"IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU" UNRELEASED SONG POSTED ON YOUTUBE

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
howard
Special Contributer

"IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU" UNRELEASED SONG POSTED ON YOUTUBE

Unread post by howard » 03 Feb 2016, 12:55

I've just uploaded "It Could Happen To You," a tune Doris sang with the Les Brown Band. As far as I know, this has never been released before. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/Hr96Zm2DwXE
Like Irene Dunne done.

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: "IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU" UNRELEASED SONG POSTED ON YOUTUBE

Unread post by Musiclover » 03 Feb 2016, 13:50

This is great, Howard -- thanks! I believe it was cut in the summer of 1944. Doris recorded it with Brown again in 1946 shortly before she left his band, and those couple of years made a huge difference in her delivery.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 04 Feb 2016, 13:13

Hi Howard,

Thank you again for adding a new Doris Day discovery on here! Love the Day-Brown combination. And as musiclover stated, her voice is still growing from 1944 to 1946... Same song, different approach.

Let the music come to us... It will make the world a happier place

P

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 04 Feb 2016, 22:05

Thank you Howard for posting "It Could Happen To You." It is always good to hear the song once more. The song was released commercially by Collector's Choice in 1998 in its compilation titled Doris Day--Complete Recordings with Les Brown as a 2 CD set. The song was erroneously included as having been one of the original recordings Doris Day and Les Brown recorded on the OKEH and Columbia labels. The song first appeared on 10 July 1944 on One Night Stand #302. I am unaware of the 1946 recording mentioned by Musiclover, and would like more data so I can add it to The Definitive Doris Day Discography. Thanks again and Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 05 Feb 2016, 02:09

Texas, my information shows a recording date of Aug. 29 for the 1946 version.

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 05 Feb 2016, 21:45

Thanks Musiclover for the info on "It Could Happen To You." The Discography notes show 29 Aug 1946 to be towards the end of Miss Day's last recordings with Les Brown. There were several AFRS-Magic Carpet sessions from Hollywood Palladium during August 1946, with the last one being 27 August 1946. Do you know if this was another Magic Carpet session or a One Night Stand? Please provide as much info as possible so that I can add this data to the Discography.
Thanks in advance, and Happy Days
Texas Gonzalo

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 06 Feb 2016, 15:17

Texas, sorry that I don't have details readily available about this recording because all of my reference material is in storage at the moment. I think you are correct, though, that she didn't record anything under her contract with Brown after August 1946. As I recall, she began making solo radio appearances in September of that year.