Doris Day's Greatest Hits Album -1958

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
Johnny
Honorary Member

Doris Day's Greatest Hits Album -1958

Unread post by Johnny » 17 Dec 2015, 17:15

Whenever it is a dull or rainy day, I put on Doris Day's Greatest Hits Album. This album is an incredible mood brightener. It has both up-tempo songs and beautiful, classic ballads to please everyone.

Everybody Loves A Lover - the first song on this album is full of energy, bounce and gives a sense of confidence. In fact it brings to mind the song from the Sound Of Music sung by Julie Andrews, I have Confidence. It also has the upbeat sound of the song Pillow Talk. When Doris sings I Love Everybody, it really gives a great feeling.

It's Magic is classic and magical. One never tires of hearing Doris sing this song with such tenderness.

A Guy Is A Guy is a very interesting song to listen to in 2015. It would be criticized for being politically incorrect. One could have a long discussion on the significance of this song and what it meant in the 1950's. Doris sings a charming, upbeat and happy rendition of the song. It would have been an appropriate staged number in a 1940's musical. There is a sense of fun and innocence with this song. The song Love and Marriage sung by Eddie Fisher came out about the same time as this song.

Secret Love is a timeless favourite with everyone and well deserved the Academy Award it won.

Teacher's Pet is another winning, fun, upbeat number that has a catchy rhythm and
Doris sings it with zest.

Bewitched is in the same classic league as It's Magic and Secret Love. Doris sings it perfectly and it captures the listener's heart. It is so moving.

Whatever Will Be Will Be,(Que Sera Sera)- It is a universally loved song that every child from the 1950's and onward has fond memories associated with it. It prompts a child to dream about their future. Many parents have sung this song to their children.

If I Give My Heart to You - Another classic song that Doris sings to perfection. We all wants our hearts handled with care when it comes to relationships. It is so beautifully sung by Doris. Doris fans have given their hearts to her and she has handled them with care.

Why Did I Tell You I was Going To Shanghai? This song is perfectly placed on the album and brings the listener out of a sense of reverie to feeling upbeat. The song asks, Who is Going To Hug Me?, Who Is Going To Kiss Me?, Who Is Going to Thrill Me? This is what the song does when the listener hears Doris sing it. It is so much fun.

When I Fall In Love brings the listener back to a sense of romance. It is a treasured ballad that Doris sings with great authenticity and tenderness.

Lullaby Of Broadway is high energy. One feels lightening to Doris sing this song that they are in the middle of the buzz of New York City. Doris does a fantastic job with this song.

Love Me Or Leave Me as we all know is the icing on a glorious album of greatest hits. Doris is riveting in her depth of feeling with this song. It is incredibly moving.

Listening to Doris Day's Greatest Hits is like riding a roller - coaster. It is exciting, thrilling and always memorable. It is a glorious experience.

The album was released in November 1958.
Doris Day Doris Day's Greatest Hits US vinyl LP album (LP record ___.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris Day's Greatest Hits Album -1958

Unread post by Musiclover » 18 Dec 2015, 11:52

Johnny, your analyses of DD's albums are very nice. Here's a little background about A Guy is a Guy by Oscar Brand, who wrote a number of novelty songs. This tune was actually based on A Knave is a Knave, a bawdy song from the early 1700s, that reappeared much later (in WWII) with words changed to "a gob is a slob." When Brand re-wrote the song, he cleaned up the lyric substantially . . . and Doris delivered this huge hit.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 18 Dec 2015, 15:33

Thanks so much Musiclover for the fascinating background information on the A Guy Is A Guy song.

As you can see, I often write from my emotional responses to Doris' miraculous voice and beauty of the lyrics Doris is a superior technician in connecting with an audience on both an emotional and technical level.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Musiclover » 19 Dec 2015, 01:49

Doris's overall catalogue has a really high percentage of outstanding renditions. It's very rare for any other vocalist to equal or surpass her consistency in interpreting and delivering a lyric.