Doris Day "Personality"

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
Day&MacRae
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

Doris Day "Personality"

Unread post by Day&MacRae »

Dose any one know if Doris sang “Personality”? I have the one that Lloyd Price sang and love it. I tried searching it on itunes but no luck. I’m Starting to think she didn’t. I just thought I would check and see if there was any luck of it. :wink:
~Kimberly~

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day "Personality"

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

A real helpful way of finding out if Doris has recorded a song is to go to "Bear Family Records" on the net and search for Doris Day once there. Then look at the listening for her songs listed on each CD. You might get your answer more quickly that way. Then if still not sure, you can ask the experts here.

Lauren

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

WISHFUL THINKING....Remember....."personality" was considered rock and roll . Marty would not let doris release rock and roll records. That is why such things as OOWEEBABY and LITTLE GIRL LIMBO were never released.

Day&MacRae
Forum Friend

Lauren Benjamin wrote:A real helpful way of finding out if Doris has recorded a song is to go to "Bear Family Records" on the net and search for Doris Day once there. Then look at the listening for her songs listed on each CD.
Thanks Lauren! That’s was very helpful! :D
~Kimberly~

Day&MacRae
Forum Friend

mikeydv wrote:WISHFUL THINKING....Remember....."personality" was considered rock and roll . Marty would not let doris release rock and roll records. That is why such things as OOWEEBABY and LITTLE GIRL LIMBO were never released.
Your so rite Mikeydv! I forgot about that! That totally makes sense. I new she probably didn’t but just thought I would check. Haha! Funny, I was actually thinking about that during class today! I was like she probably didn’t record that because it’s not her style
~Kimberly~

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

The SAD thing is that ANYTHING is Doris' style if she puts her mind to it. Think about:

ROLY POLY
WHATJA PUT IN THAT KISS
TWO HEARTS/TWO KISSES
12 O CLOCK TONIGHT
CROCODILE ROCK
etc etc etc
It was Mr. Marty who dictated her "image"

Day&MacRae
Forum Friend

That’s so sad. Some of those were great songs! It’s a true shame Marty didn’t let her sing them. :(
~Kimberly~

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Doris DID sing them. And most of them WERE released at the time, plus others: Two Hearts, Two Kisses (CO 40483), Ooh! Bang! Jiggly Jang! (CO 40581) (dreadful!), Whad'ja Put in That Kiss (CO 40798), Twelve O'Clock Tonight (CO 40870), Rickety Rackety Rendezvous (CO 41015), Walk a Chalk Line (CO 41071), Instant Love (CO 41195), Roly Poly (CO 41450). It's not like Marty kept those from being released.

The reality is they did not sell, and Doris herself has stated she did not like rock & roll and didn't enjoy singing it at all. It wasn't her forte and certainly didn't show off her gifts to their best advantage.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

My memory could be failing me but I believe that there was a time when Doris was considered a very successful POP singer. POP seemed to be an intermediary position in singing between ballads and orchestrated music and rock and roll.

And, John....I like "Rickety" LOL! Enjoying your exchange on the subject.

Lauren

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

Shame on you, John. How can you possibly consider ANYTHING by Doris dreadful?
We actually used OOH BANG JIGGLY JANG in a show when I was in college, and the audience LOVED IT..so there!
AND I STILL SAY that OOO WEE BABY and LET THE LITTLE GIRL LIMBO would have been MONSTER hits..and THEY WERE NOT RELEASED!

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

ONE MORE THING

MARTIN MELCHER was a FIRST CLASS JERK when it came to Doris music. Any of her recording arrangers (like Frank Comstock) will tell you that.

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

where is that book, John???????????????

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I LOVE Oh bang Jingly Jang and What'da put in that kiss!

Day&MacRae
Forum Friend

I liked “Ooh! Bang! Jiggly Jang!” How can any one not like one of Doris’s songs? There are some that are better then others but none of them are dislikes! :wink:

I do agree that Marty was a jerk to Doris at least. :wink:
~Kimberly~

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Sorry guys. I LOVE Doris' talent. That does not mean I'm blind to crappy songs and bad recordings, even by her. :wink: And YES, she did have some. EVERYONE does. Sinatra, Ella, Barbra, and even our dear Doris. I'm glad you like them, because people did work hard on those records. But you couldn't PAY me to spin most of them. I think too many Doris fans are blinded by their adoration of her to see the work objectively. The reality is Doris' fans would buy the songs, but non-fans who were into rock & roll of the time did NOT buy Doris' tries at it. If they had, they'd have been hits and she'd be known as a rock & roll singer. It didn't happen. Her niche was pop and nobody does it better.

AND Mikey, you might be interested to know that my research for the book indicates Columbia pulling the 2 60s recordings (Ooo Wee Baby and Let The Little Girl Limbo) from release, not Marty. Believe me, if Marty thought something would make money, he'd release it. He worshipped money more than anything.

Like I said, I'm glad you guys like the schlock. Me, I'll stick with the Paul Weston, Frank DeVol, Andre Previn and Mort Garson recordings, among others, where she does Gershwin, Cole Porter, Rodgers & Hammerstein, etc. Now THAT'S good music. :lol:

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

You are right, John....That was Doris at her very best. But I am blind to the bad recordings, and I admit I can't be anything but prejudiced where that is concerned. If she sang the phone book, I would love it.
I won't get into cutesy (I SAID MY PAJAMAS) or polka (PAPA, WON'T YOU DANCE/ HOOP DEE DOO) or country (QUICKSILVER/ FULL TIME JOB) or jazz (anything w/Andre Previn) or cowgirl (CALAMITY JANE)...but you see..I am covering all the bases. She could do it all. AND I LOVED EVERY BIT OF IT ALL MY LIFE.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

And Mikey, to me, that is the most important thing... that people have loved and enjoyed her work. No matter what genre, people loved what she did. And loved it madly. That doesn't seem to happen too much anymore. But then, there aren't too many stars with the kind of talent Doris had, plus her 110% commitment to do the VERY best she could with whatever she was given to do. Even with songs she didn't want to record, and movies she didn't want to make, you'd never know it from the performances she gave.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree John, that Doris singing the really classic American songbook - cannot be surpassed.

Whilst I do love the songs [stated above] there are others that I do not like, and some films too that I am not so into.

I agree with 'Considering Doris Day'- that when Doris was on top, no one did it better!