Doris' 97th Birthday Celebration

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
jmichael
Honorary Member

Doris' 97th Birthday Celebration

Unread post by jmichael » 21 Feb 2019, 10:38

Who's going from the forum?

I would love to hear updates throughout the weekend, including the Michael Feinstein concert and the Pillow Talk screening with the Q & A afterward hosted by TCM's Ben Mankiewicz.

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to keep us in the loop.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Re: Doris' 97th Birthday Celebration

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 09 Mar 2019, 05:52

Hi all,

I wish I could go... Can't get free from work…
For all who are attending, have a great time. Enjoy yourself!

P

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster » 22 Mar 2019, 17:08

How Hollywood Legend Doris Day Plans to Celebrate Her 97th Birthday

"Screen and song legend Doris Day will celebrate her 97th birthday on April 3 with her favorite sweet treat: Edy’s slow-churned chocolate fudge ice cream.

“Doris will be spending a quiet birthday at home again this year surrounded by a few close friends,” her business manager Bob Bashara tells PEOPLE. “She always gets lots of phone calls wishing her happy birthday. And, in the evening, she’ll enjoy a special birthday dinner followed by cake and ice cream.”

Ahead of her birthday, her adopted hometown of Carmel-By-The-Sea, California, where she moved in the 1970s, is hosting the Doris Day Animal Foundation Annual Benefit on Thursday, March 28 at the Cypress Inn.

To mark the 60th anniversary of one of Day’s most popular films, Pillow Talk, co-starring her close friend Rock Hudson, the Cypress Inn will offer a Pillow Talk cocktail, featuring vodka, Chambord and pineapple juice.

Then, on Friday, March 29, Turner Classic Movies host Ben Mankiewicz will introduce a screening of the film at Carmel High School Center for Performing Arts.

Following the screening will be a Q&A with some of Day’s friends including comedian and impressionist Rich Little, and Hollywood Squares host Peter Marshall, as well as a live auction of a signed Pillow Talk script and other memorabilia.

On Saturday, March 30, following a performance by Little, pianist Michael Feinstein will play favorites from the American Songbook, followed by a second auction to benefit the Doris Day Animal Foundation, featuring artwork painted and signed by Tony Bennett.

“I am so thrilled to have Michael Feinstein performing this year at the fundraiser for my animal foundation,” Day tells PEOPLE in a statement. “So many of my friends and co-stars will be joining him for the weekend activities and it’s all to help the precious four-leggers.”

Since stepping away from Hollywood over three decades years ago, the beloved star has devoted her time to animal-rights, founding the Doris Day Animal Foundation to help rescue and protect animals. (All proceeds from the weekend birthday celebration will benefit the foundation.)"

https://people.com/movies/how-doris-day ... urning-97/

Doris Day: See Rare, Unearthed Photos of Hollywood Star in the Prime of Her Career
https://people.com/movies/doris-day-rare-photos/
What a difference a Day makes...

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 22 Mar 2019, 21:00

I'll be part of a small team of SPCA volunteers to help out at Friday evening's event. If we're able to see or hear any of the program, you can be sure I'll post comments on the Forum.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 23 Mar 2019, 14:10

Hi Judy,

Great to hear that someone of the forum is around there. Hope you'll have a great time there and I hope to hear from you.

Enjoy your stay,

P

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 24 Mar 2019, 06:13

That's great, Judy, we look forward to reading your updates.

Enjoy!
Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 24 Mar 2019, 12:12

Posted on behalf of Judy Rigdon, who writes:

"(Bryan) I want to share with the forum members a news story from last year that I just discovered, but I don't know how to post it! Will you please post it for me? "

Dr. T. Robert Bashara wins 2018 AVMA Animal Welfare Award

"The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) has named Dr. T. Robert Bashara, founder of Gentle Doctor Animal Hospitals in Nebraska and chief financial officer of the Doris Day Animal Foundation, as the winner of the 2018 AVMA Animal Welfare Award.

The AVMA Animal Welfare Award is one of three AVMA Animal Welfare and Human Animal Bond Excellence Awards sponsored and funded by Merck Animal Health. It is presented to an AVMA member veterinarian in recognition of their achievement in advancing the welfare of animals via leadership, public service, education, research and product development, or advocacy.

Dr. Michael J. Topper, president of the AVMA, will present the award to Dr. Bashara at the 2018 AVMA Convention in Denver on Friday, July 13.

A 1963 graduate from the Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Dr. Bashara has provided veterinary care to generations of families' pets in and around Omaha, Neb., where he founded Mapleview Animal Clinic, the first location of what would become a three-location, 10-doctor practice.

Though retired from practice, Dr. Bashara remains active in promoting the health and welfare of animals across the country through his work with the Doris Day Animal Foundation, where he served as Day's veterinary consultant before becoming CFO of the foundation in 2009.

Dr. Bashara has been a long-time advocate of the spaying and neutering of companion animals. Throughout his career, he has worked with clients to educate them on the benefits of spaying and neutering, and under his leadership the Doris Day Animal Foundation's Spay Day USA has grown to become World Spay Day, advancing the spay-neuter message across the globe.

In 2015, Dr. Bashara helped secure emergency funding from the Doris Day Animal Foundation to help the Pacific Marine Mammal Center rescue, rehabilitate and release more than 200 seal lion pups after a food-supply crisis caused them to wash up on California beaches.

By recognizing animal welfare-related achievements through its Animal Welfare and Human Animal Bond awards, the AVMA hopes to raise awareness of the important roles people play in improving understanding of animal welfare-related issues. For more information on the AVMA's Veterinary Excellence Awards program, visit avma.org/Awards."
https://www.avma.org/News/PressRoom/Pag ... inner.aspx

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 24 Mar 2019, 13:08

Thank you, Bryan!

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 24 Mar 2019, 15:10

Thank you, Judy. :)

'Bob' Bashara is Doris' right-hand man, isn't he? Does he live in Carmel also? I've had a few emails from him - he seems a very nice man and devoted to Doris and the work to help animals.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 24 Mar 2019, 19:12

Helping to answer my own questions:

Bob, right, and Jan Bashara with Doris Day.

Life-long Advocate

Dr. Bob Bashara has long had a passion for animal welfare. Throughout his career, he has worked with clients to educate them on the benefits of spay/neuter and well-pet care.

And although he was a fan of movie star Doris Day, he didn’t realize they were kindred spirits in this arena.

Bashara (’63), remembers watching “Good Morning America” and seeing an interview with Day about the death of her close friend and fellow actor Rock Hudson.

“At the end of the interview they asked her about her animal foundation and she got big tears when she was talking about it,” Bashara recalled. “I thought, ‘here’s someone who is really passionate about what she was doing.’”

Bashara shared his mutual passion for the spay and neutering of dogs and cats in a letter to the actress. He thanked her for her work with animals and the impact she had on animal welfare.

He didn’t think much about the letter after that. And he for sure didn’t expect a response – least of all the response he got. While on a trip to California, Bashara and his wife Jan stayed at Day’s hotel in Carmel.

“When I returned home, there was a note on my office door marked ‘personal’ – Doris had replied to my letter and asked me to let her know the next time I was in California,” Bashara said.

A lunch among the three cemented a fast friendship between the Omaha veterinarian and the Hollywood star and the start of a second career for Bashara. Today Bashara, retired from his Omaha practice, is the chief financial officer of the Doris Day Animal Foundation (DDAF). He also serves as Day’s business manager for her entertainment ventures.

In his roles, he has raised additional funds to support hundreds of organizations across the nation who house, feed and provide veterinary care to thousands of rescued animals every year. He continues to oversee the grantee-selection process and all financial aspects of the DDAF.

Day also founded the Doris Day Animal League (a lobbying organization which advocates for animal welfare legislation) and under its auspices started Spay Day USA which has now become World Spay Day operating in 43 countries. Bashara works closely with the Humane Society of the United States in administering the program which has resulted in the spaying and neutering of more than 1.5 million animals since 1995.

“I work with the Foundation every day and have been a longtime supporter of the Humane Society and their efforts to rescue animals,” Bashara said. “Just like Doris, I’m passionate about rescues.”

One such rescue was Duffy, a Maltese the Basharas rescued in Omaha and gave to Day. The dog had been left on the Nebraska Humane Society’s doorsteps and was in poor, physical shape. The Basharas nursed it back to health.

“Duffy became a great pet for Doris,” Bashara said. “She had just lost a small white dog and I knew she would love him.”

The DDAF now has a Duffy Day Lifesaving Program, giving a second chance to disadvantaged animals that may otherwise be euthanized. The program has served as a fundraising model for shelters across the country.

“I do enjoy what I do,” Bashara said. “I consider myself retired from veterinary medicine, but the Day Foundation has been like another career.

“It’s been a lot of fun.”

https://vetmed.iastate.edu/story/bob-bashara

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 25 Mar 2019, 07:51

I believe his primary residence is in Omaha, Nebraska and he goes back and forth between there and Carmel. His daughter used to take care of Doris' website, but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Michael
Michael H

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 25 Mar 2019, 07:53

Scott Dreier will be doing live streams from Carmel this weekend via Facebook Live, if you want to follow the events via social media.

Michael
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 25 Mar 2019, 11:40

Bryan, thanks for posting this additional story about Dr. Bashara. I'm sure it's a comfort to Doris to know that her foundation and finances are being capably handled by someone of great integrity.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 30 Mar 2019, 09:48

If you follow Scott Dreier on FB, you know that he's been doing a series of Live streams with the celebrities who are in Carmel to celebrate Doris' birthday. So far, he's interviewed Jackie Joseph, Peter Marshall and Rich Little along with some on the spot interviews with others who are there. This year's event seems much bigger than the ones before. I haven't managed to catch any of the streams in real time, but you can watch them back if you follow Scott. It's not surprising but it is touching to hear the lovely things her colleagues have to say about her. I've also seen a few pics from last night's Pillow Talk screening and the DDAF auction. I hope they raised lots of money for the precious four-leggers.

Michael

Here's a pic Ben Mankiewicz posted on his Twitter feed. This was taken at last night's DDAF auction and the PT screening.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael H

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 02 Apr 2019, 13:23

Hi all,

Thanks for all the updates and photo's hope to see some footage from the balcony too (loved to be there this weekend, but I couldn't) . But most important. Doris is looking great, hope she has a good time tomorrow.

:D

I'm enjoying this group for years and years now, Bryan who makes it all possible and you all that contribute your story's, photo's, banners, thoughts, background information, video's and music etc. I hope we will continue for a long long time... But we all know: Que Sera, Sera...

Have a great Day tomorrow!!!

P

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 02 Apr 2019, 15:12

Don't worry, Peter, I'll be here as long as everyone else is (God willing) - or even if it's just you and me! :D

Better later than never:

Lots of birthday stuff on Doris Day Tribute Twitter account: https://twitter.com/dorisdaytribute

And DDAF: https://twitter.com/DDAF_org

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 02 Apr 2019, 16:19

Happy Birthday to an Icon: Doris Day Turns 97!
By Nellah Bailey McGough

"Move Over, Darling was the first Doris Day movie I ever watched. I remember clear as day (no pun intended) heading to the Winona Theater holding my mother's hand. I was 4-years-old when my love for the actress and her movies began. Doris Day made 39 movies but my favorites will always be her romantic comedies. While playing the wife or girlfriend to handsome leading men, such as Rock Hudson, James, Garner, Clark Gable, and Cary Grant, her characters were more than the all-American girl next door.

The women she portrayed juggled careers and family with a healthy and entertaining dose of crazy drama mix. She played characters who were no-nonsense and tough as nails while sporting that fresh-faced smile and adorable sense of humor. And she wore such fabulous clothes. No wonder she was the most popular female box office draw in the early 1960s.

She also loved animals, and dogs played a big part in her movies as well as her television show. (Remember her big sheepdog, Lord Nelson, on The Doris Day Show? Well, Lord Nelson also played Tramp on My Three Sons.) Because of this passion, Day created The Doris Day Animal Foundation to help homeless, abused, neglected, and senior animals. Since most of us probably won’t be attending her 97th birthday celebration at her hotel, The Cypress Inn, in Carmel-by-the-Sea, California, my present to the icon will be a donation to her Foundation. I think she’d like that and it’s the least I can do after the years of laughter she’s given me through her movies. Happy, Happy Birthday, Doris Day!

Never seen a Doris Day movie? Here are some of my favorites:
Pillow Talk (Rock Hudson)
Move Over, Darling (James Garner)
Lover Come Back (Rock Hudson)
That Touch of Mink (Carey Grant)
Send Me No Flowers (Rock Hudson)
The Glass Bottom Boat (Rod Taylor)
The Thrill of it All (James Garner)
Please Don’t Eat the Daisies (David Niven)
With Six You Get Egg Roll (Brian Keith)
https://www.southernliving.com/culture/ ... /doris-day

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 02 Apr 2019, 17:13

Hollywood legend Doris Day has big plans to celebrate her 97th birthday

"It doesn’t matter how old she gets, Doris Day’s beauty is eternal.

The famous singer, actress, animal rights activist, and television host is fast approaching her 97th birthday (she’ll turn 97 on April 3, 2019), but you’d never guess it.

Day looks as good as ever, and it turns out she has cozy plans for her big day.

To us, Day is a legend whose work will endure long after she’s gone from this world. She may have made her name in the spotlight, but her true moral fibre was revealed when she stepped away from all that and became the change she wanted to see in the world.

Help us wish Doris Day a wonderful happy birthday and many happy returns!

Share this article if you think she’s a true legend."

https://en.stories.newsner.com/family/h ... -birthday/

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 02 Apr 2019, 17:29

Here's a Hollywood 97th birthday we missed: :(

Do you recognise her? :)

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2019/01/ ... enultimate

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 03 Apr 2019, 11:31

2019 Carmel - Doris Day & Jackie Joseph

Enjoy our Day,

P

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 03 Apr 2019, 11:41

Great photo, Peter. That's a real smile from Doris there.
A smile you get only from being with a close friend. :)

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 03 Apr 2019, 14:17

A truly lovely pic of Doris and Jackie Joseph - love it. Doris looks great.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 04 Apr 2019, 07:39

Michael Feinstein posted this note and photo on his Twitter feed yesterday.

"I got to experience one of the great thrills of my life on Saturday... spending the afternoon with a hero of mine, #DorisDay! Today in honor of her birthday. A picture I will cherish, always! I am forever changed for getting the chance to meet this amazing woman. Love, always!"

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael H

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 04 Apr 2019, 08:05

Great photo, Michael! Thanks for finding it.

Here's an interview with Doris from 2011 with People Magazine. They referred to in mentioning her current birthday and I found it interesting to read so thought I'd share it.

Doris Day Gives a Rare Interview

BY ROGER FRIEDMAN

December 2011: Doris Day is 87 years young, and you could still fall in love with her, even over the phone. Her buttery speaking voice, which kind of purrs as she recalls her halcyon days as a screen star and singing sensation, has not aged, despite her protestations. She laughs a lot in our conversation about her extraordinary career.

Long before Julia Roberts or even Barbra Streisand, the Cincinnati-born Day was the reigning queen of the box office—the No. 1 money-making star for four years in the early to mid-1960s. Nominated for an Oscar for the comedy Pillow Talk (costarring her buddies Rock Hudson and Tony Randall), Day has some knockout dramatic performances on her resume, too: Love Me Or Leave Me (which Martin Scorsese later used as the inspiration for New York New York) and Alfred Hitchcock’s The Man Who Knew Too Much, with Jimmy Stewart. Many of her films were made at Warner Bros., which, unlike MGM, was not known for its musicals.

“At Warner Bros. they had serious films,” Day tells me. “All the dramatic actresses were there. When they hired me, they didn’t know what to do with me. The first thing they put me in was Romance on the High Seas, a little comedy. The next one was My Dream Was Yours—I don’t even know what that was about.”

She did know about singing, and she had hit after hit for two decades.

This month, Day released a new album in the US, already a Top 10 hit in Britain in the fall. My Heart—all the proceeds from which go to the Doris Day Animal Foundation—features 13 tracks, 9 of which were produced in the 1980s by her late son Terry Melcher, famous for his work with the Byrds and the Beach Boys. Two highlights of this sterling collection are “You Are So Beautiful” and the Beach Boys classic “Disney Girls.” On the day I spoke to her, Day’s most famous song, “Que Sera, Sera,” was selected for the Grammy Hall of Fame, where it joins her recordings of “Secret Love” and “Sentimental Journey.” She also has a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.

Day was married four times. After her third husband, Marty Melcher (also her manager), died in 1968, she learned she was in financial straits and went ahead with a TV series Melcher had committed her to, which became the top-rated Doris Day Show. After five seasons, she bowed out and went into semi-retirement.

The star has lived for 40 years in Carmel, California, where she’s a well-known animal rights activist and owner of a popular inn. Fear of flying has kept her from going to New York, Los Angeles, or Washington, D.C. to accept the many awards she’s been offered. Her return to the spotlight with My Heart could not be more welcome. Modest to a fault, Day—who continues to receive hundreds of fan letters each week—doesn’t seem to fully appreciate her place in popular culture. But recently a visit from a Beatle provided further evidence of her vast influence.

PARADE: Paul McCartney interviewed you recently for a British newspaper about My Heart. What was that like?
I think it went well. I was out walking my dogs, and the man who works here came out and said, “It’s Paul McCartney on the phone.” I said, “All right, tell me who it really is.” I thought it was someone playing a game. He said, “Will you please tell her that I want to know her and want to come and see her.” It was Paul, and he did come, with his new wife. We had hours here. It was really nice. And he’s really cute.

One night the phone rang around 2:30 in the morning; I thought something terrible had happened. He said, “Hey, what are you doing?” I said, “Well, I was sleeping.” He would call at all hours just to say hello. He got a big kick out of that.

Your new album, My Heart, was mostly produced by your late son, Terry. Most people don’t know he co-wrote “Kokomo” for the Beach Boys.
And they didn’t win [the Grammy] that year. That was a crime. [The song lost in 1989 to Phil Collins’s “Two Hearts.”] That year, that was so terrible. At the table we were really….I thought was an insult. I loved “Kokomo.” It was so popular.

And you covered the band’s song “Disney Girls,” which he produced. How was that?
I loved it. If it’s a good song, I love singing so much. I get so involved.

Do you sing much now?
I can’t now. I could still sing until I got bronchitis. I had a very, very bad attack a couple of years ago; I thought I would never get over it. That’s why I sound different. But sometimes I sing along with something, and I think, “That wasn’t bad.” I wonder sometimes if I could start vocalizing.

I’m interested in your technique as a singer. Your phrasing is so elegant and simple. Did you think about what you were doing?
No. I knew the songs that we were going to do. We would put them together at my house. We would all decide what to do. The words were there, and the words told a story. I can’t say any more than that, except I loved singing.

Was the label always suggesting songs to you?
They used to tell us what to do. The album I did with Andre Previn [1962’s Duet], I picked my own then.

A great favorite is “Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps,” from the Latin for Lovers album.
I loved making that album. At first I thought, “I’m going to do this? Me?” But I fell in love with all the songs. It’s maybe one of my favorites of all time.

Were there songs you weren’t thrilled with?
[long pause] “The Purple Cow.” When they tagged that one on me, that was it. “I never thought I’d ever see a Purple Cow.” Isn’t that terrific? Great idea. Oh lord! I don’t like to fight with people and say I won’t do that! But you also get a lot of good things to do.

What was it like singing with Les Brown and His Band of Renown?
It felt good. And if you liked the song, it was wonderful, because people came right up to the bandstand and it was great fun. They wanted to say hello to you.

Did the band kid around with you a lot?
I had a great time. The guys were so nice to me–they looked after me and helped me, they took all my baggage. They were all like my brothers.

Was it a big change for you when you went solo?
The first time I ever worked alone, I had two shows a night at the Little Club on East 55th St. in New York. I opened it. My mother was with me, and my little baby. It was something so new for me. I thought, “What am I doing?” I was so used to having the guys behind me. But it turned out to be really nice. The people kept coming back! I was surprised! A lot of the women were Vogue types, models, all dressed up like crazy. They would say, “Come on over and have a drink.” But I wasn’t drinking. I would go back to my apartment between shows.

You were not a drinker?
No.

Other singers—Billie Holiday, Judy Garland—had terrible substance problems. How did you avoid it?
Easy—I didn’t do it.

Many other performers would party all night.
Party all night? Oh lord! No, no no! I don’t even like parties.

When acts like the Beatles became popular, did you resent it? It’s been widely acknowledged by many singers of your era that rock groups hurt your careers.
Not at all. Weren’t they entitled? I thought when I heard [the Beatles] that they were very good. That never occurred to me. And Paul was the one who got in touch with me!

Tell me about your costars. What was Jimmy Cagney like?
I loved him. He was a wonderful person, just adorable. Not in that film [Love Me or Leave Me], he wasn’t. Oh, he was nasty!

Tony Randall?
He was so superb, so funny. He was always in New York after that. I just loved him. Did we ever [have fun]! We laughed.

James Garner?
We keep in touch. He’s funny.

Rock Hudson? The two of you had such great chemistry.
We really liked each other. He named me Eunice, just for fun. I was always Eunice with him. I was up here filming a show [Doris Day’s Best Friends, July 1985] when all of a sudden he appeared. At first I didn’t know who he was. I looked at him and was almost in tears. He was so thin, just gaunt. It was just unbelievable. But we walked and laughed together. He was so seriously ill, but he was still funny. It just about put me away—it’s so hard to be funny when you know what’s going to happen.

Jimmy Stewart?
Wonderful. I had a great time with all the gentlemen I worked with. Really.

Looking back, all your costars were men. Was there ever a woman you would have liked to be in a movie with? An actress you thought was funny? Or would you have done something like Thelma and Louise?
No. [pause] Yes, if there was a really great script and a reason. But I always thought the women should be with the men.

https://parade.com/864629/walterscott/h ... ading-men/

howard
Special Contributer

Hollywood Reporter - Doris Day interview

Unread post by howard » 04 Apr 2019, 11:28

Here's an interview that appeared on April 3, in the Hollywood Reporter:

Doris Day, in Rare Interview, Talks Turning 97, Her Animal Foundation and Rock Hudson: "I Miss Him"
By Laurie Brookins

Doris Day in 'Pillow Talk' (1959). Photofest

The star, whose birthday is Wednesday, talks exclusively to The Hollywood Reporter about her quiet life and the lasting impact of her films.

Doris Day has remained intensely private since retiring from acting: It’s been 30 years since she last appeared in public, accepting the Cecil B. DeMille award at the 1989 Golden Globes Awards, while her final television interview took place in 1994 with Leonard Maltin.

That doesn’t deter Day’s fans, however, from gathering each year in late March in her hometown of Carmel, California, to take part in a three-day party commemorating the legendary actress’ birthday. The event doubles as a fundraiser for the Doris Day Animal Foundation, founded in 1978, and this year including a 60th-anniversary screening of Pillow Talk, in which Day famously co-starred with Rock Hudson, followed by a Q&A with Turner Classic Movies host Ben Mankiewicz.

Occasionally, however, Day consents to interviews, aided by her longtime publicist, Charley Cullen Walters. As she turns 97 on Wednesday, the star — known for her effervescent personality and a singing voice that music writer Walt Friedwald once called “a sound like bottled sunshine” — agreed to answer a few questions exclusively for The Hollywood Reporter.

What are your plans for celebrating your 97th birthday on Wednesday?
I have dear pals in from out of town, and we’ve been celebrating all week, reminiscing over lovely, quiet dinners at home.

Do you have any favorite gifts you love to receive? If someone asks, “What should I get you?,” what would you tell them?
My wonderful fans always send me such thoughtful gifts. I cherish them, of course, but above all else, I’m so grateful for the donations to the Doris Day Animal Foundation. That is what I would love instead of gifts!

What do you think about the group that gathers in Carmel every year for a three-day fundraiser to celebrate your birthday?
I’m floored that so many fans come to Carmel every year to celebrate my birthday and help raise money for the animals. The group seems to be growing every year, and I’m touched by the outpouring of love, and grateful for their support.

How do you continue to stay involved with the Doris Day Animal Foundation, and what should people know about the work done by this organization?
I started my animal foundation in 1978, when more than 17 million homeless pets were being euthanized every year, and spaying and neutering was practically unheard of. Animal-welfare awareness has improved tremendously over the last four decades, and euthanasia rates are down to approximately 2.5 million, but there is still much work to be done. DDAF’s grants support nonprofit organizations and programs across the country that directly help animals and the people who love them.
We are living in stressful times, with nonprofit organizations feeling the pressure of budget cuts. The Special Olympics was a recent example that was threatened with having its funding cut.

How challenging is it to keep people motivated these days to contribute to a nonprofit organization?
I have found that, no matter what the times are like, people like to give to what they care about. In my case, my passion for my four-legged friends and other animals, they always provide love when we need it most. I thank everyone for helping to support that cause.

Why do you think your films continue to resonate with fans of all ages?
I get so many love letters from fans as young as 8 years old, telling me they were introduced by my films and music by their great-grandmothers, and my movies make them happy. Different films resonate with viewers for different reasons, but the common thread seems to be that my films are uplifting.

Pillow Talk is celebrating its 60th anniversary this year. What can you share about filming this iconic movie?
I had such fun working with my pal, Rock. We laughed our way through the three films we made together and remained great friends. I miss him.

What is your favorite film of all time, and why is that the choice?
I’ve always been a little partial to Calamity Jane. I was such a tomboy growing up, and she was such a fun character to play. Of course, the music was wonderful, too — “Secret Love,” especially, is such a beautiful song.

Your costumes in Pillow Talk, by Jean Louis and Bill Thomas, also stand out as a great example of fashion-in-film of that era, and have influenced modern fashion designers. How important were the costumes in forming a character in your work?
I was very fortunate to work with talented costume designers. The costumes in Pillow Talk were trend-setting and certainly informed the role I played. I wish I still had some of them.

Finally, how would you describe your legacy in film? What impact do you believe you ultimately made on 20th century cinema?
I enjoyed working and always tried to do the best job I could with every role. I’m thrilled to know that people are still watching my films and are uplifted by them.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... on-1199279
Like Irene Dunne done.