Rare Doris Day/Buddy Clark Recordings

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
texas gonzalo
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Rare Doris Day/Buddy Clark Recordings

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 10 Mar 2013, 19:55

I cannot contain my excitement regarding a 78 rpm disc I just purchased. The record is on the way by mail, and I am hoping it is for real. The record is a test pressing from the late 1940's and contains two songs I was totally unaware had been recorded by Doris Day and Buddy Clark. The songs are "A Strawberry Moon (In a Blueberry Sky)", and "That Uncertain Feeling". There has never been a hint that such recordings existed until now. But I am being cautious about "reality" until I actually play the recordings and confirm they are indeed by Doris Day and Buddy Clark. If the recordings are for real, you all will be the second to know. Keep your fingers crossed!
Happy Days,
Texas Gonzalo

Jas1
Honorary Member

Re: Rare Doris Day/Buddy Clark Recordings

Unread post by Jas1 » 11 Mar 2013, 14:14

Sounds great Texas,let's hope so...keep us posted and good luck.

HilB126
Forum Friend

Unread post by HilB126 » 14 Mar 2013, 14:22

It'd be fantastic to discover some new (to us) Doris material! Crossing my fingers for you!

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin » 14 Mar 2013, 21:49

Yes, thank you so much Texas! Looking forward to your discovery! and hope we get to hear it!

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv » 15 Mar 2013, 12:31

Where on earth did you find it"?"?"

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 18 Mar 2013, 22:26

Well Mikeydv I can now answer your question and share the good news. In my initial posting i mentioned the possible existence of two "new" Doris Day/Buddy Clark recordings. It turns out I was half way correct. Don't know how the seller could not read the label correctly and instead of "That Certain Party", the seller stated one of the songs was "That Uncertain Feeling". Beats me how he came to that conclusion. But not all was lost on "That Certain Party" since this is a new vertsion. The only musical accompanyment is a simple piano backing, unlike the full orchestration recordings of "That Certain Party" with which we are familiar. But the blockbuster news is the other song, "A Strawberry Moon", which is a never before heard song by Doris Day and Buddy Clark. Again only a simple paino accompanying backs the singing. My conclusion is that this was a recording made around 1947 and was a test rehearsal pressing. The record is a two sided 78 rpm transcription made by Columbia Recording Corporation. The label is the official Columbia label (on blue and white paper). Reportedly this disc came from a estate in New York. I was fortunate to obtain the disc which might turn out to be one of a kind. The song "A Strawberry Moon" is a upbeat tempo, happy go lucky type tune. The song was written by Bob Hilliard and Sammy Mysels in the late 1940's. Bob Hilliard has many songs to his credit including "Shanghai", "Do Not Disturb" and "In The Wee Small Hours", which is perhaps his biggest hit. "A Strawberry Moon" was recorded by several aritists in the 1950's including Jerry Vale. If you want to hear how the song sounds, the Jerry Vale version can be found at www.jerry vale a strawbery moon.
Happy Days,
Texas Gonzalo

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin » 19 Mar 2013, 10:38

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 19 Mar 2013, 11:05

Thanks Toby_Martin for coming to my rescue. Hope you enjoyed the writeups and the Vale song.
Happy Days
Texas Gonzalo

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 19 Mar 2013, 16:25

That's great news Texas.

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv » 20 Mar 2013, 15:55

So how about letting us hear them, Texas???

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 20 Mar 2013, 18:47

mikeydv wrote:So how about letting us hear them, Texas???
Mikeydv, I know how to use my computer to make postings such as this, but I have no idea how I would go about sharing the two "new" Doris Day/Buddy Clark recordings through the internet. As I mentioned earlier, the recordings are in the form of a disc trananscription. Educate me!
Happy Days,
Texas Gonzalo

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv » 24 Mar 2013, 19:13

In that respect, Bryan is the better educator because it is HIS website.
However, if you can play them ...YOU CAN MAKE AN MP3 FILE.
http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.ph ... pm_records
Once you have an mp3 file, you can put it anywhere on the internet (would love copies to play
on my radio program!) Let me know.

jbeane
Forum Friend

Unread post by jbeane » 14 Jan 2014, 02:56

Hey Texas and Mike - did you ever figure out how to post those songs? What a great find. Hope we can hear them!
Thanks,
Jill
"Someone drops a sigh and down you tumble"

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv » 18 Jan 2014, 19:32

still waiting to hear. But keep an eye out for the new AMERICAN DORIS DAY WEBSITE DEBUTING SOMETIME IN FEB OR MARCH....You will find LOTS of rare recordings there!!!

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 18 Jan 2014, 20:25

Hi, all -

Just an FYI: "A Strawberry Moon" was co-written by Bob Hilliard, who also co-wrote "Why Did I Tell You I Was Going to Shanghai" and a lovely song -- played in the background of Doris's movie "With Six You Get Eggroll" -- titled "You Make Me Think About You." Very talented songwriter.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin » 18 Jan 2014, 23:50

Texas~
I'm not sure what you have there, but I use Audacity and it is NOT easy to use. And I'm not sure what it is that you have. Jet Audio has a recorder built in it and Free Recorder records to mp3s, but you would need to download one of these, learn how to use it and then figure out how to transfer from transcription (?) to your computer through a recorder.

If you could find someone on a music forum on the net who can help you get the music that you have transferred into an MP3 format, you will be halfway there. Then you need to get it up on the internet someplace. Bry might be able to help. But usually we upload a song to Box.net or some place in the "cloud." You just need to sign up at Box.net and then upload your songs. Then we can download the songs from where you have them.

Sorry but it's a bit difficult for a couple of songs.

Lauren

unadka
Forum Friend

Unread post by unadka » 19 Jan 2014, 23:14

Hi,

I tryed to work with audacity, but didn't understand the program.
Easy to use it is also free recorder "FREE HI-Q Recorder" It records music in mp3 format.
Lately I use "SOUND RECORDER" which is included in windows 7 program. It records music in wma format which you can upload to box.net too.
You can convert audio and video files and do many other things with very good free program "DVDVideoSoft". I use it 6 years and consider it as the most easy program I ever new.

Hope, this will help you. Thank you for giving a "new" song for us
Nada

unadka
Forum Friend

Unread post by unadka » 22 Jan 2014, 17:28

If you don't want to install any program, you can use a foto or video camera, record a song and put it to PC. Now you have a file, which you can upload to box.net.

Nada

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 07 Jun 2015, 06:30

Someone is asking me if there has been any developments in getting this song - "A Strawberry Moon" by Buddy Clark and Doris Day?
What a difference a Day makes...

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 07 Jun 2015, 21:31

Sorry to report there are no new developments on "Strawberry Moon." When I first got the 78 rpm shellac transcription, I had the means to hear the record, but since then my turntable broke down, and I have not been able to play the disc again. We are of course talking about playback systems that are becoming obsolete. If I can arrange to have the record played and transferred to an electronic disc, I will do so. Until then thanks for your patience, and
Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 24 Jan 2016, 12:01

Hi Texas,

Any devolpment on the rare DD & BC record? Did you hear it already?

Hope to hear from you,

Peter

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 26 Jan 2016, 00:17

Hi Peter, The "Strawberry Moon" project is still in limbo. I did hear the recording only once when I first obained the shellac transcription. Shortly after that my turntable broke down. As I reported on my 18 March 2013 posting, the song appears to be a rehearsal recording, and is the case with the flip side " That Certain Party." Both recordings are by Doris Day and Buddy Clark. The initial task I have to perform is to be able to play the record and transfer it to magnetic tape. After that it can be further transfered into compact disc format. This sound simplistic, but this is the one way I will be able to do it. I will make this my 2016 project so all of us can enjoy hearing these rare gems. Until then,
Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 15 Apr 2017, 17:33

Hi again Texas,

Any developments with this record of yours? Love to hear it...

Hope you'll find a way soon.

P

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 16 Apr 2017, 23:24

Sorry to report Peter, but there are no new developments. I realize how anxious you and everyone else are to listen to the recordings. Before I place a needle on the trnascription surface, I have to be absolutely certain that the disc is not damaged. I believe it is one of a kind. Believe me I want erveryone to share in the excitement of hearing such rare recordings, Please bear with me and Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 18 Apr 2017, 19:39

Good luck Texas. I am sure in time you will get the results you want.
Hearing Doris sung The Strawberry Moon is well worth the wait.
Johnny