Young Man With A Horn Album

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
Johnny
Honorary Member

Young Man With A Horn Album

Unread post by Johnny » 20 Jul 2015, 15:09

After reading an article on musician Harry James, I went back to listen to the YMWAH album to appreciate his contributions. His trombone rendition of The Man I Love is spectacular. All his work on this album is fantastic. It is an album I had forgotten about but is now a remembered treasure. I think I let Doris' lyrical The Very Thought of You and I Only Have Eyes For You overshadow Harry's James work. Doris' voice is well suited to jazz and the haunting intimacy of Harry James trombone work.

It is a very good Day!
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Young Man With A Horn Album

Unread post by Musiclover » 20 Jul 2015, 16:08

Not having listened to the album from YMWAH, but only to a much earlier version of "The Man I Love" that Harry James recorded, I can't say for certain -- but it is likely that a brass solo in that song on the album would have been by James on his trumpet, not on a trombone. If there was great trombone work in that song on the YMWAH album, it was likely from Juan Tizol, who was a fine valve trombonist with the James orchestra during the time this film was made. According to Harry James himself, James played only trumpet and drums, not trombone -- in fact, the reason he was not hired as a teenager to play in the Lawrence Welk band was that he did not play more than just those two instruments.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Re: Young Man With A Horn Album

Unread post by Johnny » 24 Jul 2015, 15:23

Thank you so much Musiclover! You are correct

I meant to say trumpet when I stated trombone. What a glaring error! I need to get my brain cells checked.
Johnny