Doris's favorite 1966 recording

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Doris's favorite 1966 recording

Unread post by Musiclover » 24 Jul 2019, 02:13

On more than one occasion, I think, Doris was quoted as saying that "Secret Love" was her favorite song of all those she recorded. I've always wondered, but had been unable to discover, whether she had a favorite of the handful of singles she recorded in 1966 just prior to the expiration of her contract with Columbia. Of those, it's my view that 2 are standouts. One is "Every Now and Then," (which proves, contrary to what some critics have written that singing soft rock was no problem for Doris). To me, the other standout is "There They Are," with its reflective lyrics by her then neighbor, Paul Francis Webster. I was interested to discover today that that song was Doris's favorite of those she recorded in 1966.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Re: Doris's favorite 1966 recording

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 26 Jul 2019, 03:21

Hi Judy,

How did you manage to find out it was Doris favourite?

P

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Musiclover » 26 Jul 2019, 12:08

Hi, Peter --

It was just by chance that I noticed a "thumbs up" comment about a Youtube presentation. The comment was posted by someone who worked for her several years ago and who used to play internet videos for her. I can't quote it exactly, but the gist was, "I shared it with Doris and she said to thank you for making it. She loves the photos you chose of her leading men, and the song is her favorite of those she did then."

Judy

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 26 Jul 2019, 16:17

Hi Judy,

Thank you for your reply, that was indeed a great find. Love to hear such things.

P