb 2019, 10:53

Okay, I hear you! :)

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 05 Feb 2019, 12:23

I've heard the same. It saddens me to think she's not at all interested in looking back. Que Sera Sera!
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 06 Feb 2019, 15:03

Thanks, Howard. (I'm still not sure I really believe it. :wink: I'm sure she still remembers all the great people she worked with, at least. And how could she think of them and not the films?)

Anyway, here's Doris:

"The plot, in a nutshell, has Doris Day lost at sea and returning home to find husband James Garner newlywed to Polly Bergen. Thelma Ritter, as Garner’s mother, sends Day off to stop the honeymoon. Condensing the plot hardly does justice to the dozens of individuals and scenes that establish the characters and their relationships with all the sparkle of a bottle of quality champagne."

"Doris Day is a delight in every scene, despite the sometimes annoying coiffures conjured up by George Masters and some continuity people who appear to have briefly dozed. One would have liked Sydney Guilaroff to have designed the hairstyles since he showed a wonderful knack with Day’s hair in several films. Nevertheless, Day’s chemistry with Garner is sparkling and – whether breaking your heart in scenes with their two young daughters, or showing her ageless artistry as a flawless comic actress in scenes with Don Knotts or Chuck Connors, or going through a car wash in a convertible – she proves that her ranking as Hollywood’s Queen of Comedy was well deserved." - Ralph McKnight

https://www.dorisday.net/move-over-darling

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 07 Feb 2019, 05:03

Move Over Darling title track - banned by the BBC at the time for being too suggestive! (Despite the thumbs up from them below.)

“A Doris Day classic – a remake of the 1940s My Favorite Wife – in which the seriously correct blonde stars as a woman who returns from a desert island to find that her husband, James Garner, has remarried. Providing perfect support for Day and Garner are Polly Bergen as the other woman and Chuck Connors as the hunk who was marooned with Day. Stealing the show, however, is the wonderful Thelma Ritter as Day’s outspoken mother-in-law. Day’s popularity suffered from the onset of the sexual revolution in the mid-sixties when her wholesome image seemed out of step with the time.

But, this film shows how her great talent has endured. Slick, utterly professional and without a wasted scene, this is a sheer delight from start to finish.” – BBC Radio Times

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 07 Feb 2019, 05:42

I often think that Doris achieved peak goddess status in MOD. By that I mean, she was firmly atop the box-office charts, the most popular movie star in the world and her name pretty much guaranteed financing and a healthy return on the studio's investment. Because she was playing a role intended for that other screen goddess, MOD raised her profile to an even higher level in pop culture. When was Doris more platinum blonde in a film? Maybe in PT and LCB, but in MOD she almost seems to invite the Marilyn Monroe comparisons with her bouffant hairstyles and the revealing outfit she wore in the flashback scenes.

I think they are completely different actresses by the way. Their approach to comedy is very different as are their screen personas and the way they get the laughs. Yet it sure feels like Doris was asserting her place alongside Monroe as a mega screen goddess in this film.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 07 Feb 2019, 23:39

Thanks Bryan for this great Move Over Darling banner. Doris looks so sweet in the black and white photo and glamorous in the "Jane" costume.

Listening to Doris singing Move Over Darling is a true joy. There is a sexy seductive breathiness in her melodious voice.

Move Over Darling will always be one of my favourite Doris Day films.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 08 Feb 2019, 06:01

The title song is indeed an irresistible pop confection.

It is easily the best of the title songs among PT, LCB, DND and GBB. Beyond the catchy melody and suggestive lyrics, it has a Motown girl-group sound that Doris adapts to effortlessly. Kudos to Terry for co-writing the song and making it sound so contemporary and Top 10 ready. Doris' impeccable phrasing comes in handy too. She really sells it. It's not surprising that Berry Gordy became a huge fan of hers. I've always wondered if he became a fan before or after he heard her sing Move Over, Darling. How I wish Gordy had produced one of her mid-sixties albums and given her a few more Top 10 hits on the pop charts.

Proof positive that Doris could sing anything.

Michael
Michael H

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 08 Feb 2019, 13:31

Michael: He became a fan in the early 1950's:

Gordy revealed in his 1994 autobiography "To Be Loved", that one of the first songs he wrote - "You are You" - was actually inspired by Doris Day. Gordy recalled how he mailed it to Doris's Hollywood home but discovered years later she had never received it. Decades later, in 1993, Gordy hand-delivered the song to Doris at her home in Carmel (CA).

After seeing "I'll See You in My Dreams:

“When a singer can make you cry, you know she's got the goods.”
Like Irene Dunne done.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 08 Feb 2019, 13:46

Here they are in 1993:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 08 Feb 2019, 17:10

Thanks, Howard for the info - they both look very happy meeting up and yes it would have been very interesting to hear the results of a collaboration.

Michael, re Doris & Marilyn, good observations. A few thoughts:
I think MM looks and was more vulnerable than DD. Doris had her problems growing up but wasn't damaged by them to the extent that Marilyn was.
Doris took to acting like a duck to water, Marilyn would get so anxious about appearing in front of the camera that it would take hours to persuade her to leave her dressing room. Or even turn up.
They both wanted a family with children, Marilyn desperately. Doris had more luck there.
Doris liked staying at home, Marilyn was a party girl.
Marilyn only had about a dozen films in which she was a star, Doris had 39.
Co-stars they had in common: Thelma Ritter, Jack Lemmon, Richard Widmark, Cary Grant, Ginger Rogers, Oscar Levant, Lauren Bacall and Clark Gable.
Both were friends with Rock Hudson!

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 08 Feb 2019, 17:41

"Doris Day, long on the Top Ten player list in Box-office barometer, and James Garner, rapidly climbing to popularity through The Great Escape and The Thrill of it All, the latter another co-starring role with Miss Day, which became one of the smash hits of 1963, now appear in another madcap comedy which is certain to repeat in audience appeal and the resultant sensational box-office generally.

This new version is a constant delight, directed at a fast and furious pace by Michael Gordon and acted to the farcical hilt by the stars and the outstanding supporting players. The story of a missing, legally dead wife who returns after five years to find her husband just married to another may have its improbabilities, but the laughter is almost continuous, the few spicy bedroom sequences never offend and there’s even a mad car-wash scene which is unadulterated slapstick. The ruggedly handsome Garner has never been funnier and Miss Day, as the long-lost wife and Polly Bergen, as the sexy, hot-tempered new bride, are perfectly contrasted types.

One of the funniest, brightest marital adventures of the year, Day and Garner are superb in predicaments that are hilarious." – Motion Picture Magazine

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 08 Feb 2019, 22:48

Thank you Bryan for the great Move Over Darling article from Motion Picture Magazine.

In the beautiful banner there is Doris along with Thelma Ritter, James Garner and Polly Bergen and fifty six years later only Doris remains with us. This wonderful Move Over Darling cast created an enduring and endearing romantic comedy.

I appreciated the interesting conversation on Hollywood legends Marilyn and Doris. They continue to fascinate with their screen magic. They both remain loved.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 09 Feb 2019, 09:54

howard wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 13:31
Michael: He became a fan in the early 1950's:

Gordy revealed in his 1994 autobiography "To Be Loved", that one of the first songs he wrote - "You are You" - was actually inspired by Doris Day. Gordy recalled how he mailed it to Doris's Hollywood home but discovered years later she had never received it. Decades later, in 1993, Gordy hand-delivered the song to Doris at her home in Carmel (CA).

After seeing "I'll See You in My Dreams:

“When a singer can make you cry, you know she's got the goods.”
Thank you, dear Howard, for sharing the backstory. This really speaks to her universal appeal as an actress and singer. One wouldn't necessary put these two together and I'm thrilled they finally met in 1993. Great story!

Michael
Michael H

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania » 09 Feb 2019, 15:47

Bryan, your banner is always great! Fantastic movie, very funny!*•.¸♥¸.•*

Have a nice night and a successful Sunday, I wish you all :)🌺🌹🌺
Greetings from Poland:) Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 09 Feb 2019, 17:11

Hi all,

As I said before… I love this film. It sheers me up, when I'm in a down mood. Thanks for another great banner. Doris Day as Swedish nurse... Hahaha. :lol:

P