Latin For Lovers Album

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
Johnny
Honorary Member

Latin For Lovers Album

Unread post by Johnny » 10 Oct 2015, 14:21

Since June I have played this album almost every day, especially during dinner. I have fallen completely in love with each song. It is an extraordinary album with special songs with fantastic melodies. It was recorded in November 1964 covering ten hours over three days. Doris displays an exceptional talent and versatility on this album. She was initially cautious about recording the album but now says it is one of her favourites.

Quiet Night and Quiet Stars leaves the listener as it says in the lyrics : We will live eternally in a mood of reverie.
Fly Me To The Moon has the has the line: Let me play among the stars. Doris' voice and the music take the listener to the stars.
Meditation is a song written by Antonio Jobim and it leaves the listener in a similar state.
Dansero is also a Jobim song that lifts the listener to an upbeat mood.

Summer Has Gone is a masterpiece. I was so moved by this song I posted the all the lyrics on this site last summer. I have played it over and over. There is a line that captures the essence of this song and it is: Empty Lovers lanes are Lonely- I wish Doris had recorded this song in one of her films..

How Insensitive is another song that Doris has made a masterpiece. I wish she had sang this song in one of her films, There is a melancholy about a broken love affair. I love the line: icy silence... What can you say when a love affair is over? It is such a powerful song with emotional depth in the way that Doris sings it.

Slightly Out of Tune asks what good is a heart slightly out of tune but the song ends on a note of hope.

Our Day Will Come speaks to sharing the joy of falling in love. It is a perfect song fo4r a new romance.

Be True To Me begs the question to what Doris may have been thinking when she recorded this song, having experienced so much betrayal in her relationships. There is the lyric -If You Mean The Things You Say that is significant in the song.

Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps - the lyric is - I Don't Want To End Up Parting Broken Hearted - So If You really Love Me Say Yes.

Be Mine Tonight - I love the lyric -Give Your Kisses in Sweet Surrender - and it ends with -You'll Tell Me That You Care- it has an incredible melod.y

Por Favor is the last song on the album and asks - Dance With Me - that is how I felt listening to
Doris singing this song.

I don't think I will ever tire of listening to this exceptional album. It is an absolute treasure that will endure. It is part of an incredible and beautiful legacy for Doris Day music fans.
Johnny

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Re: Latin For Lovers Album

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 11 Oct 2015, 05:48

Hi Johnny,

Latin For Lovers is my altime favorite album by Doris, I think it surley fits in with some of the music now is popular. It has a very fresh sound and the most loveliest songs ever sung by Doris. There are times that I listen constantly to this album. One of my all time favorite songs is Be True To Me... Love the Spanish part... (Not that I understand a word of it...) Sexy and great album from start to finsih.

P

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 11 Oct 2015, 16:34

Peter - Be true to me - is my fav on this outstanding album.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 13 Oct 2015, 22:37

I love this album too and agree with Peter that it really has a fresh sound to it. Doris has a feel for Latin music and I consider her version of Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps the definitive one. Fly Me To The Moon, Meditation, Quiet Nights and Quiet Stars, Our Day Will Come and Summer Has Gone are the other standouts for me.

I never grow tired of this album.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Ania
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Ania » 14 Oct 2015, 02:04

I love this album, I love these rhythms, Doris voice sounds wonderfully sensual
I did once a few clips here is one of them.

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 14 Oct 2015, 07:09

Terrific video, Ania, thank you so much.

You are so creative!

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 14 Oct 2015, 14:42

The video is a real joy.

Thank you so much Ania! It made my day.
Johnny

JayWint
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by JayWint » 13 May 2019, 15:09

My first post here on this sad day had to be in this thread. This is a truly spectacular vocal performance. I think the recent Cherry Red mono release is my favorite version. It will be played tonight!

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 13 May 2019, 22:19

Welcome to the DD Forum. I hope you enjoy every minute visiting here.

Latin For Lovers is a magnificent album.

Summer Has Gone has a special significance today.

There has never been a more authentic silken singing voice than Doris Day's. What a beautiful gift she has given us all.
Johnny