Music - Music - Music

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
dayniac
Honorary Member

Music - Music - Music

Unread post by dayniac »

We all enjoy her music...it gets us through our day sometimes. Here is a collection of some of the sheet music that was produced during her prolific music career.
There is music from the US, UK, Australia, Denmark, Italy and even Japan - which accounts for the different versions of the same song.
Hope you enjoy !!

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

AWESOME job, Toni!! Thanks! 8)

The last cover ("You're My Thrill") is so beautiful...
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Spectacular!

Unread post by Ralph »

Wow, it just goes on and on!!! I certainly hope that Doris visits this site to see all the "stuff" we have on her. What a spectacular career. Most people only know about her film career, but I always point out that she had two full-time careers: music and films.

That is an incredible post, Dayniac. Thanks.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

I really like the picture on Through the Eyes of Love and on Mister Tap Toe for a younger look.
As I'm looking over the post I see I had a couple of duplicates. I was getting rather cross-eyed !! But it was fun - glad you enjoyed it !

And you are so right - she had 2 full time careers going on at the same time. So amazing !

Thanks -

Toni :)
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Heatherlicious

Unread post by Heatherlicious »

OMG Toni, that is fabulous! Look at all her recordings!!!! Thanks for putting that together and sharing! :D
H E A T H E R | Graphics

lloyd

Unread post by lloyd »

Yes, thanks so much for sharing this with us. I can imagine how many hours you spent putting it together. A labor of love, right? It's something that we all have in common. There must be a DD gene or something, huh? We've all got it! I did something similar with all her video covers and her albums. I'll find those pictures and post them soon.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Wow Toni, what a wonderful and marvellous image of the sheet music you put together, fabulous !
Here are some Dutch ones. Thank you for put it together, thank you for sharing.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Toni, thanks so much for this incredbile collection of sheet music. I am in awe of your collection and the time it must have taken to display these on the forum. I love Doris but unlike you, Tanja, or Lloyd, I've never gotten into collecting memorabilia. My collection stops at DVD's, CD's & books.

Hats off to you. This is a stunning collection.

Michael H

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Unread post by Ralph »

jmichael wrote:Toni, thanks so much for this incredbile collection of sheet music. I am in awe of your collection and the time it must have taken to display these on the forum. I love Doris but unlike you, Tanja, or Lloyd, I've never gotten into collecting memorabilia. My collection stops at DVD's, CD's & books.

Hats off to you. This is a stunning collection.

Michael H

And to be honest about it, her display is not complete, there are many more that I remember seeing in music stores. I was desperately looking for "Blame My Absent-minded Heart," that beautiful ballad from "It's A Great Feeling." Why that was not nominated for the best song Oscar is beyond me! But the display does hint at the vastness of Doris' output.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Puck -- I love that Que Sera cover that you posted --- great picture !!

Lloyd -- yes - a labor of love -- If theres a DD gene out there - I've got it !!

Glad you enjoyed it.

Renny

Unread post by Renny »

Speaking of music, does anyone remember an album released by Harmony Records (an offshoot of Columbia) back in the late '60s called "Doris Day Sings Her Great Movie Hits." I really liked the album and could identify each selection from a Doris Day film with the exception of one, "What Every Girl Should Know." I have seen every DD film numerous times and know that "What Every Girl Should Know" was not in any Doris Day film.

Let's fast forward to 1995 when the Bear Family released its second entry, "Secret Love." In that collection is the first recording Doris sang of "What Every Girl Should Know." It was recorded during the same session as some songs from "Lucky Me." Does anyone if " What Every Girl Should Know" was originally written for "Lucky Me?" Or is it pure coincidence that it was recorded at the same time?
I'd enjoy going out with you, Mr. Beasley, if I just didn't find you so personally distasteful....

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Separate Project

Unread post by Ralph »

Renny:

Robert Wells and David Holt wrote "What Every Girl Should Know" but it was not planned for "Lucky Me." The entire score for "Lucky" was written by the same men who wrote "Calamity Jane," Sammy Fain and Paul Francis Webster.

Probably what happened is that Doris recorded "What...Know" because she had the studio time and also working on a commercial album during preparation for the movie.

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

Unread post by Barb_DDD »

Renny,
yes, I have that record. At the time, there were several songs that I didn't know where they came from. I used to play it a lot. But then, I played all of her records a lot.
Just something interesting, "What Every Girl Should Know" was the title of the short film about the cotton fabric. It was in the extras for Glass
Botton Boat.
Barb

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Album by that name - the US and UK release.

lloyd

Unread post by lloyd »

Here's a few more pieces of sheet music ......

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Renny wrote:Speaking of music, does anyone remember an album released by Harmony Records (an offshoot of Columbia) back in the late '60s called "Doris Day Sings Her Great Movie Hits." I really liked the album and could identify each selection from a Doris Day film with the exception of one, "What Every Girl Should Know." I have seen every DD film numerous times and know that "What Every Girl Should Know" was not in any Doris Day film.
Renny, I firmly believe that was a mistake. Harmony was the budget end of Columbia, and did things fast and cheap. I think they were supposed to put "What Does A Woman Do?" (from Midnight Lace) on the album, not "What Every Girl Should Know."

joe t.

What???

Unread post by joe t. »

Dayniac,

"A Purple Cow" I knew of.

But "A Load of Hay"??? LOL!

Glad I never heard that one!!

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

joe t, actually "A Load of Hay" is a sweet little song, MUCH better than "A Purple Cow." Don't let the title fool you. It's kind of akin to "I Love the Way You Say Goodnight."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Different album covers.

Unread post by Jas1 »

Very interesting the different album covers for US & UK 'What Every Girl should know' - above; always liked the US release [which is what I have] but think I prefer the UK release as above, never seen that before; very interesting, we have discussed film posters and how they differ from country to country, and the same for the titles, but not album covers?

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I've often wondered why they change covers for different markets. I just don't get it.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

I don't get it either, but I do like it, from a collector's standpoint. Nice to see so much variety.

Jas1, I love the US version of the WEGSK cover, but I prefer the UK one, too.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

The UK cover is one of my very favorite photos of DD.

Similar photos appear on other records also. I don't know why different countries change the cover art on records.

Japanese lp

DDin Hollywood - Polish version

Love Him - Portuguese version

Renny

Unread post by Renny »

John M wrote:
Renny wrote:Speaking of music, does anyone remember an album released by Harmony Records (an offshoot of Columbia) back in the late '60s called "Doris Day Sings Her Great Movie Hits." I really liked the album and could identify each selection from a Doris Day film with the exception of one, "What Every Girl Should Know." I have seen every DD film numerous times and know that "What Every Girl Should Know" was not in any Doris Day film.
John,

That makes perfeft sense because (as you know), "What Does a Woman Do" is song from the "What Every Girl Should Know" album. By the way, one of my favorites from that album is "Mood Indigo." Priceless.
I'd enjoy going out with you, Mr. Beasley, if I just didn't find you so personally distasteful....

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken »

I really enjoy seeing the pictures on the sheet music. THANK YOU so much for sharing. I hope Doris sees what her fans do on the computer.One of my favorite pics is on the sheet music for The Blue Train--Awesome!!!
Ken

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

It's Hitchcock week on AMC in the u.s., and some are good, some not so good (his 1972 movie, "Frenzy", done at Pinewood studios and around London, was great). Late tonight (Sat.) is another good one, from the early '40s, "Shadow of a Doubt".

But speaking of SONGS, Doris as Jo in "The Man Who Knew Too Much", the Broadway star, agrees to entertain with "a few songs" at the piano (one of which--Que Sera, Sera--is famously overheard.)

But as the scene plays out, Doris is heard (but not shown) singing OTHER songs, a couple of them, maybe. Does anyone know what those songs are?? Some lyrics are there, in the movie, but they're not very familiar (I don't have the DVD).

It's almost like "Family Plot" (Hitchcock's final movie) which is obviously California, but all over the map (and the location is never specified). In "The Man Who Knew Too Much" Doris is singing, but we're not supposed to know what songs they are!