In USA - Very Tough To Hear DD Singing on RADIO

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
TCMMovieFan
Spam Prevention: Yes

In USA - Very Tough To Hear DD Singing on RADIO

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

I happen to reside in a heavily populated area-----would you believe that there are no longer any commercial radio stations that play Doris Day recordings - indeed, none of the singing of any of her colleagues or contemporaries ?
If one has the money - even in these economically challenging times - they could subscribe to SIRIUS that does have specific stations offering DD, Perry Como, Ella, et al. What a shame though that us fans have to pay to get to hear that music or the only other alternative is stock our cars with CDS. At home, I guess we can possibly download this type of music but it is a shame that the best singing is not to be found these days on the commercial airwaves - at least in my part of the USA.
Is this situation much better elsewhere ?
Would be nice to know.
Thanks.

CalamityLisa

Re: In USA - Very Tough To Hear DD Singing on RADIO

Unread post by CalamityLisa »

Hi there!
I'm from Germany and the situation isn't any better here.
It happened just once in my lifetime that I've had the luck to hear "Que sera" on the radio.
And it is such a shame that most of the people my age do not even know Doris or other artists of this era.
But I want to thank FrednetRadio for this excellent radio program!

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Here in Los Angeles,we have a station called Retro1260. It's an AM station, and they play Doris, Frank, etc. They also play a goodly amount of doo-wop music. They've tried this format before, and it didn't last very long. I hope they succeed this time around!
Like Irene Dunne done.

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

And don't forget if you access to the internet, there is always www.frednetradio.com The very best 24/7

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

There are some great online radio stations. FrednetRadio, iTunes radio under golden oldies is great. I like Martini in the Morning & The Vegas Strip on iTunes radio. I love Sirius radio. I know it can be expensive but if you get the online version it is pretty cheap. Nancy Sinatra's show is incredible on Sundays. She plays Doris usually on every show & we talk about the shows online, it's great! I hope I helped.
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Some time ago, Nancy Sinatra said on a radio show that Doris and Peggy Lee were her favorite female singers. I think I know who her favorite male was, don't you?
Like Irene Dunne done.

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

She loves Doris and picks some of Doris' best songs to play on her show. I asked her months ago what it was like meeting Doris and she said it was thrilling but she hurt her little girl heart she said because Doris told her to change her 50s hairdo. I think I do :lol: . She has good taste, im so glad she loves Doris.
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

unadka
Forum Friend

Unread post by unadka »

Here in Slovenia we have some online radios, which play music from 50s and 60s.
Radiodur.si plays those music for four hours a day in the broadcast called SOMETIMES THERE WAS THE MUSIC.
It gives events by callender of each singer or band and on birthdays plays three songs and gives many information. I hear Doris about once a week. On her birthday this year there was a tribute to her too.
It isn't frednetradio of corse, but better then nothing.
Nada

TCMMovieFan

Thanks for the info.
Its a shame that the current musical trends are trying to force their tastes on others. Here is a thought - perhaps one day when all of us here on this DD Forum manage to come across a large sum of money - we should pull our resources together and form a worldwide radio station that can play DORIS and all the other favorites on the car radios ! I know this is impossible but it is a nice and positive dream !

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

Bill..not a dream. It is in the works as I write.

TCMMovieFan

That would be wonderful ! Sign me up though I hasten to add I am currently unemployed :(