Doris Day -My Heart CD -2011

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
Johnny
Honorary Member

Doris Day -My Heart CD -2011

Unread post by Johnny » 07 Dec 2016, 22:58

Listening today to Doris singing songs from My Heart brought to mind a mix of feelings and memories of people I have shared time with over the years. It is such a beautiful album and makes me appreciate such a gift.

The songs listed on the album are:

Hurry, It's Lovely Up Here
Daydream
The Way I Dreamed It
Heaven Tonight
My One & Only Love
My Heart
You Are So Beautiful
Life Is Just A Bowl of Cherries
Disney Girls
Stewball
My Buddy
Happy Endings
(Terry Melcher with introduction by Doris Day)
Ohio

"Doris Day personally selected the songs on this extra-special collection of previously unreleased recordings with a few of her all-time favorites.
This Album is Dedicated To The Memory of Terry Melcher".
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day -My Heart CD -2011

Unread post by Johnny » 08 Dec 2016, 00:10

Album Cover.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 08 Dec 2016, 06:16

Yes Johnny, they did a great job re-mastering the recordings and giving them totally new arrangements [from the 1980s basics].

I particularly love "You are so Beautiful" - it is such a shame Doris didn't record more around this time- I always dreamed Concord [jazz] would get to her in the 1980s [as they did Rosemary Clooney] and have her [Doris] record the classic American songbook songs - as they did with Rosie on a plethora of albums at that time and through the 1990s.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 09 Dec 2016, 12:49

Hi Johnny,

Opening the forum yesterday made my heart jump! I read: Doris Day -My Heart 2.... WoW I thought, could it be true... But it was your message... hahaha.

I love this album and think it's a great one. Love all the "new" songs, and wish there were more. For years is : "This Is The Way I Dreamed It" my al time favorite song. I had it on music cassette, and a friend transferred it to a cd. Nine years ago I uploaded it to YouTube. Not the best video there, but one of my very first.

With Music, Movies and Memories now available. A lot of the 1985 sessions are now around, but as Jas stated loved to hear Doris sing songs from the American songbook too.

Maybe one day we will find out that Doris is still in the recording studio today... (dreams dreams dreams)

P

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 09 Dec 2016, 13:10

Peter,

I had not watched This Is The Way I Dreamed It video before. It is a gorgeous song that sweeps the listener into a dream state. Listening to Doris sing always makes my day better. We should never stop dreaming.

Thank you so much. Have a great weekend!
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Musiclover » 09 Dec 2016, 23:07

Peter, your video is really nice. I think this song is one of several that dispels the notion held by some critics that Doris's voice was unsuited to singing soft rock. Terry did a solid job on the back-up vocal, too.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 14 Dec 2016, 07:22

Very nice video, Peter, I really enjoyed it, and that's a great song choice too.

I wish Doris had found a wonderful recording opportunity after The Doris Day Show ended. It would have been heaven to hear her backed by a first rate orchestra with topnotch songs and arrangements. Would have loved for her to work with the likes of Don Costa, Gordon Jenkins, Nelson Riddle or Peter Matz. With the right set list and production backing her, Doris would have killed it and probably garnered some major Grammy love too. It would have reminded everyone that she was one of our very best singers ever.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 14 Dec 2016, 08:42

I agree Michael.

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Musiclover » 14 Dec 2016, 12:09

Right you are, Michael. I recall her commenting that she had wanted to work with Henry Mancini, but that Marty wouldn't let her. Too bad that he either couldn't admit, or didn't recognize, that her musical instincts were so much better than his own.