Hooray For Hollywood Album-Volume 1

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
Johnny
Honorary Member

Hooray For Hollywood Album-Volume 1

Unread post by Johnny » 04 Aug 2015, 12:53

This has been a Doris Day summer of 2015 for me. Each day one of her albums is played in full several times. Hooray For Hollywood- Volume 1 was released in October 1958.

Doris captures perfectly Hooray For Hollywood's cynical edge in the lyrics of the song. It is a thoughtful rendition. The second song is Cheek To Cheek and Doris' warmth creates a real tenderness. One can imagine dancing with her while listening to her sing this song. The next three songs, It's Easy To Remember, The Way You Look Tonight, and I'll Remember You are all heartfelt and pure. Blues In The Night is splendid.
The real revelation is Over The Rainbow. Judy Garland's youthful, dreamy and hopeful version is perfection. I discovered Doris' rendition is mature, wistful and yearning. Doris was about 33 when she recorded this song. I found it incredibly moving and unforgettable.
Love is Here To Stay, In The Still of The Night and the classic and perfect Night and Day fill me with bliss. The last two songs on volume 1 are Easy To Love and I Had The Craziest Dream when leads to a joyful conclusion. I would summarize that Hooray For Hollywood-Volume 1 is easy to love.

The real lesson for me is not to forget the treasures of great music at hand. I love introducing Doris' music to a younger audience. My niece said Doris has the most romantic voice she has ever heard. So True!
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Re: Hooray For Hollywood Album-Volume 1

Unread post by Jas1 » 04 Aug 2015, 14:19

I agree Johnny, that is a great album - I think Doris' rendition of Hooray for Hollywood is the best I've heard.

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Musiclover » 05 Aug 2015, 22:03

Vocalist Margaret Whiting, whose father Richard wrote "Hooray for Hollywood," once commented about Doris's rendition, "Nobody could sing my father's song better." I love this album, too, Johnny, and introduced my niece to it. She's a classically trained singer in her early 30s, but knew of DD only as an actress. When she listened to the "Day by Day" and "Day by Night" albums, as well as to this one, she immediately recognized the vocal expertise and has become a Day fan.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 07 Aug 2015, 06:05

Hi there,

For me is the complete Hooray For Hollywood Album (1&2) a Hooray Doris Day album. From the start of the powerfull Hooray For Hollywood until Oh But I Do it's a great album to listen too. Some songs are familiar(to me) with other artist but Doris makes all these songs her own, in her own unique style. I love all the songs but I dig: Night And Day... it's so mysterious and haunting!

Enjoy this great album.

P