Romance On The High Seas Songs

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
Johnny
Honorary Member

Romance On The High Seas Songs

Unread post by Johnny » 27 Oct 2017, 18:25

Looking at Romance On The High Seas today on TCM, I was struck by Doris singing It's You Or No One. In the scene at night on the ship's deck, she is standing alone, dressed in a gown of white and silver looking to the sky. It is an incredibly moving romantic scene where Doris shines.

Doris' Academy award nominated hit It's Magic is the song we most strongly associate with the film. It occurred to me how it overshadows It's You Or No One in one's memory.

The other songs by Doris, I'm In Love and She's A Latin From Manhattan are delightful. Put 'Em In A Box, Tie 'Em With A Ribbon and Throw Them In the Deep Blue Sea with the Page Cavanaugh Trio is memorable.

Brazilian Rhapsody is a joyous musical number.

I have found some songs from Romance On The High Seas but have not found a film soundtrack. The film is bright, breezy and uplifting as is the music.

The music from this film really deserves more attention.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Romance On The High Seas Songs

Unread post by Musiclover » 28 Oct 2017, 14:34

Several songs from ROTHS are included in later compilation albums, but I don't believe that an album was ever released for this film. I think that two factors could have been part of the reason. Although profitable, the film wasn't a huge success; it reached a position only in the low 60s, according to Variety. And, Doris's marketability as a solo vocalist really became a sure thing only after "It's Magic," when she had several Top 20 hit singles within about a 6-month period. Immediately then, beginning with "Young Man with a Horn" in 1950, producing albums from her movies was the norm.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 30 Oct 2017, 11:49

The score to this film was outstanding and Its you or no-one - became a standard too - being recorded by many of the greats - as recently as the early 1990s by Anita O'Day [in a later CD].

I love how Doris sings this particular song in the film in two distinct styles- more swinging at first and then softer and slower - each fabulous.

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie » 06 Nov 2017, 19:05

"The other songs by Doris, I'm In Love and She's A Latin From Manhattan are delightful."

Johnny: You wrote the above in a recent post of yours regarding the songs in Romance On The High Seas. I don't recall a song called She's A Latin From Manhattan. I even watched the movie again the other night and if it's in there, I missed it. I'm puzzled. Can you say more about it?

Thanks, Renie

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 06 Nov 2017, 22:32

Thanks Renie for bringing to my attention the She's A Latin From Manhattan song.

While I was researching to see if there is a Romance On The High Seas soundtrack, I came across this information on She's A Latin From Manhattan.

It was composed by Harry Warren and the lyrics were by Al Dubin. It stated the song was briefly sung by Doris Day in the Baker Travel Agency scene.

I saw that the song was also listed on the Romance On The High Seas Wikipedia page. I had originally thought it was an instrumental piece in the film.

Doris does sung a few notes in he travel agency but perhaps it is another song.
Johnny

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie » 07 Nov 2017, 14:18

Thanks Johnny for the additional information. I went back and revisited the travel agency scenes and can see how I easily missed it. It was indeed a few notes. I also listened to the whole song on youtube sung by someone else because they didn't have a DD version. I couldn't tell if Doris' few notes in the movie were from that song. Anyone remember a TV show from years ago called Name That Tune? Contestants could name a tune after hearing very few notes. We need one of them now!

Renie