Chatting about Doris...

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Re: Chatting about Doris...

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Yes, I also woke up to the news about the cancellation of the DDAF celebration - was really looking forward to attending and catching up with many people - but we must be safe....hopefully, everyone stays well....we are living in strange times these days...take care - QUe sera, sera!!!!

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I agree - we live in strange times with so much confusion and uncertainty.

The cancellation is indeed disappointing but it was the responsible thing to do. I feel for everyone who comes down with this virus and their loved ones too. The fans will hopefully find a way to gather at some point in the future to share their feelings and celebrate her life, her work and her advocacy for the animals. Her star still shines brighter than most although she is no longer with us.

Stay healthy everyone.
Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Well said Michael.

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Not surprising. We've just gone into lockdown in the UK. We all have to stay indoors unless going out for essential food or medicine. All non-essential shops/theatres/pubs/cinemas/restaurants/cafes, and coffee shops are closed. Only two people allowed to meet up in public. This is my third week of not going out and at least 12 more to go - some say it could last a year!

London theatre land:

Here's a nice screensaver, download if you like it - both images are larger than shown.

Good luck everyone, stay safe. x
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

jmichael
Honorary Member

We're under lock down too. I live in the Kansas City metro where the number of cases is starting to rise quickly. We just learned that we know the family of the first person who died in our area. That news was hard to take.

Has anyone been bidding on Doris items online?

Stay safe everyone.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Doris' film Move Over Darling is on TCM this afternoon - Sunday, March 29th at 3:45 Eastern time.
Move Over Darling is one of my favourite films that brightens my spirit every time. It is a perfect film for these worrying times where each one of us on our planet must live in a bubble of protection.

Take good care everyone.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Just started watching on TCM the 1954 film noir Crime Wave which opened with a gas station being robbed while Doris Day is singing S' Wonderful. The gas station attendant is joyfully talking about Doris Day singing this song until the robbers hit him over the head.

Another surprise in this film is Gene Nelson who has recently been released from prison and is trying to stay on the right path.

Sterling Hayden plays the detective who is is trying to solve the killing of a policeman.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Michael, the local newspaper (Carmel Pine Cone) reported Friday that Julien's has received more than 80,000 bids on Doris's items so far.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Judy, that's encouraging news about the auction. Thank you.

I've been watching Julien's video over and over because seeing the inside of Overlook brightens my spirits in these dark times. I love all of the windows, skylights and high vaulted ceilings which bring the natural light into her home. It's spacious and very open and yet warm and homey too. Very, very Doris. You can feel her presence in every detail. Finally, after years of living under Marty's controlling oversight, she was free to create the home of her dreams. This makes me very happy.

Stay safe everyone.

Michael
Michael H

sihmonSELV

Unread post by sihmonSELV »

Johnny wrote:
29 Mar 2020, 10:23
Just started watching on TCM the 1954 film noir Crime Wave which opened with a gas station being robbed while Doris Day is singing S' Wonderful. The gas station attendant is joyfully talking about Doris Day singing this song until the robbers hit him over the head.

Another surprise in this film is Gene Nelson who has recently been released from prison and is trying to stay on the right path.

Sterling Hayden plays the detective who is is trying to solve the killing of a policeman.
That's an interesting piece of information, Johnny, thank you! I didn't know that Doris Day's recording of "'S Wonderful" had been used like this. Seeing as "Crime Wave" was also made by Warner Bros., it stands to reason that the recording they used must have been the one from "Starlift". It was issued on disc in 2014 in the Real Gone Music collection "Music, Movies & Memories".

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Additional note on Crime Wave:

According to TCM Noir Alley host Eddie Muller:

Warner Bros. was not impressed with Crime Wave which was filmed in Los Angeles in 1952 and it was held back until for release until January 12, 1954 . It was originally titled The City is Dark.

I don't know if this makes any difference in the Doris Day recording used. Since Starlift was released on December 14, 1951, it appears that this is the recording used.

I was wondering about the date Doris recorded S' Wonderful.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Johnny, my notes show 2 different recording dates for "S' Wonderful", one in January 1950 and the other in May 1951. I don't which one was used in "Crime Wave."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Musiclover!

S' Wonderful certainly has been recorded by many artists since it's release in 1927. It has been heard in the films An American in Paris, Funny Face, Starlift, Kiss Me Stupid and recently in Eat, Pray, Love.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

New video tour of the estate auction.

https://youtu.be/HkwVE9BdW6s

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks so much Michael for posting this virtual exhibition of Doris Day auction items. There are so many interesting pieces of information.

I was impressed by Doris’ grandfather’s white bakery rack that Doris placed bread on as a young girl when she worked in his store. She kep it in each of her homes and used it for her sweaters.

It was mentioned that With Six You Get Eggroll was Doris’ favourite film. I always thought it was Calamity Jane.

I am considering bidding on the smaller items or a picture due to shipping charges that may prove prohibitive. I love the oak desk that Terry gave Doris.

I think the auction will be really successful and raise a good deal of money to help The Doris Day Animal Foundation.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

I created this video to honor the actors who played Doris’s children in her films and television series. It was supposed to be part of the Fan Event that was scheduled for tonight at Julien’s Auction Gallery. Because we weren’t able to view it together as a group, I felt it would be appropriate to share it online.

My sincere thanks goes to Scott Dreier for giving me this opportunity and for his expert guidance throughout the creative process.

I have a second video that I will post in a few days.

Michael

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pacO1 ... yGK7Epi8O9
Michael H

webmaster

Thanks for that, Michael. You might want to start a new topic and put the other video there as well.

I think I my have turned off new topics but it is now on again so please feel free to use it, folks. However, if it's just a one-off post please use this forum.

Thanks.

scooter
New Kid on the Block

Unread post by scooter »

Lovely video Michael. You captured the essence of what made her so special to so many of us- to the extent that I even teared up over "Ill see You in my Dreams". Cant wait to see your next one..no pressure mate...lol cheers Scott

webmaster

Looking forward to watching it, Michael.

Good to hear from you, scooter! 8)

jmichael
Honorary Member

scooter wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 23:54
Lovely video Michael. You captured the essence of what made her so special to so many of us- to the extent that I even teared up over "Ill see You in my Dreams". Cant wait to see your next one..no pressure mate...lol cheers Scott
Scott, thank you for your thoughtful reply. I really appreciate it.

You take care.

Michael
Michael H

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Happy Birthday dear Doris - remembering all the fun times with you. Just wanted to share this article that just came out about my 'sentimental journey.'

https://manchesterinklink.com/the-days- ... l-journey/

I thank God for the memories!!! xo

Mary Anne

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you so much Mary Anne for posting the article: The Days of Doris: Mary Anne Barothy' s
Sentimental Journey. It is a true pleasure to read especially on Doris' birthday.

I want to thank you as well for writing your joyful book Day at a Time which illustrates your admiration and respect for Doris. It was a pleasure to read.

I have so much admiration for people who pursue and commit to their dreams . It is clear that you are thankful for your adventurous fulfilling life.

In this article I loved the youthful spirit of adventure that opened the door to meeting Doris.

I have always felt that Doris Day was an extended member of my family growing up. My dad played her albums all the time and her music filled out home. We never missed going to see a Doris Day movie when it came to town.

I loved the photo of Barbara Stanwyck signing your cast. Like Doris, Barbara was authentic and kind.

This year on Doris' birthday, I like to think she is singing and laughing with a choir of angels.

This Doris Day Forum is a community that shares the joy that Doris exemplified though her life, in her music and films and especially in her advocacy with animals.

Doris' legacy is the spirit of kindness and authenticity shared with us all.

Happy Birthday Doris! 🌼🌼🌼🌼🌷🌷🌷🌷
Johnny

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Just got a Google Alert with these fabulous never-before-seen photos of Doris from the early days - love them:

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/dori ... 234570620/

Enjoy!!!!

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

All these new photos are a beautiful surprise and a perfect gift from Variety to receive on Doris Day's birthday. What a celebration!

I love all the photos of Doris in her Beverly Hills home, especially the photos of Doris in the kitchen and in the garden.

The photo of Doris' first home in Burbank California
is impressive.

Thank you so much.
Johnny

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo »

Tomorrow marks the first day of the Julien's Auctions of "Property From The Estate of DORIS DAY. I received the print catalog and was amazed at the quality of the book, which is about 2 inches thick, and measures 8 3/4" by 11 1/4". The catalog contains 735 pages, and has many Doris Day photos I had never seen before. The book costs $100 plus $25 shipping, but it is well worth the price. There are so many treasures in the auction. Some of the items caught my attention. These include two Doris Day's driver licenses. One is from 29 July 1971 and the other from 11 September 1973. The estimated value is $1,000 to $2,000 each. Another lot consists of 20 Doris Day Rare Color Snapshots. The original photos measure 5 X 3 1/2 inches and are valued at $100 to $200. The photos were taken in and around the beach in Carmel and show Doris with Biggest. There are many 78 acetate records and her personal collection of her albums. Being a Doris Day record collector one item which caught my attention is a 12 inch 78 rpm acetate record of "It's Magic" with a Warner Bros Picture Inc. label. The lot is #719 on page 458 and is described as "a 1947 pre-recorded version of the Oscar-nominated song from the star's first movie." I wish I could bid on the items, but it is too costly. Besides the winning bid price, there is a 25 percent buyer's premium and 3 percent on line bidding fee per lot. Hopefully the catalogs might be offered after the auction for a reduced price. It is a must have item which will make ours a Happy Day, Texas Gonzalo