September Song and My #1 Dream

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
docwheels
Spam Prevention: Yes

September Song and My #1 Dream

Unread post by docwheels »

UPDATE:

Found "My Number One Dream Came True" on YouTube - assume that was the song the reviewer was referring to.

But, only thing I can find for September Song with Les Brown is JoAnn Greer's version with the band - understand she became the band's female singer in 1953 - nice voice but not the uniqueness of Doris. Bet she (JoAnn Greer) was using Doris's charts. Anybody know if Doris ever recorded September Song?

----------
Was reading an August 1946 review of the July 31, 1946 performance of Les Brown Band at the Hollywood Paladium - review published in Billboard. It said of Doris: "Gal (Doris) is especially good on plaintive ballads such as You Were There, September Song, Sentimenal Journey and My No 1 Dream.

I'm assuming "You Were There" is "If You Were There." But, the closest I find in my music collection to "September Song" is "September in the Rain" (with orchestral backing - definitely not with a big band backing her) and I find nothing anywhere near to "My No 1 Dream."

Since I like to think I"m getting close to having collected all of Doris's recorded materials - I'm wondering if any of you could point me toward "September Song" and My No 1 Dream - both with Les Brown. Or would these have been performed live but never recorded?
1946_Aug_Billboard_Les Brown Doris on vocals.PNG

Renie
Forum Friend

Re: September Song and My #1 Dream

Unread post by Renie »

I have September Song as #20 on a CD entitled Blue Skies. Looks like the composers and publisher are listed
but not the band. And My Number One Dream Came True is #15 on Disc 2 of The Complete Doris Day With Les Brown, a 2 CD album.

Renie

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Docwheels, the recording date on my copy of "My Number One Dream Came True" (music by Les Brown, lyrics by Bud Green) is 8/29/46. That would make it one of the final 3 or 4 songs Doris sang with Brown. I believe it was recorded in a studio; it does not sound like a recording from a bandstand.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi all,

Here is the complet list of songs from that event. The radioshow isn't found yet.
1946 – 07 – 31 On the stand
With: Doris Day, Jack Haskell & Butch Stone
Music: Les Brown & His Band Of Renown
1. This Can't Be Love
2. On The River Sainte Marie
3. Frim Fram Sauce - Butch Stone
4. The Outskirts Of Town - Butch Stone
5. Hey! Ba-Be-Ri-Bop - Butch Stone
6. You Where There - Doris Day
7. September Song - Doris Day
8. My Number One Dream Come True - Doris Day
9. Sentimental Journey - Doris Day
10. Cynthia - Jack Haskell
11. I Guess I'll Have The Papers - Jack Haskell
12. Laughing On The Outside - Jack Haskell

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer

Unread post by texas gonzalo »

Peter, thanks for posting the details on the 31 July 1946 One Night Stand. I have added that program to the Doris Day Definitive Discography. I do have one question on one of the songs. According to my entries in the DDDD that song was also included as AFRS Magic Carpet #458, August 1946, but the song was entitled "If You Were There." Also Renie noted that the CD "Blue Skies" contains the song "Septermber Song." In looking at the song listings for the CD, the song is "Septermber In The Rain" Please verifty. Happy Days, Texas Gonzalo

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie »

This is interesting. There are two songs, "September Song" and "September in the Rain." On the back
cover of the Blue Skies album it states that song number 20 is "September Song." I found the lyrics for
both songs and listened to Doris sing number 20 again only to find she is definetly singing "September
in the Rain." Thus, the information on the CD back cover and the insert is wrong.

Renie

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi again,

This is a Les Brown version of The September Song.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RLo68cbRBE[/youtube]
Haven't found the Doris Day song yet. But still looking.

Hope this is a help.

Peter