LET THE LITTLE GIRL LIMBO

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
TCMMovieFan
Spam Prevention: Yes

LET THE LITTLE GIRL LIMBO

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

Does anyone here know much about this song ? I have heard it at least once or twice. It sounds somewhat along same lines as EYDIE GORME'S 'BLAME IT ON THE BOSSA NOVA' - perhaps those two songs were released around the same time but was 'LIMBO' ever become popular if not a hit ? I know that EYDIE'S 'BOSSA NOVA' became of her most popular songs.

mikeydv
Music Master

Re: LET THE LITTLE GIRL LIMBO

Unread post by mikeydv »

Doris Day recorded two versions of the song...neither was ever released. No one knows why. Either could have been a million selling hit for Doris, but the folks at Columbia were no longer interested in her music career....so they just dropped the songs. FOOLS.

TCMMovieFan

Agreed.
Question - was interested to know - when you turn on your car radio is there a decent station in your area in which you can listen to Doris or any of her contemporaries ?
I go up and down all my dials but to no avail - AND TO NO 'JERRY VALE' either ! (I believe he also recorded for the Columbia label if I am not mistaken !)

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Here in Los Angeles, there is a radio station called "Retro 1260." They play Doris, Como, Sinatra and all the others plus oldies from the 50s and 60s ... doo-wop, & rhythm & blues, etc. It's nice to have it on air, but I hope it lasts. They tried it (on the same station!) a number of years ago, and I assume the listeners weren't there. It was dropped not long after its debut. Here's hoping it sticks around this time.
Like Irene Dunne done.

CalamityLisa

Unread post by CalamityLisa »

The "Limbo" song reminded me on "Blame it on the bossa nova", too.
There is also a german version of the "Bossa Nova" song I used to listen to with my grandmother.

TCMMovieFan

Howard - you are most fortunate to have a radio station in your area still playing the good music. I am in the NY Metro Area and there are absolutely no stations featuring Doris, Como, or anyone else for that matter ! One can spend much time going up and down those dials.
The musical 'biggie' here was WNEW but that was bought out by Bloomberg back in '92 and turned into a Financial News network. Then WQXR - the classical station - surrended its AM so that there could be a replacement station playing the American Popular Standards - WQEW. That lasted till '98 when it was bought out by Disney. Then there were no major mega-watt stations playing the standard material. Then there were a few very weak stations but they changed their formats so now there is nothing. About a week ago I somehow found a fluttering station on the lower numbers of the FM - they were playing some selections by Doris - but this is the exception rather than the rule. I do hope your L.A. station continues to work out well for you. Happy Listening !