Chatting about Doris...

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
buttercup
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Chatting about Doris...

Unread post by buttercup »

doris-day-fan wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 14:13
Happy Birthday dear Doris - remembering all the fun times with you. Just wanted to share this article that just came out about my 'sentimental journey.'

https://manchesterinklink.com/the-days- ... l-journey/

I thank God for the memories!!! xo

Mary Anne
Mary Anne, thanks for the link to your article, and most of all (in case I haven't said so already), thankyou for your excellent book! I reread it again recently and always so appreciate your insights. Such an important book in documenting a unique facet of Doris' life.

buttercup

Johnny wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 16:36
I was impressed by Doris’ grandfather’s white bakery rack that Doris placed bread on as a young girl when she worked in his store. She kep it in each of her homes and used it for her sweaters
I also love this item... Oh, to be wealthy enough to bid! It would be great if her grandson kept it, such a Kappelhoff family heirloom.

buttercup

doris-day-fan wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 13:46
On another note, Keith Angstadt of www.mybnr.com and I will be interviewing Les Brown, Jr., this afternoon for a special show coming up on Monday, March 30th @ 3pm EST, and repeated on Tuesday, March 31st @ 5am & 9am EST. We will be chatting with him about his awesome CD/LP DORIS DAY /With Love....I bought the LP which is really nice to have - love the photo of Doris on both CD & LP...Will be a real sentimental journey for us to chat with Les.
Mary Anne, did this interview go ahead? If so, is there a link to where we could listen to it? Many thanks in advance!

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Hi Buttercup,
Thanks for your note above - just wanted to let you and everyone know the interview Keith and I did with Les Brown, Jr., will air again tomorrow, Sunday, April 5th at 6pm Eastern Time on www.mybnr.com
Les is a great guy and fun to talk to and hear his memories of Doris and about the new DORIS DAY -WIth Love CD/LP. It was nice to get a real LP these days, especially a Doris one. Stay safe and well - just know, this too, shall pass!

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Doris Day's Awards, Animal Artifacts Haul In $3M At Auction

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-peop ... SKBN21O04P

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Thanks for this link, Michael. I made some notes during the auction and was interested that the 4 Golden Globes combined fetched nearly as much as the Model A car. Doris's partner at Cypress Inn, Denny Levett, owns a number of collectible cars, which led me to wonder whether he might've been the highest bidder on the Model A. These auction proceeds will certainly help a lot of 4-leggers!

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

What a weekend! Am sure most of you tuned in to watch some of the Julien Auction over the weekend - it was interesting to see ALL the items up for grabs. Just wonder where did Doris store all of these? Must have had some vaults somewhere...when I lived with her, the closet in the den, which was my office, was filled with boxed awards. Doris was not a show off and had all of them closeted. But don't you just wonder where on earth did she have all this nostalgia stored over the past nearly 50 years. I knew the man who gave her the old car - and it sold well. It was just interesting to see everything and I feel sure many items were gifts from fans over the years. I know for sure, # 1080 was from Joan Barr and Joan Yeend and two others from Australia...friend of mine over the years. Joan Y was tuning in last night to see it. Glad the four leggers will get a nice gift....wonder now, what will become of her beautiful home?
Speaking of homes - has anyone checked out her Beverly Hills home on line which is up for sale? I looked at the photos a few weeks ago and was really surprised to see how 'un-Doris' it now is. Very cold and sterile looking, not the colorful, friendly atmosphere that radiated from each room when Doris lived there. As someone said, you would expect Morticia to pop out. Glad I lived there with her in the good old days - sweet memories...have a great week and stay well everyone!
Mary Anne

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Michael for the link.

I am so pleased to know the auction was such a success in raising a good deal of money for the Doris Day Animal Foundation. Imagine the number of animals that will benefit from the auction.

I wondered how much money Doris' grandfather's Baker's rack generated.

The comments about Doris' Beverly Hills home are interesting. I understand Doris loved the garden more than the house. I also recall a story about Doris wanting to buy a $600.00 painting while she lived there and Marty said they couldn't afford it. During this time Doris worked non-stop and had little time to enjoy her home.

Thanks Mary Anne for your valuable insights on Doris's life. They are truly appreciated.

I am truly thankful that the auction was a great success especially during this worldwide health crisis.

Be well everyone. 🌈
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I too am pleased the action did well for the animals.

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

I was just wondering if Ray Romano is Melcher's illegitimate son. Anyone know? Romano worked with a Rosenthal in the making of "Everyone like Raymond", and with those accents- well, they sound like Rose Marie!
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Lol do you see a resmeblence Gerard?

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

From The Weekly News archives: Chats with the stars from Hollywood, like Doris Day, to TV soap, Coronation Street

From 1955, a fascinating interview with Hollywood legend Doris Day. in London for filming of The Man Who Knew Too Much.
The last two years have been thrilling ones for Doris Day. And the results of the hard work she has been doing, and the fascinating places she has been visiting, all add up to new thrills and enjoyment for the millions who vote her “Queen Of Song.”

She is now just finishing work on The Man Who Knew Too Much, a Hitchcock thriller which may blaze a new trail for Doris.

Hitch told me why he teamed Doris up with James Stewart for his latest suspense epic.

“I saw her years ago in Storm Warning, in which she appeared with Ginger Rogers,” he said. “It was a dramatic role, quite unlike anything she had done up to that time.

“I noted her down as a girl with a future – if she wanted to take it up – as a dramatic actress.

“In The Man Who Knew Too Much she plays the part of a distraught mother – wife of a doctor (James Stewart) – who is searching for her kidnapped son.

“Singing is down to a minimum. She just has to sing a lullaby in the hope that the boy may hear her.
Continue reading: https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/from-the- ... on-street/
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Loved the article. Thanks for posting it, Bryan.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Facinating read Bryan - thanks, also enjoyed reading the Joan Collins and Pat Pheonix interviews.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Just came across a video on Doris Day’s Favourite Beauty Products That Are Still Available Today.

Listed:

Vaseline put on weekly

Moondrop Lipstick by Revelon

Favourite Perfumes:

Shalimar
Sophia by Coty
L’Air du Temps -Nina Rocco
Youth Dew - Estée Laude
Miss Dior

Lustre Cream Shampoo and Lux Soap we’re both Doris Day Show sponsees.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Nice find, Johnny. I recall a brief interview with Kym Karath, in which she commented about how she loved the smell of Doris's perfume when filming "The Thrill of It All."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Musiclover.

Perhaps someone will be able to post the video. It was posted in n June 16-20 by Laura Jane Atelier.
Johnny

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Speaking of Doris's Perfumes - here is a blog I wrote awhile ago about a very 'special' to me perfume she wore...you can check it out in this blog
www.hawthornepub.com/blog/that-special- ... -the-star/
Still have an empty bottle of it and there is still a 'hint' of her fragrance - yummmmm!

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Thanks for sharing that cute story, Mary Anne.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I recall Doris saying in her autobiography that her favourite fragrance was White Shoulders. She said she was asked about this by friends who started wearing it. She decided that in the future she would not tell people the names of her fragrances.

I believe White Shoulders is still on the market.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Johnny, White Shoulders is indeed still on the market. I wear it frequently, but didn't know that it was a favorite of Doris's, too.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Romance On The High Seas is now available on BLU RAY from the Warner Archive Collection.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Romance- ... ay/269768/

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Michael!

The commentary on Romance on the High Seas‘ Blu-Ray cinematography and visual interior shots , “Romance on the High Seas May be the most consistently stunning
Catalog title I’ve seen this year” is really thought provoking.

I have always focused on this film as Doris Day’s impressive debut in the film industry and the sequence of events preceding it.

I had not given much thought to the number of interior shots. It is with great anticipation and interest I look forward to seeing the Blu-Ray edition.

The legacy of Romance on the High Seas and Doris Day singing It’s Magic is unadulterated joy.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Take a look at this clip and see how crisp, bright and colorful this print is. It's dazzling.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Absolutely Perfect! Great News. Romance On The High Seas can be further appreciated. It is truly a delightful film.

I will purchase the Blu-ray edition right away.
On Amazon it listed 13 Doris Day Blu-Ray films.
I would like to see all her 39 films in the Blue-Ray format and made available in a collection.

Presently the only film of Doris’s I do not have is Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? It does not seem to be available on DVD.

Thank you Michael.
Johnny