CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
mikeydv
Music Master

CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

Unread post by mikeydv »

I recently purchased (from RECORD RESEARCH) a newly-completed dvd called The Billboard Honor Roll of Hits.
It seems that Billboard used to publish (weekly) an Honor Roll of the Top Ten Songs Across the Country, based on dj plays, jukebox plays, and store sales (a compilation). The lists started in 1945 (coincidentally, at the same time Doris was recording with the Les Brown band). After the first few months, it went from 10 songs to 15, then to 20 (and it eventually became, years later, the Billboard Hot 100.
I am still exhausting its contents. One thing it does is list the SONG (rather than the recording). Then, under the song it lists first THE BEST SELLING RECORD, followed by other recordings of the same thing also selling. Back in the 40's and 50's, there was ALWAYS more than one version of the same song. I remember back in 1954 when IF I GIVE MY HEART TO YOU was in the charts. Doris, of course, had the Best Selling Single to hit the Top 5 (but Denise Lor was close behind her in 27th place), along with covers by Nat King Cole , Dinah Shore, and others.
Back to my title: I was noticing that at one point in 1945, Les Brown had 5 of the Top Ten Hits. Funny...no mention of Doris Day as vocalist. The songs were: "Sentimental Journey", "My Dreams Are Getting Better All The Time", "I'm Beginning to See the Light", "Come To Baby Do", "Till The End of Time". Then, as I traversed on through 45, 46 and 47 (roughly the same times that Doris sang with the band, off and on), more hits appeared (which Doris sang), notably: "That's For Me", "Oh What It Seemed To Be", "The Whole World is Singing My Song", "Aren't You Glad You're You", "The Christmas Song", "I've Got The Sun in the Morning", etc.
In every case, the listing is Les Brown Orchestra. SO.....Before 1948 and "Poppa Won't You Dance With Me", "Again", and "It's Magic" and "Love Somebody", Doris was Constantly on top if the Hit Parade, without ever receiving due credit. Eventually, "Sentimental Journey" became listed as Les Brown and Doris Day, but that was a long time coming. I think this was a big slight to h er early career and how significant she was to music even before her solo career began!!!

dayniac
Honorary Member

Re: CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

Unread post by dayniac »

You said it ! I agree -- slighted here and in so many other ways !!
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I cannot say it enough ... Doris Day is terribly underappreciated. I think the late sixties, when the sexual revolution was going on and anything that seemed "traditional" was frowned upon, Doris got the brunt of it. Here she was a great singer, top box office attraction, and all the media could say about her was that she was a perennial "virgin." She became the butt of many jokes, and everyone seemed to forget her great accomplishments. It seems ridiculous, but I've had to defend her ever since. For instance, about ten years ago, while vacationing in New York, some friends and I came, quite by chance, upon a small revue of Doris' music. We loved it and being great fans, we were thrilled. When I got back to Los Angeles, and took a shared cab ride home, I mentioned to a young lady that I had seen a wonderful tribute to Doris Day's music. Her reply? "Oh, that must have been a real camp!" Boy, did my back go up in the air, and I firmly stated that it was a SERIOUS study of her great music career. The remainder of the ride was silent. It's really pitiful, although I think the tide is finally beginning to turn.
Like Irene Dunne done.

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

From your mouth, to God's ears!!!
Fortunately, every time I play Doris music where I work on Saturday nights, some one always comes up and says "Is that Doris Day?" When I say yes, they generally respond: "OOOOH...I love Doris Day. I wish they still played her music on the radio."

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Howard nailed it when he described the unfair backlash against Doris.

But time has a way of adding perspective so that now most people have had the opportunity to rediscover her great performances on film and on record. They know what she is capable of when the material is on par with her talent. Here's one example: a few years ago, right after the release of the first boxed set that included "The Pajama Game," Entertainment Weekly put Doris' performance as Babe Williams on its weekly Must List. ET is a younger skewing magazine and most of their staff is 35 or under. But they obviously had no qualms about saying how terrific she was. The stigma about "liking Doris Day movies" seems to have evaporated.

In a similar vein, Dave Kerr, who is a tough and respected film critic for the "New York Times" wrote a very positive review of the same DVD boxed set and stated it was high time to reconsider and appreciate her work in films. So the tide is shifting, albeit maybe not as quickly or as widely as we would like.

I also think we owe a debt of gratitude to technology: DVD's; remastering of vintage recordings on CD; TCM and AMC; and even You Tube! The full body of her work is accessible to millions of people now with just a couple mouse clicks.
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

littlegoldfish666
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by littlegoldfish666 »

howard wrote:I cannot say it enough ... Doris Day is terribly underappreciated. I think the late sixties, when the sexual revolution was going on and anything that seemed "traditional" was frowned upon, Doris got the brunt of it. Here she was a great singer, top box office attraction, and all the media could say about her was that she was a perennial "virgin." She became the butt of many jokes, and everyone seemed to forget her great accomplishments. It seems ridiculous, but I've had to defend her ever since. For instance, about ten years ago, while vacationing in New York, some friends and I came, quite by chance, upon a small revue of Doris' music. We loved it and being great fans, we were thrilled. When I got back to Los Angeles, and took a shared cab ride home, I mentioned to a young lady that I had seen a wonderful tribute to Doris Day's music. Her reply? "Oh, that must have been a real camp!" Boy, did my back go up in the air, and I firmly stated that it was a SERIOUS study of her great music career. The remainder of the ride was silent. It's really pitiful, although I think the tide is finally beginning to turn.
I think she deserves much morre recognition than she gets. Her talent wasn't restricted to one kind of genre in movies or music. She could do musicals, comedies and even serious movies, also she could sing lots of different types of songs, and there are songs that will be remembered for years to come. I wonder how many of the so called "stars" today will be remembered in 40, 50, 60 years time. And Doris Day would make a good role model for the young kids of today. Not like the likes of Britney, Amy Winehouse etc. Doris Day has a unique voice, as soon as a song comes on I can usually tell it's Doris most of the time.

Doris Day is underrated and undervalued as a singer and an actress.

I'm only 36 but I've loved Doris Day for as long as I can remember :D But given my memory problems I'm not sure actually how long that is :lol:

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Musiclover »

There is a man here in California who has translated his interest in the entertainment industry, and specifically in the Great American Songbook, into a series of popular hour-long lectures with audio-visual programs that he presents regularly in various venues around Orange and Los Angeles Counties. He has programs about composers, about song-writing teams, about individual entertainers, etc. The most recent program he assembled, which made its "debut" this month, is about female vocalists. Although it includes Doris Day, he devotes fewer than 10 minutes to her.

When I attended the program, I felt that his narration about her career was not as comprehensive as it could have been, especially in view of the kudos and amount of time he gave to several other vocalists . . . so I took the liberty of providing him with some statistics, a short recommended "listening list," and some other information. I gently suggested that adding some of it to his commentary could enhance the program.

Today I received a response, in which he noted that his program "shortchanges many great singers who deserve more time, and perhaps even their own program." He mentioned Doris as one such vocalist and Ella Fitzgerald as another. I was very pleased to learn that he is going to "take another look at Doris Day's career and add some more video so that I honor her lifetime work."

It's only a small step, but every bit helps!

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Nice going, Musiover. Thanks
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Here here Musiclover.