Slow Boat to China

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
Renie
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

Slow Boat to China

Unread post by Renie »

Does anyone know if Doris ever recorded "Slow Boat to China" and if so, where it can be found?

Thanks, Renie

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Re: Slow Boat to China

Unread post by Musiclover »

Renie, that's a great song. Not sure that Doris ever recorded it, though (at least my catalogue notes don't show that she did). If you find out otherwise, let us know. Frank Loesser was such a huge talent, both as composer and lyricist. Possibly my favorite recording DD made of one of his songs is "Somebody, Somewhere."

aussiealan

Unread post by aussiealan »

Renie wrote:Does anyone know if Doris ever recorded "Slow Boat to China" and if so, where it can be found?

Thanks, Renie
Hi Renie, In my (almost) 60 years of collecting all and everything available (including transcripts, radio b'casts etc) I think I can safely say that Doris never recorded that song in any format. I'm pretty sure Texas will agree with me.

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo »

Yes aussiealan, Texas agrees with you.
Thank you for the compliment, and Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie »

I do thank all of you for your responses to my question about Slow Boat to China. It's a song I like a lot and I'd like it even more if I could hear Doris singing it. I do have a recording of her singing Shanghai. Looks like that's as close as I'll get, geographically speaking!

Renie

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

however...if you would like to hear how DD might have sung the song, listen to the version by Liza Minelli

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie »

Wow! Liza Minelli's version is very sexy. While I was there in youtube land, I listened to some other versions of the song and I thought they were all quite good....Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee, and Joni James. A bit of trivia. Joni James graduated from Bowen High School in Chicago, as did I. So I listen to her when I get a chance.
Good as they are or were, none of these ladies measure up to Doris' golden voice in my book.

Renie