Doris' 97th Birthday Celebration

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
jmichael
Honorary Member

Doris' 97th Birthday Celebration

Unread post by jmichael » 21 Feb 2019, 10:38

Who's going from the forum?

I would love to hear updates throughout the weekend, including the Michael Feinstein concert and the Pillow Talk screening with the Q & A afterward hosted by TCM's Ben Mankiewicz.

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to keep us in the loop.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Re: Doris' 97th Birthday Celebration

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 09 Mar 2019, 05:52

Hi all,

I wish I could go... Can't get free from work…
For all who are attending, have a great time. Enjoy yourself!

P

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster » 22 Mar 2019, 17:08

How Hollywood Legend Doris Day Plans to Celebrate Her 97th Birthday

"Screen and song legend Doris Day will celebrate her 97th birthday on April 3 with her favorite sweet treat: Edy’s slow-churned chocolate fudge ice cream.

“Doris will be spending a quiet birthday at home again this year surrounded by a few close friends,” her business manager Bob Bashara tells PEOPLE. “She always gets lots of phone calls wishing her happy birthday. And, in the evening, she’ll enjoy a special birthday dinner followed by cake and ice cream.”

Ahead of her birthday, her adopted hometown of Carmel-By-The-Sea, California, where she moved in the 1970s, is hosting the Doris Day Animal Foundation Annual Benefit on Thursday, March 28 at the Cypress Inn.

To mark the 60th anniversary of one of Day’s most popular films, Pillow Talk, co-starring her close friend Rock Hudson, the Cypress Inn will offer a Pillow Talk cocktail, featuring vodka, Chambord and pineapple juice.

Then, on Friday, March 29, Turner Classic Movies host Ben Mankiewicz will introduce a screening of the film at Carmel High School Center for Performing Arts.

Following the screening will be a Q&A with some of Day’s friends including comedian and impressionist Rich Little, and Hollywood Squares host Peter Marshall, as well as a live auction of a signed Pillow Talk script and other memorabilia.

On Saturday, March 30, following a performance by Little, pianist Michael Feinstein will play favorites from the American Songbook, followed by a second auction to benefit the Doris Day Animal Foundation, featuring artwork painted and signed by Tony Bennett.

“I am so thrilled to have Michael Feinstein performing this year at the fundraiser for my animal foundation,” Day tells PEOPLE in a statement. “So many of my friends and co-stars will be joining him for the weekend activities and it’s all to help the precious four-leggers.”

Since stepping away from Hollywood over three decades years ago, the beloved star has devoted her time to animal-rights, founding the Doris Day Animal Foundation to help rescue and protect animals. (All proceeds from the weekend birthday celebration will benefit the foundation.)"

https://people.com/movies/how-doris-day ... urning-97/

Doris Day: See Rare, Unearthed Photos of Hollywood Star in the Prime of Her Career
https://people.com/movies/doris-day-rare-photos/
What a difference a Day makes...

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 22 Mar 2019, 21:00

I'll be part of a small team of SPCA volunteers to help out at Friday evening's event. If we're able to see or hear any of the program, you can be sure I'll post comments on the Forum.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 23 Mar 2019, 14:10

Hi Judy,

Great to hear that someone of the forum is around there. Hope you'll have a great time there and I hope to hear from you.

Enjoy your stay,

P

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 24 Mar 2019, 06:13

That's great, Judy, we look forward to reading your updates.

Enjoy!
Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 24 Mar 2019, 12:12

Posted on behalf of Judy Rigdon, who writes:

"(Bryan) I want to share with the forum members a news story from last year that I just discovered, but I don't know how to post it! Will you please post it for me? "

Dr. T. Robert Bashara wins 2018 AVMA Animal Welfare Award

"The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) has named Dr. T. Robert Bashara, founder of Gentle Doctor Animal Hospitals in Nebraska and chief financial officer of the Doris Day Animal Foundation, as the winner of the 2018 AVMA Animal Welfare Award.

The AVMA Animal Welfare Award is one of three AVMA Animal Welfare and Human Animal Bond Excellence Awards sponsored and funded by Merck Animal Health. It is presented to an AVMA member veterinarian in recognition of their achievement in advancing the welfare of animals via leadership, public service, education, research and product development, or advocacy.

Dr. Michael J. Topper, president of the AVMA, will present the award to Dr. Bashara at the 2018 AVMA Convention in Denver on Friday, July 13.

A 1963 graduate from the Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Dr. Bashara has provided veterinary care to generations of families' pets in and around Omaha, Neb., where he founded Mapleview Animal Clinic, the first location of what would become a three-location, 10-doctor practice.

Though retired from practice, Dr. Bashara remains active in promoting the health and welfare of animals across the country through his work with the Doris Day Animal Foundation, where he served as Day's veterinary consultant before becoming CFO of the foundation in 2009.

Dr. Bashara has been a long-time advocate of the spaying and neutering of companion animals. Throughout his career, he has worked with clients to educate them on the benefits of spaying and neutering, and under his leadership the Doris Day Animal Foundation's Spay Day USA has grown to become World Spay Day, advancing the spay-neuter message across the globe.

In 2015, Dr. Bashara helped secure emergency funding from the Doris Day Animal Foundation to help the Pacific Marine Mammal Center rescue, rehabilitate and release more than 200 seal lion pups after a food-supply crisis caused them to wash up on California beaches.

By recognizing animal welfare-related achievements through its Animal Welfare and Human Animal Bond awards, the AVMA hopes to raise awareness of the important roles people play in improving understanding of animal welfare-related issues. For more information on the AVMA's Veterinary Excellence Awards program, visit avma.org/Awards."
https://www.avma.org/News/PressRoom/Pag ... inner.aspx

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 24 Mar 2019, 13:08

Thank you, Bryan!

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 24 Mar 2019, 15:10

Thank you, Judy. :)

'Bob' Bashara is Doris' right-hand man, isn't he? Does he live in Carmel also? I've had a few emails from him - he seems a very nice man and devoted to Doris and the work to help animals.