Once Over Lightly

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Once Over Lightly

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi there,

I finally came across Les Browns: "Once Over Lightly"

Enjoy,

P

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Once Over Lightly

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Peter~
Thank you so much for this film! How expressive Doris is in front of the camera. And, of course, her talent in singing jazz (swing) is fabulous!

Lauren

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

A great find, Peter. According to my catalogue notes, this soundie was made on April 13, 1941, which -- if my source is correct -- would be less than a week before she married Al Jorden. Her life really changed suddenly, didn't it?

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo »

Great find, Peter. We can now access 2 of the 3 Les Brown/Doris Day soundies. The third one, as many of you know, is entitled "Is It Love Or Is It Conscription?" which was produced on 21 April 1941. The first soundie, "My Lost Horizon" was produced on 7 April 1941. As Lauren points out Doris is very expressive, and is also very comfortable in front of the camera. When "Conscription" finally surfaces, Doris is dressed in an US Army outfit complete with hat. There she moves elegantly and with much poise. She already showed what we finally saw when Hollywood put her on film. Thank you, Peter and
Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

Last year at the party for her 90th I told Doris that I went "all the way back" to "Sentimental Journey" -- and we both laughed..

It's nice to know that "My Lost Horizon" was produced on my 5th birthday. I must have gone someplace with family where soundies were played, but don't remember them, unfortunately.

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

p.s. Thanks for posting Peter!