Chatting about Doris...

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
jmichael
Honorary Member

Re: Chatting about Doris...

Unread post by jmichael »

He had a wonderful, full life and he was the ideal collaborator to tell Doris' life story. She and Terry chose wisely.

RIP, Mr. Hotchner.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

RIP Hotch. He was a very nice man and I was living with Doris at the time he would come to her home. They would go out to the guest house in her back yard and spend several hours at each session. He lived a nice long life ...bet they are enjoying a nice time in heaven 🥰.
Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Bryan, thank you for the great article on A.E. Hotchner’s passing at the impressive age of 102.

Doris chose wisely in selecting him to write Doris Day:Her Own Story. The book is beautifully written and a very satisfying read.
There is a sense of warmth and respect in his writing.

One of my favourite parts of the book are the stories from her family, friends and co-stars that offer genuine insights into Doris’ character. Bob Hope stated that of all the people he had worked with over 50 years, he rated Doris Day and Judy Garland at the top of the list as performers with natural talent.

Doris’ mother Alma Kappelhoff gave valuable insights into the abuse Doris encountered from her first husband, Al Jordan.

James Cagney said Doris “Doris is the epitome of guilelessness...As an actress, she perfectly
Illustrates my definition of good acting.”

In the appendix of the book, Hotchner included Doris’ thoughts on makeup, clothing and jewellery. He writes about Doris’ love of dogs and the importance she gives them.The thoughtful detail in the book really gives deep insights into Doris’ life.

A.E. Hotchner lived an amazing and accomplished life . May he rest in love.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Re: - Angela Lansbury tribute- thanks for sharing Howard, lovely to read.

Re: -Hotch- he did have a great long life -RIP.

Re:- The DD book- I loaned my hard back 1986 [reissue] to a friend battling cancer a few years ago- will ask at some stage but don't want to burden them about a book - so I was lucky enough to order a paper back copy recently on-line. I just adore this book, I have said before, it has been a self-help book for me and has been part of my evolution as a human being and as a survivor, thinker, positive thinker.

I even love the parts in the book where things get a little frayed- e.g. Kirk Douglas comments and DD's reaction. It is real!

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Bernie Kopell interview

Unread post by Musiclover »

Just came across the text of a long interview with Bernie Kopell, who talked about some memories of working with Doris and remaining friends with her after her TV show. It can be found on “classicshowbiz.blogspot.com bernie kopell part three.” The portion in which he talked about Doris is about 3/4 of the way down the page.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Good read - thanks, Judy!
Kliph Nesteroff: Another comedy film you're in was Carl Reiner's first screenplay - The Thrill of it All.

Bernie Kopell: That was my first time working with Doris Day. I was concerned that she was pissed off with me. She played this homemaker whose children are ranting and raving about this brand of soap. Her husband was played by James Garner. They're at a party, like a baby shower, for a character played by Arlene Francis. The Doris Day character is rhapsodizing about the soap. The father of the pregnant lady is the CEO of the soap and he makes Doris Day the spokesperson. I played a floor manager on the set of the commercial and Doris Day plays this amateur and she's holding the box of soap upside down.

My character is yelling at her and kind of bullying her a bit, but at one point she gave me an unfriendly stare while we were doing the scene. Not at my character, but at me. And I thought, "Uh oh, I've annoyed this lady I've idolized for years." But then years later I did her TV show and she didn't remember any of that and it was fine. And she was so nice and so sweet. Her attitude on set was that of a hostess, making certain all her guests were comfortable and happy. A delight. The first episode of The Doris Day Show I played a hijacker and then I played a regular character, a chef named Pallucci.

I was on it several times for the next three years. I ended up playing her Uncle Kappelhoff, an art forger. We had intimate, lovely scenes. A few years ago when her son Terry Melcher died my phone rang. I heard, "Uncle Kappelhoff?" I said, "Is this... is this Doris Day?" It was. And she was so depressed because her only son had passed away. Ever since then we would talk on the phone. To this day we talk on the phone every couple of months. I call her or she calls me. That first phone call happened shortly before Christmas when her songs were being played on the radio and making people happy all over the world, but the human being behind those songs was deeply depressed. There was a great separation between the public persona and the actual human being. I don't know, there's some kind of great lesson in that."
http://classicshowbiz.blogspot.com/2016 ... rt_22.html
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

webmaster

I thought people might find this interesting - he was such an essential part of the Doris & Rock partnership, wasn't he?

Tony Randall would have been 100 years old this month
The TV sitcom legend (Feb. 26, 1920–May 17, 2004) was best known as the fussy Felix Unger on "The Odd Couple," based on the Neil Simon play and movie. Randall's Felix, who came to life opposite Jack Klugman's sloppy Oscar Madison, was a memorable character, with his signature honking during his allergy attacks.

With Doris Day on the set of Pillow Talk, 1959.

But Randall had a long career outside his signature role. As a longtime TV and movie actor, he played strong supporting roles in romantic comedies in the 1960s such as "Pillow Talk" with Rock Hudson and Doris Day. Later in his career, he was a frequent and popular guest on David Letterman and Conan O'Brien's talk shows.

In the clips below, we remember Tony Randall's best performances in honor of his 100th birthday.
(Includes the three films (YouTube trailers) with Doris & Rock,)
READ MORE: http://www.legacy.com/news/celebrity-de ... -this-year

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Bryan for posting this beautiful tribute piece to Tony Randall. I had forgotten many of his films other than with Doris Day and Rock Hudson and the television show The Odd Couple.

Tony's sophisticated humour and intelligence seemed to permeate all his roles in films and television. He was the perfect foil and brightened countless scenes in all his films.
Johnny

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi all,

Still around, but no new discoveries that are worth to mention.
You've probably have seen this one. A little look in Doris Day world, sad to see it go. But a wonderful world it was.

P

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Welcome Back Peter! We missed you. You are an important member of this Doris Day Forum. You have shared so many joyful and interesting photos of Doris with us.

Thank you for posting this wonderful video of Doris Day's gorgeous home.

Her home reflects Doris' warm ànd welcoming personality and style. I would define it as classic elegance and comfort.

It makes me very happy to know Doris lived there for almost forty years surrounded by her beloved animals and nature.
Johnny

webmaster

Yes, Peter, you have been missed. I don't know if you saw the comment I left on the banners section recently:
I think we're all still coming to terms with losing Doris but time is a great healer as they say. Let's try and get through it together. I'm not focused on closing the forum right now - apart from all the logical reasons that I had, I realised after that I was also very upset - so let's see how it works out.
I suspect my previous comments about closing down the forum may have put you and others off so I hope that you will continue to post more of the amazing photos you used to. We live in uncertain times and right now I'm just focused on living with that uncertainty.

Thanks for all you've done anyway.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Peter,

Nice to hear from you.

Thank you for posting the video. It felt surreal to take a virtual tour of her home after seeing it only from a distance in the past. It was almost too much to absorb in one viewing.

Welcome back,
Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I keep thinking about the magnificent red piano given by Terry to Doris in the tour of Doris' home. If I could make a wish, I would want it. I also love the brass elephant planter Rock gave Doris.

I am wondering if any of the DD Forum members have a favourite item from Doris' home to make a wish on.

The reality of the situation is that I plan to buy the auction catalogue as an item keepsake.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Johnny, what an interesting question.

I’m probably in the minority because I’m not a collector. Her movies, her music, her series - yes, I have all or nearly all of that. But I don’t care much about memorabilia like film posters, lobby cards or photos. As for the personal items in the estate sale, I’d rather they went to fans who appreciate them more than I do.

I’m more attached to her work than her personal life.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Michael! I like your thoughtful perspective.

From the time I was a child I gravitated to Doris’ spiritual radiance on screen. I was too young to understand the thoughts and feelings about her music and films. I just knew it felt special.

I did understand my family felt the same way about Doris, especially my father.

When I “toured” Doris’ home I saw the soft colours, abundant light, stuffed animals , nature surrounding it and I thought it reflected Doris’ spirit and values. I did not see anything ostentatious. It is warm and comfortable and so welcoming.

I am a sentimental person by nature. Perhaps having a personal item from Doris’ home might give me the feeling of her remaining close.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Johnny,

I feel a strong emotional connection to her through her recordings and her films. You've mentioned before that her emotional intelligence is something you responded to and I understand that completely. She was the first movie star who radiated something magical on the screen for me. There was no else like her.

Michael
Michael H

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Me too and she was everything perfect about the American ideal - she was and is perfection to me. :wink:

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Just got word that the Cincinnati Jazz Festival 'coming up' on Sunday, March 22nd to honor Doris and a couple others has been postponed due to the corona virus....not sure when it will be scheduled at this time, but it will take place sometime in the future.

On another note, Keith Angstadt of www.mybnr.com and I will be interviewing Les Brown, Jr., this afternoon for a special show coming up on Monday, March 30th @ 3pm EST, and repeated on Tuesday, March 31st @ 5am & 9am EST. We will be chatting with him about his awesome CD/LP DORIS DAY /With Love....I bought the LP which is really nice to have - love the photo of Doris on both CD & LP...Will be a real sentimental journey for us to chat with Les.

Put a call into Julien Auction to find out if the big DD Auction will still take place - waiting for an answer before I head west....let's all pray that this corona virus gets eliminated quickly and people heal from it asap. Much to pray about these days!!!!
"The BEST is yet to come."

jmichael
Honorary Member

No official announcement about the LA events yet but in view of yesterday's news, I suspect they will be canceled. We just have to take a wait and see approach, but non-essential air travel is questionable at this point.

Julien's has posted all of the 1,190 items up for sale. You can view them here.

https://www.julienslive.com/m/view-auct ... log/id/327

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you so much Michael for posting the Juliens's link for the sale of 1, 190 items.

I am really impressed with the variety of items and that there may be many items that are affordable for Doris' fans. For example there are Doris Day Animal Foundation wristbands starting at bids of $25.00.

I was surprised by some of the estimates on some items. The elephant Jardiniere gifted to Doris by Rock Hudson has an estimate of $600. to $800. with two bids up to $$700.

Looking at these items made me wonder about the possibility of a Doris Day Museum that could generate ongoing funds for the Doris Day Animal Foundation.

Regardless, all these sale items will garner a substantial amount of money to help Doris' animals. This is a comforting thought.
Johnny

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

All of the items are really lovely. It is going to a very special and emotional auction that is for sure. I won't be able to go to LA for it but I will be watching online. I hope you all get to experience it too.
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

RobertOClare

Unread post by RobertOClare »

Peter,

Many thanks for posting the link to the Julien's Auction video about Doris' home at 'Overlook'. I too found it very moving to see the inside of her home in such detail. Also to fully appreciate the amazing view she had looking down over Carmel Valley. Like her, I am an 'outdoors' person and can really share the delight she must have felt every morning when she went out on her terrace.

If you want to spend more time looking at the details of her home you can change the playback speed of the video under 'Settings' at the bottom of the screen. I chose .50 of normal speed, but .25 is also available.

I also found this link to a TV programme where some of the items from the auction are being displayed and discussed. In particular the camera spends a long time on the beautiful ivory dress she wore to the Oscars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d7a4rY3d3I

I'm still waiting and hoping for good news about the events in LA, but it's not looking good.

Robert
"If you haven't fallen in love with Doris Day, there's something wrong with your heart"

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi all,

As you all probably know the Julians catalogue is online now:
https://www.julienslive.com/m/view-auct ... log/id/327

P

RobertOClare

Unread post by RobertOClare »

Hi everyone,
I just received this message from DDAF

"It is with great reluctance that we send this email, however given rapidly expanding health and travel advisories, we know you have been awaiting news about the auction and tribute to Doris. We have been diligently following the increasing restrictions for the last two weeks. California Governor Newsom has now called for the cancellation of all non-essential gatherings of 250 people or more and social distancing of 6 feet between people at all gatherings statewide, and Los Angeles Mayor Garcetti reduced that number to no more than 50 people. Therefore, we have no choice but to cancel all of the events leading up to the auction of Doris’ estate.

Many of you have been wondering if the auction itself would proceed as planned, and after much deliberation and in consultation with Julien’s Auctions, we have decided to go ahead with online and phone bidding. The catalogs have been shipped and online bidding is already underway. Look at it this way: If you’re hunkered down at home, what better way to pass the time than perusing the Doris Day online catalog and bidding for something that was special to her? You must register in advance to bid, so please follow the instructions here. And remember, all proceeds support the Doris Day Animal Foundation, so you’ll be helping the precious animals that Doris loved so dearly.

We know how much you were looking forward to gathering for this very special celebration of Doris’ life and career, and it’s certainly disappointing for all of us to call off the in-person events. However, our top priority must be to keep everyone safe and healthy, and we appreciate your understanding and support. While it’s too soon to plan our next steps, we promise we will keep you posted after the current health dangers subside and our options are clearer.

In the meantime, please heed the health advisories and try to take inspiration from Doris’ ever-positive spirit.

Take good care,

The DDAF Team"

I knew yesterday I wouldn't be able to go after the announcement about the travel ban from Ireland to the USA, so was already prepared to a certain extent. I'm really sorry for all those who spent so much time arranging everything. It is truly a cruel twist of fate. Let's hope the auction is still a great success and that something can be rearranged at a later date when all of this is over.

Robert
"If you haven't fallen in love with Doris Day, there's something wrong with your heart"

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Robert for posting the update on the auction. It is disappointing to know all the celebrations around the auction have been canceled but necessary.

I plan to register online for the auction. I would like to feel part of this event and support Doris’ love for animals.

It is comforting to know we can still celebrate Doris’ life, work and love for animals through this forum.

When this worldwide health crisis passes, and it will, there will be more opportunities for group celebrations.

Wishing everyone good health. Stay well.
Johnny