PIANO ACCOMPANIMENT?

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
Renie
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

PIANO ACCOMPANIMENT?

Unread post by Renie »

I especially enjoy hearing DD sing with piano accompaniment. I have found one album she made with Andre Previn, which is excellent. But beyond that, I have only occasionallly found a song here and there on other albums. Does anyone know of other albums which have either all or mostly piano accompaniment?
Thanks, Renie

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Re: PIANO ACCOMPANIMENT?

Unread post by Musiclover »

In the late 1940s and early 1950s, Doris recorded a number of songs with the Page Cavanagh Trio, which had a lot of very fine piano work. Quite a few of them are contained in a great compilation album called "S'Wonderful," as well as in the albums from "Tea for Two" and "Lullaby of Broadway." Those may be available on Amazon, and they are probably the best collections that feature piano accompaniment. I hope you can find one or more of them.

At one time in the late 1960s, Doris and pianist Ronnell Bright (who played on "The Love Album") intended to record an album together -- just the two of them with no other instruments. It's a huge disappointment that that never came to pass; I bet it would've been just terrific.

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie »

Thanks so much for your leads. I'll follow up. Yea. It's too bad that one album was never made.

Renie

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Musiclover- on the recent release spanning the 1940s to the 1980s recordings- there are several piano only renditions - including a radio version of Que Sera Sera and Secret Love & several others that I cannot recall at the moment.

unadka
Forum Friend

Unread post by unadka »

Hi Renie,

you can check DD songs in all versions here

http://www.discogs.com/artist/216294-Doris-Day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Day_discography

and listen to many songs webmaster Bryan offered links here on Forum in SMALL TALK section.

Nada

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Jas1 -

What's the title of that recent release from the 40s to the 80s?

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Musiclover- it is "Music, Movies & Memories"- the other piano tune is on "You're getting to be a habit with me" -on this CD along with lovely remastered versions of some of the 1980 recordings, particularly "Everyone's gone to the moon." - Enjoy!

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Renie,

A follow-up to my post of June 2: Just thought of another compilation CD called "Blue Skies" that contains 20 tracks, of which 8 feature piano accompaniment exclusively or predominately. One of them is "September in the Rain" (erroneously identified on the liner as "September Song"). Most of the CD's tracks were recorded from 1951-53. Although sung with a full band, one of the tracks is from 1945 with Les Brown, on which DD does some excellent jazz.

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie »

Thanks again. I found the Blue Skies CD on Ebay and have ordered it. Back to the album with Andre Previn, the combination of her voice and his piano is breath taking. There's a song called Wait Till You See Him that I find to be so wonderful that it brings tears to my eyes. You can hear it on YOUTUBE along with Ella Fitzgerald's version of the same song, which I also like.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

And to hear Doris' fav vocalist with just piano- highly recommend Ella Fitzgerald - "Let no man write my epitaph."

Musiclover
Special Contributer

To me, no female vocalist tops Ella or Doris, although I like the backing on "Wait Till You See Him" in Doris's recording better than the orchestration in Ella's. Unless I'm mistaken, one of the numbers that Ella recorded but Doris did not was "These Foolish Things." Would've been fun to compare their renditions on that song. They both had such a great set of pipes and used them expertly.