Sue Raney's Doris Day tribute album

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
dorisdayicon
Honorary Member

Sue Raney's Doris Day tribute album

Unread post by dorisdayicon » 16 Jul 2007, 18:33

I came across this and thought it would be interesting to all.

CD: Sue Raney
Sue Raney, Heart's Desire: A Tribute To Doris Day (Fresh Sound).
Sue Raney is hardly without a following, but it is a puzzle why a singer of her gifts never achieved widespread fame. For far too long, general audiences have been unaware of Raney's sublime work. Happily, EMI recently reissued All By Myself, one of her early Capitol albums. She seldom makes new recordings, and most of her reissued albums are on CDs that are hard to find except as imports. Since the death of Albert Marx and the end of his Discovery label, American companies have missed the boat on this exemplary artist. Raney's new Doris Day tribute is one of the best albums of her career. The Spanish label Fresh Sound recorded it last fall in Los Angeles with a full orchestra arranged and conducted by Alan Broadbent.

Day was in the last wave of quality popular singers blessed with good material, and Raney makes the most of "Secret Love," "Love Me Or Leave Me" and twelve other songs. A singer who has achieved technical perfection that encompasses tonal accuracy and range into the stratosphere, she provides a moment of thrilling vocalese when she parallels the lead trumpet in an interlude on "Sentimental Journey." For the most part, however, she just sings the songs, and sings them superlatively. Her treatment of "Shanghai" ("I'm just around the corner in a phone booth....") is a joy. But then, so is the entire CD. Broadbent's arrangements perfectly complement Raney. There are succinct solos by Broadbent at the piano, Carmen Fanzone (Raney's husband) on flugelhorn and saxophonists Bob Sheppard and Gary Foster. I was unaware that Doris Day had sung Broadbent's and Dave Frishberg's "Heart's Desire," a modern ballad that equals the best of the great American song book. Raney's version is likely to steal your heart.

To hear and see Raney as guest vocalist with a latterday Stan Kenton band, go here for "Let There Be Love" and "I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good." There is nothing wrong with your computer; the clip is black and white.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M » 16 Jul 2007, 20:43

Wow. I haven't heard Sue Raney in years. I'll have to get that album. Thanks Velda!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 16 Jul 2007, 20:48

Did Doris sing 'Heart's Desire' - I don't think so/???? I know Rosemary Clooney did it and very lovely too in her concorde years.

dorisdayicon
Honorary Member

Unread post by dorisdayicon » 16 Jul 2007, 23:25

Let's see who is the first DD fan who knows for sure whether Doris recorded "Heart's Desire". I have never heard Doris sing this song.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M » 16 Jul 2007, 23:46

I'm 99% sure that she never recorded it. Garry Mcgee's book, "Sentimental Journey" has a pretty thorough listing of her released and unreleased (to date) tracks, including those she sang on Doris Day's Best Friends, and it doesn't list it either. It could be a song Sue chose because of how she feels about Doris, rather than because Doris recorded it. I'm sure the liner notes will tell.

BTW, Velda, I really need to thank you for posting this today, as when I went online to research the album, I found that Sue will be performing these songs with the Broadbent Trio in concert here in LA at the end of this month, as well as having a wine & cheese reception to celebrate the new cd. I am definitely going.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Heart's Desire

Unread post by Jas1 » 17 Jul 2007, 04:43

JohnM, I agree with you, I think it was probably included as a testiment to how the singer feels about Doris and her talents. It is just another example though of what may/ could have been, there were so many fabulous songs Doris never recorded, but hey, we do have a magnificent back catalogue!

In the old Doris Day Society, there used to be a members page where people could suggest songs they would love Doris to record if she got back into the studio, maybe this would be an interesting post, to list the tracks, and give the album/cd a title too? I will have to work on 'TWO[2]-DAY' - an album of duets with the wonderful Doris Day and 'Night & Day' [an album of contrasting up day tunes and sexy nightime treats]; and 'Jazz on a summer "Day"' - [where Liz Smith reviewing will state] -
'Doris has produced amazing renditions of the great jazz standards in an album that enchants and swings effortlessly. Accompanied by a jazz trio with the occasional saxophone solo of Courtney Pine, Miss Day[as distinctlively Doris as ever and sounding amazing by the way] relishes in this recording Daylight'.