You'll Never Walk Alone Album -1962

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
Johnny
Honorary Member

You'll Never Walk Alone Album -1962

Unread post by Johnny » 29 Dec 2015, 16:33

One of my projects this year was digging out my father's Doris Day album collection to listen to and study. You'll Never Walk Alone was released September 17, 1962.The orchestra is arranged and conducted by Jim Harbert The songs on this album are:

Side One
If I Can Help Somebody
Nearer My God To Thee
The Prodigal Son - (one of my favourites)
Abide With Me
Bless This House
You'll Never Walk Alone

Side Two
In the Garden
Walk With Him
Scarlet Ribbons (for her hair)
Be Still and Know
I Need Thee Every Hour
'The Lord's Prayer -(my father's favourite)

Liner Notes From the Original Jacket

That Doris Day is an astonishingly versatile girl can hardly surprise anyone. One of the brightest Hollywood stars equally at home in dramatic and comedy roles she has also made a complete career for herself as a Columbia recording artist: and has appeared in practically every remaining medium of entertainment. To put it briefly and to the point, Doris is tops in everything. And now, add one more triumph to the Doris Day story - her first album devoted to spiritual and inspirational songs.
This is something Doris has wanted to do for a long time. A simple and charming person herself, with a joyous philosophy and a boundless enthusiasm she has always felt close to God and to the music that celebrates His glory. With her full-throated voice and intimate approach to music and lyrics, Doris is a "natural" for the songs in this album.

The selections fall into three categories. First, there are the standard hymns of faith, known and loved throughout the English-speaking world: Nearer My God To Thee by the nineteenth century American composer Lowell Mason, I Need Thee Every Hour and the great hymn, Abide with Me. Then there are the standards of a more recent vintage, songs that have established themselves as classics within our own time, such as the gentle Scarlet Ribbons, the stirring Bless This House and You'll Never Walk Alone composed by the famous team of Rodgers and Hammerstein. Finally the album contains new modern sacred material - the classics of the future. Among these are Walk With Him and three numbers by the talented Martin Broones, Be Still And Know, The Prodigal Son, and a new moving setting for The Lord's Prayer.

Some of the selections feature Buddy Cole at the organ, in others the orchestra arrangements by Jim Harbert are light and delicate, beautifully complimenting the material and the intimate Doris Day approach to it.

I found this information on the bottom of the album interesting.

This Columbia Guaranteed High Quality recording is scientifically designed to play with the highest quality of reproduction on the phonograph of your choice, new or old. If you are the owner of a new stereophonic system, the record will play with even more brilliant true-to-life fidelity. In short, you can purchase this record with no fear of it becoming obsolete in the future. How true!

This record plays beautifully and the sound if perfect.

Regardless of anyone's beef system this album is a treasure and a classic that will soothe the spirit. It stands on it's own merit. Doris' connection with the music is mesmerizing. So beautiful.

Spending time in music stores and looking at album covers, listening to the music and reading the liner notes is a fantastic experience that I fear will soon b gone with the wind for everyone. Downloading and streaming just doesn't compare as an elevating cultural experience.
Johnny

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Re: You'll Never Walk Alone Album -1962

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 02 Jan 2016, 06:25

Hi Johnny,

I love this album, but I have to be in the mood... Doris singing is great, not alway's to keen on the organ backing. Love the songs with the full orchestra and for me Scarlet Ribbons is vocaly a treath to the ear.

Enjoy the album,
P

Johnny
Honorary Member

Re: You'll Never Walk Alone Album -1962

Unread post by Johnny » 05 Jan 2016, 15:54

Thank you Peter for the Scarlet Ribbons video. Doris sounds as if she is praying softly. It is incredibly moving. I would like every parent to hear this song.

The You'll Never Walk Alone Album should be made available prior to Easter each year and become standard listening for the holiday. It would make a beautiful gift and I believe would be really appreciated by many.

I don't like the idea of any of Doris' albums fading away when they can always be appreciated now by a new generation.
Johnny