Barney Rapp/Doris Day song "I'm Happy About The Whole Thing"

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
texas gonzalo
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Barney Rapp/Doris Day song "I'm Happy About The Whole Thing"

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 23 Aug 2010, 13:22

By accident I ran across a you tube video of Doris singing "I'm Happy About the Whole Thing." The vocal portion is complete. However, the last few seconds at the end are cut off. But it is quite a gem for those who have not heard the song before. I found the site when I asked for "Doris Day Audition Recordings." At the moment go to page 2 of the yahoo listing and you will note the video there. Good luck and
Happy Days,
texas gonzalo

CalamityLisa

Re: Barney Rapp/Doris Day song "I'm Happy About The Whole Th

Unread post by CalamityLisa » 23 Aug 2010, 13:27

I'm happy about that information. I didn't know this song before. Thanks texas gonzalo!

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 26 Oct 2010, 14:59

This is an update on the original posting:

To access the song, simply type the song title "I'm Happy About The Whole Thing" and the first item on the web page will provide the video I originally told you about.

Happy Days,
texas gonzalo

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv » 27 Oct 2010, 15:47

FYI: That song was aired on the Doris Day Sentimental Journey Show. episode one, on frednetradio.com

Johnny
Honorary Member

Re: Barney Rapp/Doris Day song "I'm Happy About The Whole Thing"

Unread post by Johnny » 06 May 2017, 10:47

I heard Doris Day sing" I'm Happy About The Whole Thing" on You Tube. Apparently it is one of Doris' earliest recordings when she started working with Barney Rapp in 1939. ( I wonder if there is a start date with Barney and a recording date).

The song is bright and upbeat. I don't recall seeing it on any of her albums I have, but I will check. I would like to hear the remastered version. Doris must have been 17 or 18 at the time. Doris' energy and emotion in the song is indicative of her emerging talent.

I am looking for other songs Doris recorded from 1939 to 1945.
Johnny

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 06 May 2017, 14:07

Johnny, you are correct that "Happy" is one of Doris Day's earliest recordings. Doris was 17 years old at the time. Technically speaking, an earlier recording is "Little Sir Echo", but both were transcribed during a live broadcast from Barney Rapp The Sign Of The Drum on 17 June 1939. There is a long play album produced by Joyce Records (Joyce LP 1058) which includes the entire 30 minute broadcast featuring these two Doris Day gems. It is offered for sale once in a while on the internet. As to your search for recordings from 1939 to 1945, consult The Definitive Doris Day Discography, and you will note her recordings on the Okeh label from 29 November 1940 to 8 Aptil 1941, her three Soundies recorded in 1941, and her Columbia recordings from 20 November 1944 to 20 August 1946. The two 1939 recordings are the earliest I have been able to find. Wish there were recordings when she was with Bob Crosby Orchestra in 1939, but since that involved a 3 month period, this is unlikely. We can still hope that record transcriptions when she sang in Cincinnati at WLW Radio during 1939 will someday surface. In the meatime happy hunting and
Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 06 May 2017, 14:53

Thanks a million Texas. Your information is really helpful. I like using dates on Doris' work for the Doris Day History posts.

Listening to the re-mastered songs is a real pleasure. Listening to Doris sing is a heavenly experience.

Have a great weekend. Thanks again.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 07 May 2017, 13:46

Texas, I believe that Doris's short stint with the Crosby band was in 1940, not 1939, because Les Brown hired her from Crosby in August of 1940. Do you agree?

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 07 May 2017, 16:14

Musiclover, I agree that the year Doris Day sang with Bob Crosbry Orchestra was 1940. I should have consulted my The Definitive Doris Day Discorgaphy to obtain the correct year. But in any event thanks for pointing this out, and in the meantime,
Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo