Sentimental Jouney Album Compilation -2001

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
Johnny
Honorary Member

Sentimental Jouney Album Compilation -2001

Unread post by Johnny » 08 Dec 2015, 16:42

This album was originally released in 1965. It is mellow and full of great feeling. It is a treasure for listeners. It is one of my favourites to play on a lazy Sunday.

The songs on this album are:

The More I See You
At Last
Come To Baby Do!
I Had The craziest Dream/I Don't Want To Walk Without You
I'll Never Smile Again
I Remember You
Serenade In Blue
I'm Beginning To See the Light
It Could Happen To you
It's Been a Long, Long Time
Sentimental Journey

Doris is quoted on the liner notes about several of the songs.

"The More I See You is one of my favorite songs of all time".

"I'll Never Smile Again is the greatest memory she has of any of her songs."

"It Could Happen to you was the song she enjoyed most singing with Les Brown and his band. I think it was his favourite too".

Doris says of Come To Baby Do! "I didn't like the way I did it the first time. I wanted another crack at it. It deserved better treatment. Naturally it got it.

Of Sentimental Journey Doris says: " I remember we did it first at one of those late night rehearsals at the Hotel Pennsylvania in New York. Nobody was very impressed. But then for some crazy reason when we began to play it on the broadcasts, the mail started pouring in. Before that, I don't even think we even planned to record it. But of course we did---right away --- and you know the rest"
Johnny

tonysimone
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Sentimental Jouney Album Compilation -2001

Unread post by tonysimone » 08 Dec 2015, 18:47

Absolutely one her best records and the charts are superb. "I Remember You", "It Could Happen to You" and "The More I See You" are my favorites. "The More I See You" is, I think, the best American pop standard written and it's easy to screw up; best to just sing the thing. DD and Jack Jones do the best job for me, with two very different, but valid, approaches.

What I especially like about the record is the timbre of DD's voice, which has gained just a wee bit of sand but doesn't sound any less airy and weighty at the same time (if that makes sense - it does to me). I listen to this record and "Latin for Lovers" a lot, as they are the best of her later albums.

Why she stopped making records is just beyond me. I can understand not wanting the grind of pcitures and TV, but singing just came out of that woman like melody came out of Tchaikovsky.

Just gorgeous stuff :)

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 09 Dec 2015, 08:39

I agree 100% with both of you- re- this wonderful album - a tragedy that within a few short years after this release, Doris would stop recording (until the mid 1980s and only then briefly).

RE-The More I see You- Sarah Vaughan does an amazing [almost operatic] rendition of this on her 1963 live album release "at Tivoli" - under the orchestrations of Quincey Jones - this, and Doris' version are my favs though I am sure I have not heard all versions of this great song by other artists.

Peggy Lee does a lovely version of It could happen to you - on her late 1950s album "Pretty Eyes".

tonysimone

Unread post by tonysimone » 09 Dec 2015, 15:23

Thanks, Jas, I'll take a listen to the Sarah and Peggy records, although I much prefer Sarah before she became a contralto, lol.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 10 Dec 2015, 18:33

Tony the 1963 Sarah recording at the Tivoli - is when [to me] she was in between how she sounded as the really young immensely talented vocalist and what she was from the 70s onwards- Operatic almost- her voice on these 1963 live recordings from Copenhagen are outstanding if you can google or listen to her singing "Polkadots and moonbeams" from the same show- words cannot describe it -fabulous.

tonysimone

Unread post by tonysimone » 11 Dec 2015, 10:51

Thanks again, I'll get it and listen, I can always learn more :)

For those interested, I put a piece up yesterday re: Sinatra's 100th birthday at:

http://listenandthinkoutloud.blogspot.c ... -idol.html

Thanks again and best!

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 11 Dec 2015, 11:51

A fine retrospective of Sinatra's work, Tony. Thanks!