Bright And Shiny Album -1961

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
Johnny
Honorary Member

Bright And Shiny Album -1961

Unread post by Johnny » 04 Jan 2016, 16:39

The Bright and Shiny album was recorded by Doris in December 1960 and released on March 20, 1961, The orchestra was conducted under the direction of Neal Hefti.

Songs on side One

Bright and Shiny
I Want To Be Happy
Keep Smilin' Keep Laughin' Be Happy
Singin' In the Rain ( prefer this to the original -so much softness and feeling)
Gotta Feeling
Happy Talk

Side Two

Make Someone Happy ( my absolute favourite - perfection)
Ridin' High
On the sunny Side Of The Street
Clap Your Hands
Stay With The Happy People
Twinkle and Shine

Bright And Shiny Notes From The Jacket Of The Original Album

Bright and Shiny as a newly minted penny, Doris Day's personality bubbles over in this cheerful new collection. The world's best selling female vocalist, Doris combines her high spirits with a warm sensitivity that soars across the land and language barriers. Such million -selling records as "Que Sera Sera", and the Academy Award -winning "Secret Love" have equalled their American popularity abroad and given her international sta5dom.
Doris' unique success on records is matched by her Hollywood career. LIFE magazine called her "Hollywood's Number One Star", and she was chosen "Star Of The year" by theatre owner of America. The Motion Picture Herald poll named Doris the year's number one box-office attraction, the first female star to be honoured since the days of Shirley Temple.
Doris was nominated for an Academy Award for her performance in the comedy, "Pillow Talk" and earned critical applause for work in the thriller, "Midnight Lace". A truly versatile artist, Doris illuminates a ballad and light up a rhythm song. In this collection she has chosen songs on the sunny side. There are favourites such as, "I Want To Be Happy", and "
Clap your Hands". There are new songs, "Make Someone Happy" from the Broadway hit "Do Ri Me", Twinkle And Shine and the title song. There are Neal Hefti's light-hearted orchestrations but most of all there is Doris Day, irresistibly bright and energetically shiny.

Arranger-conductor Neal Hefti wrote his orchestrations while still in high-school. He played trumpet with Charlie Barnett, Bobby Byrne and others, then joined Woody Herman's group and wrote such landmarks as "Wild Root", and "The Good Earth". After working with Harry James and Count Basie, he organized his own band with his own wife, Frances Wayne. He has written and conducted music for many television programs.

We played this album on New year's Day and thought it was a perfect way to start a New Year. One cannot help but feel happy while listening to this album.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Bright And Shiny Album -1961

Unread post by Musiclover » 05 Jan 2016, 11:58

What a happy way to begin the new year, Johnny. The album's title song was newly written by Bob & Dick Sherman, longtime writers for Disney films, but several other songs are much older -- notably, the Gershwins' Clap Yo Hands (1926), On the Sunny Side of the Street (1930) and Cole Porter's Ridin' High (1936). I think the latter was introduced by Ethel Merman, but she or anybody else would be hard pressed to top Doris's rendition.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 05 Jan 2016, 15:42

Musiclover,

Thanks for the great background information on the songs.

This will help me appreciate the music even more.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Musiclover » 07 Jan 2016, 22:07

You're very welcome! :)

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 15 Jan 2016, 16:00

Hi all,

Love Doris version of: Make Someone Happy... perfection!!!!
And indeed a very happy album.

Enjoy,

P