More Rare Doris Records

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
mikeydv
Music Master

More Rare Doris Records

Unread post by mikeydv »

Sharing an email I received from a fan in California....

Mike,

Just stumbled upon something that would interest you and the rest of Doris's fans (assuming you all don't already know about it). It's a youtube of her V-discs with Les Brown during and immediately after WWII. I found 5 of them, but the one I liked the best includes brief comments by both Les Brown and Doris. If you search for "Les Brown Doris Day V-Disc 412," the V-disc starts with Artie Shaw's band -- but the comments begin at about 5:30 and precede their recording of "Take Me in Your Arms." I had only ever heard Doris's 1952 recording, but this one is from 1945. (The other V-disc numbers are 5l5, 600, 814, and 824.) Would like to share this info with Doris Day web forum, but I don't know how to do that.

Judy (in California)

howard
Special Contributer

Re: More Rare Doris Records

Unread post by howard »

Thanks for the info, Mikey. I'll have to check it out!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Same here, thanks Mike.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

I think I remember this. If I'm correct, she says something to the servicemen and then at the end she says, "But don't take it too seriously." The bouncy way that she says that is worth a listen.

But....I could be wrong.

Lauren

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by texas gonzalo »

Lauren, you are absolutely correct about the comment made by Doris--"But don't take it too seriously" and the way she said it--priceless. And now a big thank you to Judy in California for directing us to the V-Disc website.
There are five V-Discs in total by Les Brown and Doris Day, as follows:
-- 412B Take Me In Your Arms ( a truly rare recording)
-- 515A Till The End of Time/He'll Have To Cross The Atlantic (sounds like the Columbia Red Label version).
-- 600A You Won't Be Satisfied (sounds like the Columbia Red label version).
-- 660B2 The Deevil, Devil, Divil (sounds like the Columbia Red label version).
-- 349A Sentimental Journey.
I purposely included "Sentimetal Journey" at the end, and out of numerical sequence to emphasize the importance of this V-Disc. Listen to this version and you will note it is completely different than the one recorded on 20 Nonember 1944 and released in January 1945 which became a million record seller. The V-Disc version was recorded on 2 October 1944. The tempo is slower but sung beautifully.

And Caldonia, this V-Disc web site will add to your knoweldge regarding your V-Disc collection. Although the V-Disc labels are pictured on the web site, the numbering you are missing for "Sentimental Journey" is more complete than what you now have in your collection. The number you are missing is more complete but only shows YP98 and then there's a tear on the label which affects the last number. Wonder if that particular number was obscured on purpose.
Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

unadka
Forum Friend

Unread post by unadka »

There are eleven V discs with DD I sent to Bryan's box and he provided the link in the section SMALL TALK: members forum.
You are invited to use it.

Nada