Doris Day - With A Smile And A Song -Compilation

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
Johnny
Honorary Member

Doris Day - With A Smile And A Song -Compilation

Unread post by Johnny » 04 Aug 2017, 11:30

Doris Day With a Smile and a Song.jpg
Doris Day's With A Smile And A Song compilation cd was released on April 3-2012. It should not be confused with Doris' October 1964 release of an original album with the same title. The 1964 album was recorded by Doris with Jimmy Joyce and The Children's Chorus. It had twelve songs.

The 2012 compilation is a two disc set that includes songs from Doris' films on disc one. On disc two, the songs are from Doris' Columbia recording career. Doris Day curated this compilation herself.

There are wonderful surprises on compilation albums where magnificent songs appear that had not been at the forefront on Doris' original albums.

The song In Love In Vain by Jerome Kern and Leo Robin and the Andre Previn trio is outstanding. Listening to Doris sing this song in such a deep and heartfelt way, breaks your heart.

With A Smile And A Song is one of the very best of the Doris Day compilation albums.

Disc One - Songs From Doris' Films

On Moonlight Bay
Till We Meet Again
It Had To Be You
I'll See You In My Dreams
It's Magic
By The Light Of The Silvery Moon
Secret Love
I Speak To The Stars
Love Me Or Leave Me
At Sundown
Shaking The Blues Away
Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera)
Pillow Talk
My Romance
Little Girl Blue

Disc Two - 15 songs

Easy To Love
Imagination
You Go To My Head
Don't Take Your Love From Me
But Beautiful
The Song Is You
Our Love Is Here To Stay
Oh, But I Do
Here We Go Again
Fools Rush In (Where Angels Fear To Tread)
In Love In Vain
With A Smile And A Song
Desafinado (Slightly Out Of Tune)
Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps (Quizs, Quizas, Quizas)
There They Are

Without a doubt, With A Smile And A Song is one of my favorite Doris Day compilation albums. It is a true pleasure to hear. Take a listen to In Love In Vain. While I was researching this album I came across an article that said In Love In Vain was on Doris' Duet album with Andre Previn. It is not on my original album or later released cd. While I was listening to the song, it brought to mind the heartache Doris' experienced in her marriages. The skill with which she illuminates the interruption is incomparable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Johnny