Elton John and Doris Day?

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
howard
Special Contributer

Elton John and Doris Day?

Unread post by howard » 14 Mar 2019, 16:31

An unlikely pair, you say? Well, here's an interesting clip from a 1973 interview with the Rocket Man. It appeared in the January 20, 1973 issue of the New Musical Express magazine:

Interviewer: I noticed that on the piano at Carnegie Hall you had a picture of Doris Day. Was there any significance in this?

Elton: Not really. Legs Larry Smith and I went out in Montreal and went to Woolworths and found the most amazing junk you could find, I mean it had been there for years, it was all dusty, and we found a great picture of Elvis Presley and a great picture of Doris Day so we decided to buy it and Legs just stuck it on the piano one night and it`s been there ever since.
It`s been the sort of mascot for the tour.

Interviewer: Does she know anything about it?

Elton: I don`t think so. She keeps me company up there!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Re: Elton John and Doris Day?

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 15 Mar 2019, 05:15

Hi Howard,

That's a funny story, thanks for sharing!!!

P

jmichael
Honorary Member

Re: Elton John and Doris Day?

Unread post by jmichael » 16 Mar 2019, 06:37

Howard,

You've provided the answer to a question I've had for several decades.

The first time I saw Elton John in concert was in 1973 and miraculously I got front row seats. We were seated directly in front of him, just a few feet away from his piano. Lo and behold, a framed photo of Doris Day sat on top of his piano. At the time, I assumed he was a fan and I've wondered all these years what the connection was because he didn't explain it during the show. I'm a bit disappointed to learn it was a random choice but at least the mystery has finally been solved.

You are an ace Doris Day detective, my friend.

Hugs,
Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."