Music critic Will Friedwald on Doris Day.

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
howard
Special Contributer

Music critic Will Friedwald on Doris Day.

Unread post by howard » 02 Dec 2017, 19:08

From Will Friedwald's recent book release, "The Great Jazz and Pop Vocal Albums" ... an interesting observation:

"Doris Day, traditonally, has on the whole been taken a lot less seriously than singers of comparable stature who happen to have a lot more turbulence in their careers, like Edith Piaf, Billie Holiday, and Judy Garland All three of them sang no shortage of upbeat, cheeful songs, but they all were tragically self-destructive in their personal lives. Somehow, it’s easier to regard a diva as a great artist if she’s always on the verge of doing herself in - paging Amy Winehouse."
Like Irene Dunne done.

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Music critic Will Friedwald on Doris Day.

Unread post by Musiclover » 02 Dec 2017, 22:04

Howard, thanks for this insightful and typically wry observation from Friedwald, especially the last sentence. I had the great pleasure of meeting Michael Hadley, a member of this forum, during his recent trip to Carmel and we briefly mentioned how DD and Judy Garland had similarities in their early years, but handled their careers and later lives so differently.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 03 Dec 2017, 05:59

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing this Howard. Strangely Doris career seems to be not recognized by so many people within the music/film business. Maybe it's because it looks that Doris didn't have the live of a superstar with all it's
relevant media attention. She did it on her own way, worked hard, didn't look much for press attention, did wat she found out was true to her heart. Well I like her that way...

P

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 03 Dec 2017, 07:33

We want our divas to suffer. Anyone blessed with the kind of talent that Doris, Barbra and Judy possess must pay one way or another. It’s the great leveler and while we covet each new artistic triumph, secretly, we sort of enjoy it when we realize they’re unhappy or that no one can have it all. Would Judy have been the gay icon she became and slay audiences at the Palace without people knowing what she was going through personally? Would Streisand still command top ticket prices at indoor arenas without her reputation as a controlling perfectionist who has more multi-hyphenates preceding her name than anyone else? These women amass a mystique that eventually supersedes and obscures their innate gifts. We build them up, we buy their records, we go to their movies, and then we commiserate with them when the flaws emerge or we take a little satisfaction in knowing that no one skates through life unscathed.

In Doris’ case, I think it was too easy for the media to characterize her as the bouncy, sunny girl next door who drank milk every morning and never stopped smiling. Her public image became so fixed that it was “uncool” to acknowledge her supreme gifts as a vocalist. Her vocal styling is almost too subtle for many to detect. She never resorted to showboating or unnecessary dramatic effect to prove that she could do it. Her ego was such that she served the lyrics and the melody while seamlessly injecting her delicate phrasing and timing to create a level of intimacy that I don’t anyone can touch. No, she never draped a mike cord over her shoulder or gestured frantically as she paced across a stage the way Judy did. And she never made the band wait until she held a note as long as she could to impress anyone. Not Doris, who managed to nail Secret Love in one take (Can you imagine Streisand riding a bike to the recording session and walking out fifteen minutes later?) and simply (key word) made it look so easy that she never got the credit she so richly deserved.

Judy, thank you for your gracious comment and I return it 100%. It was such a pleasure meeting you in Carmel.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Musiclover » 03 Dec 2017, 14:23

Doris's focus has always been different from many others in the entertainment industry. In addition to what Michael has noted, I think another reason that her critics were dismissive was that, although she was hugely industrious, she was not ambitious -- and ambition seems to be more highly valued than industry. In the mid-1960s, she told a reporter, "The CAREER [my emphasis] doesn't mean anything to me, but I enjoy this business very much."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 05 Dec 2017, 06:27

Thanks for sharing this Howard and for the insightful comments thereafter.

Personally, I do not think Doris was as sunny and "ordinary" as many critics would like to make out- with such talent there must come other traits - and I certainly do not say this as a criticism - in fact any [slightly] negative thing [or what is reported as a negative] about Doris [to me] is a plus and just makes her more human.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 24 Dec 2017, 12:29

Thanks so much Howard for sharing critic Will Friedwald's observations on Doris' music career and starting such and interesting discussion.

Edith Piaf, Billie Holiday, and Judy Garland are music legends by virtue of their immense talent. Their public suffering and drama were part of their personas and legendary status.

Doris Day's firm discipline as an artist in music and films as well as her strong sense of self helped her commitment to her work. As we know, Doris has had just as much drama and suffering in her life as Billie pr Judy but made different choices to handle it privately. The drama was different but Doris suffered.

It is true the critics did not give Doris the immense credit she deserves by taking her work as seriously as Edith's, Billie's or Judy's. Doris has remained true to her work and herself by focusing on what is important which is doing the work perfectly. Doris' praise of Judy's and Ella Fitzgerald's talent illustrates her generosity of spirit. She appeared to demand more of herself than comparing herself to other artists.

Doris Day is a music and film legend. Her work has brought endless joy to countless fans over decades. It will stand the test of time. Perhaps one day critics will evaluate her work objectively and give her the same love and respect as her fans and the members of the Doris Day Forum.
Johnny